Zulfadli Zulkifli

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well my third paragraph gives an indication of this.

ZZ has the talent as he was the last WJ Champ. He is 'special' in this sense.

But he has to forget about his past achievement as it was only good at the lower level. He has to prove himself further in the senior ranks. That's where he will be challenged in training and in competitions, but he will be closely monitored and I believe given as much opportunities to be exposed at international tournaments to hone his skills against other professionals.

Remember, LCW was once known as the "Kampong boy" for he could only win on home turf. It is no use if ZZ can only win at home. The world stage is where he should be familiar with. Hopefully he will not be another 'flash in the pan' like yoyo.

I am not persuaded that KLRC can provide him with the necessary resources to be a world champion. I think BAM, with its many years of experience in badminton and grooming of top professionals and past champions, will be a better bet. It is true that in the end, it depends very much on the player himself but he needs all the help to make it happen.

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    oh?the wjc held in malaysia?
    zul beat victor twice in malaysia?

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm not talking about the junior level anymore.

And I do not wish to prolong this discussion. :D

4. thetruth123

thetruth123 New Member

student
    looool..agree with u :p :p :p

5. thetruth123

thetruth123 New Member

student
    i mean..agree with limsy :D

6. athram1010

athram1010 Regular Member

freelance
    Give him a break .. he only 19 ...he has long way to go
    why everyone keep comparing him with viktor...
    chen long (WJC 2007) only make a breaktrough in 2009 -by winning the philippine open (age 20) and reaching semifinal super series at age 21...
    Wang zhengMing (WJC2008) also only make a breaktroughin 2010 - by reaching final of badminton asia final (age 20)
    Hou Tianwei (WJC 2009) - still not making a breaktrough ... now rank 299 ( highest 114)... already age 21...

actuallly zul already make a good start ... now rank 83.
    let him progress .. he still very young...

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Chinese players situations is completely different to ZZ's, they are controlled as to what tournaments they play, ZZ isn't. Everyone compares ZZ to Viktor as ZZ beat Viktor (although Viktor was ill)

Thing is ZZ has proven recently that he can't even beat players that were playing in the WJC that he won, that shows a lot IMO

8. ksquared

ksquared Regular Member

Why slam him when he is just starting?Everyone progresses at different rate. He is already beating malaysian players more senior than him. That is a good start.Viktor may have progressed at a faster rate. That doesnt mean ZZ is no good.

9. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Comparing whose canon is bigger??

They worked their assex off everyday for years

and here we have keyboard talks??

This ain't constructive IMHO.

What Loh has suggested for ZZ to go BAM for training

is something his father seriously needs to consider this very moment. :p

10. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    KLRC has brought ZZ this far and to go further, needs $$$, lots of it. Andrew may have the mines to make gold bars but BAM has something bigger and easier to mine like RM20M to blow away...and those millions keep coming annually;). With LCW prolly cooked in 2 years time, BAM needs to find a new saviour/s and ZZ in his 'special position' may have the opportunity to tap into those ringgits that LCW needs no more. If LCW needs to play all these SS with BAM unlimited funding support to get the competitive 'training' that he was deprieved from getting at home (i.e. his teammates are no good lah to spar with him, maybe needs 2-3 man tag-team) then I would question, how many gold bars that Andrew needs to give up to send ZZ out to play some serious stuff against the big boys...I understand that man is generous, supportive and what-nots, but those mines have only so many gold bars or dust in them to harvest before they dry up like deserts. And still a private company, benevolence can go so far IMO. Andrew against BAM-malaysian government funding, no chance lah....even though BAM management sucks, follow the ringgits;)

#790 OneToughBirdie, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  11. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Beating out the seniors locally, okay that is great but those seniors cannot even get out of SS QF, 1st or 2nd rounds, so I wouldn't want to brag too loud...getting tips from HJ or MS, HS/MS won't come cheap or free, someone has to pay the coach to feed their wifey/kids....and still ZZ has to play internationally to get those costly experience. Coaching without actually playing internationally is like learning kung fu for years but no sparring, so will those good looking moves actually work:D

12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Lets see what happens to Iskandar, whom I consider to be better than Zul, skills wise. As in Iskandar at 19 was better than Zul at 19. Zul if in BAM, he has to wait in queue, most likely end up luke goh soon huat

13. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    We are high income society, has to learn to queue...

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    the 1st part of the sentence is nothing close to true
    culture cant learn,it can only been practice

15. athram1010

athram1010 Regular Member

freelance
    i think ZZ should just stay as independant player ....he steadily making a progress .. not as fast as victor but still consider good
    i see lot of talented played player during junior .... still not even make a breakthrough through bam programmes like
    1.) Mohamad arif latif - (asian junior runner up 2007).. higest rank only 49
    2.) Iskandar zulkarnain -( asian junior and World junior 2009 runner up )... highest rank only 105
    3.) Loh Wei sheng - (asian junior runner up 2010) - rank lowly 187
    4.) others like lim fang yang, goh soon huat ...and etc
    5.) misbun ramdan - ( same batch of iskandar ) ..only started to improve this year and rank 64

all of the name above are BAM player ... with all that facility and talent they still cannot produced another lee chong wei .....

look at Tan chun seang ... after being quite from BAM and become independant .. he steadily making a progress even though he was banned to play in asia ... he was rank lowly 150 august last year ... now he slowly making progress as independant player ... now rank 39
    Another player quit BAM lim fang yang ....and become independant player (rank 177 when he quit BAM)...now he doing fine last tournament by reaching quaterfinal in us open beating player higher rank than him like misha zilberman ( rank 66) and michael lahnsteiner (58) before bowing to riichi takeshita (rank 128)

i hope to see more independant player coming from malaysia especially women player

16. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

agreed... but a win is still a win... from what i seen he aint bragin' (at least not yet) both feet still securely planted on the ground.. slowly but surely he is stamping his mark... kampung so far.. but hey... where else should you start?

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I also believe in the same thing...

I believe that independent players have more desire to prove that they can remain independent, and therefore, they will work harder (to show us their determination that they can do it by themselves).

18. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    independent players also has to think more...Further more BAM is old school... No question ask kinda school

19. freakout89

freakout89 Regular Member

ZZ has to learn a lot from LCW to be successful. Hopefully, when DLCW retires, he can coach this guy, potential star in the future.

20. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

So much for being the world and asian junior champion... he just lost to one of his junior opponents on the scene Tam Chun Hei in the SENIOR stage, in the Vietnam Open... who isn't even supposed to be better than Ng Ka Long. Looks like his transition is going very badly indeed! I cannot deny that Zulfadli is performing way under-par now!