Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not sure if this has been posted before. good watch if you understand Chinese...

[video=youtube;7S7x7U6OFnU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S7x7U6OFnU[/video]

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

play decent badminton and drive a range rover? now, this is class.

and his mum can hit the birdie as well.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

nice to see that he trains by tossing grenades and firing semi automatics to improve his power and accuracy... ;)

4. visor

visor Regular Member

And this is his result and reward for his training... [​IMG]

#3704 visor, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION]

*now* you tell me...

6. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    Yes, I can watch only not understand :):D

7. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    nice ride lin dan...interesting vid

8. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    don't forget he was driving a porsche at the beginning of the vid

9. kaitamasaki

kaitamasaki Regular Member

Does anyone have any idea how much Lin Dan can lift inside the gym? I've been trying to find the numbers for Lin Dan's "explosiveness". If he really is that explosive, he should be showing rather staggering numbers for lifts like the clean and jerk, perhaps the squat, vertical jump, etc.

Oh, and if you know Lee Hyun Il's (commentator said he lifts a lot in an AE'11 match) or Lee Chong Wei's, reply anyway :).

10. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Aah yes, she is one of the very few players with endless badminton legs. They never seem to end. Very leggy.;)

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

My rough translation of the Chinese subtitles and voice-over:

Hi everybody,this is the most beloved and extraordinary broadcasting station 8032 Zhao He, I am Sian Chen. What are you doing now? Today, are you happy? Linxi's lyric has this 'Be forever bright and cheerful, who doesn't wish to? Trials and tribulations are like wind and rain,life is an arena'. What do these words have on you? No matter what, half a day has gone by, relax, go home and dine with your family. Although it's now the peak of after-office hours but you've me Sian Chen to accompany you.

Yesterday we talked about defeat, actually there's one person I admire the most. Let's share Lin Dan's world.

(Lin Dan speaking) - At that time I was still very young and striving to realize my championship dreams, so I was unable to adjust myself well because I was lacking in experience then. Actually, the match situation was quite good, I could even have won it (the Athens Olympics 1st round match). But I just didn't know why, towards the end I couldn't play it right. I lost that match.

(Lin Dan swimming) - That's my experience which I think might be more than what my peers did. If things had gone too smoothly for me, perhaps I might achieve one success and that's the end of it. It's because you've been through so much, you know what is not easy at all and cherish it the more, and let you realize the great significance of the 16 world championships dream( Lin Dan holding aloft the Thomas Cup trophy).

(Lin Dan at the door of his home with Mum and XXF,and pet dog, named Xinba, barking in the background) -- (Lin Dan called to his dog) - Xinba. (His Mum) - Aiyoh, come in.

(Lin Dan petting his dog) - When I was a little child, I was rather mischievous as I was clingy towards Mum whereas Dad was quite strict with me, so naturally I was more afraid of him.

(Lin Dan as a small boy) - The first time I left my parents for my enrolment in a sports school(gymnasium) far away, though actually still in Fujian province, but that was the first time I left my hometown, I came to realize that I'd to do everything by myself. I struggled to cope with it and felt I very much needed them. I longed for their phone calls hoping that one day after training or class, my parents would suddenly appear at the school gate. I could see the main gate from where I was situated. Sometimes I'd asked myself, would they come, what would happen if they appear, that showed how much I missed them.

(Lin Dan's parents walking the dog) - Living conditions were poor then, not everybody could own a badminton racquet, and we couldn't compare with those living in big cities. Material goods were few, it didn't mean with money you could get a racquet. So I hadn't expected that taking up badminton could be so complicated and thought once I went there I could just play. Without the requisite condition, you can only do the simplest things,start with learning the basic exercises to shape up (Boy Lin Dan doing pushups). That's how I trained for a long period of time and I discovered I didn't wish to carry on.

(Lin Dan's mum speaking) - He said, Mum , everyone has a racquet except me.

(Lin Dan) - The coach said, on one condition, take this shuttlecock and throw it at the glass pane and see if you can break the glass.

(Lin Dan's mum) - He would do this everyday i.e. throw the shuttlecock at the glass pane.

(Lin Dan as a boy) - I felt cheated.

(Lin Dan's mum) - How can the glass pane be pierced through (by the shuttlecock)? impossible.

(Lin Dan) - At that time I thought it's possible and so continued at it for a very long time. Even if you let me do it now, it's not possible. Mum went to talk to the coach who later gave me a racquet that was broken before (at the shaft) and wrapped over with a tape. It was the first time I held a so-called badminton racquet.

(Broadcaster Sian Chen speaking) - Never thought that a broken racquet could unexpectedly create a 16 time world champion[Should be 17 now, the video was made before the London Olympics]. What exactly is the terrific force driving him?

(Lin Dan in the streets of London and dining in a restaurant) - Still,mum's cooking is better.

(Lin Dan in a vehicle and someone posed him a question) - Clearly you didn't win the award this time (referring to Laureus World Sports Award), why do you come? (Lin Dan's reaction) - Huh, what, what?

(Lin Dan facing the mirror) - Little fellow, step on it(JiaYou). Attending the award ceremony this time should give me the impetus. Many people know I've given the best of me to this sport. For the Laureus Awards, you're at most one of the nominees, that's all right. Actually, I'm here this time not to represent myself nor CBA but for the sport of badminton.

(At the Laureus Award ceremony) - This is my first time at the Laureus Awards, I'm extremely happy and honoured because not every sportsperson has such an opportunity. It's also my wish that in the near future, there will be more and more Chinese sportspersons coming here to attend and hopefully receive the awards;my best wishes to them.

(Lin Dan after the ceremony is over) - This is my first impression of the Laureus Awards and perhaps my personal summary. I've gained on top of the award practically all the championships/titles leading to it. In my domain,I'm in no way inferior to other excellent sportspersons in other domains in comparison nor unworthy to accept the award. However, attending this Laureus Awards makes me realized not many people know about badminton. They cited several examples, such as Usain Bolt's 100m sprint record, tennis speed of 201 km/h, or even F1 racing speed of 321 km/h. As a sportsperson,I felt quite uncomfortable because they didn't know badminton is the world's fastest ball sport. As a matter of fact, badminton fails to receive much attention, many don't know what badminton is about, as such this point makes me feel miserable. In China, badminton is very hot but perhaps not so in many other countries, so it set me thinking, does the problem lie with the players or BWF or the various member associations? Strictly speaking, everyone has a responsibility, most importantly the main thing is to promote the sport, BWF must push to gain the sport's acceptance in many more countries, at least let many sports enthusiasts know the glamour of badminton. Only then will it benefit badminton's future development.(Lee CW in the background).

(Lin Dan hand on left cheek) - As it is, already many people cannot remember the names of the 51 gold medalists at the Beijing Olympics. This is rather sad to me. What is the true significance of the gold medal? Is it the moment when you stepped on the winner's podium? I've been with the national team for 11 years in my career and I've come to gradually understand that sometimes sportspersons do not just pursue the gold medal but to know anew what the meaning of sport is, that it's not merely a tool for every sportsperson to gain the gold medal.I will wholeheartedly devote my effort to badminton or it's possible I might quit badminton.

(Lin Dan's parents at the airport) - Typically,every sportsperson leaves their parents from young to lead a sports life. The other time at Liuzhou, I was delighted because my parents came to watch me compete. My parents seldom come together to watch me play, in fact they rarely do. My mum would be nervous and seeing them watch me play would make me nervous too as I want to perform better. You know, all parents are like that, they are afraid of affecting me, so are reluctant to come; as a result, they dare not come in future.

(Lin Dan's mum at the airport and someone asking her) - Where are you going? (Lin Dan's mum) - To watch Lin Dan compete. (Lin Dan speaking) - Still they came and I felt a bit nervous, fearful I might lose again and make them feel more stressed.

(Lin Dan walking into the arena) - In the end I won the final, my maiden Superseries Finals title. They came and were elated.

(Lin Dan holding a birthday cake) - All of them came to celebrate my mum's birthday, something which she has never experienced before. (Someone said: make a wish) (Mum asked : who knows it's my birthday?)(Dad said: Everyone knows). There were many of my teammates that day who knew it and came to wish her happy birthday. That day my mum was overjoyed. (Lin Dan kissed his mum and someone said: Kissed loudly, make a smacking sound - and he obliged the second time).

(Lin Dan during the Beijing Olympics) - At age five I started practising badminton. I sacrificed most of time and joys of life to badminton. I hadn't thought too much about the ultimate goal of the Olympics - it's something I cannot imagine nor provide an answer.(Then Lin Dan said something that I cannot make sense of: I will look for a robotic cat). So used to such a tempo of life or perhaps a bit sick of this kind of life or maybe need to (re)adjust my thoughts. If I want to persist, I hope to take a break. Therefore during the break time, I wish to do some of the things that interest me or which I've never done before.

(Lin Dan beating the drum set) - I hope to bring something different to my fans and those who like me. Badminton isn't my entire life, I still have my family. We come together to enjoy the journey of life, that'll do.

(Lin Dan playing badminton with his mum) - Perhaps when I lose, they pat me on the shoulder or give me a hug;when I win, they applaud. These are to me good enough,maybe. Victory and defeat are important, no doubt,but it's not the only thing that matters.

(Lin Dan at the Beijing Olympics winner's podium) - I just want to do well. I believe many people hope to see me mount the winner's podium again.

(The wording on the screen): I am someone who easily goes to extremes, never in the middle. For badminton, I give my all wholeheartedly. Only wish to do well and not consider the outcome. In a carefree,natural manner,face my life's arena .

#3711 Justin L, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  12. isben

isben Regular Member

Engineer
    Anyone know how to get Lin Dan autobiography?

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Having sacrificed most of his time and pleasures in life to his first love, badminton,since the age of nine, and leading an almost regimented life as well, Lin Dan is like a bird set free from a big,beautiful cage in a world-class bird park, nevertheless still a cage. So naturally when given a chance during his long six-month break to try and experience other things,not just commercial activities, he would not only throw himself into but also enjoy them like never before, the more so as he's said he's one who tends to go to extremes.

That's why I think his comeback in March wouldn't be plain sailing; it won't be the same Lin Dan for at least the first six months for all the reasons I've said before.

Btw,about his withdrawal from the All England, I've read that it was actually Li Yongbo's decision after consultation with Xia Xuanze. They both felt that it would be irresponsible of them to let him compete just barely a few days after his return to the national training centre without sufficient systematic training and a proper evaluation of his condition; besides, it might subject him to higher risk of injury. Believe it or not, Lin Dan was reported to have said he was keen to play at the AE, a title he has won five times before.

Li YB also suggested that Lin Dan's first comeback tournament would probably be the Asia Badminton Championship in April, Taipei. As for the Sudirman Cup, the decision whether to field him would be made depending on an assessment of his form nearer to the event. I've noticed that Lin Dan was also removed from the Swiss Open GPG list,apparently for the same reasons as the AE.

Another thing is Lin Dan, after winning his second Olympic gold, is no longer reluctant or nervous to have his family members watch him in competition; in fact,he is going to make it the norm as he wish to integrate his badminton life with his family, putting the latter first as he is past caring too much on victory and defeat.

14. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In post #3712 above, I somewhat mistranslated: "(Lin Dan's parents walking the dog) - Living conditions were poor then...." when what he meant was the standard of living back then (about 25 years ago) was low, esp in his obscure town, and his family wasn't well-off....

Interestingly, in the sport school, the young children as in Lin Dan's case were not allowed to touch a badminton racquet until they have build up their physical fitness i.e. laid a good foundation in physique. I supposed it's natural for most people at all ages to want to spend more time swinging the racquet than training in physical exercises. No wonder, as I've read elsewhere, it's not uncommon for coaches to complain of their players being lacking in discipline at training, referring more to the physical aspect than skills.

That's why during Lin Dan's six-month break, he still make it a point to do regular exercises on his own as far as possible, at the gym for example. Apparently that isn't enough for Li YB and Xia XZ, for good reason, who insist on a full assessment of his physical condition and that after sufficient,proper systematic training even as they express no doubt about his ability to maintain his skills more or less.

I'm curious, do older players 30 and above still train just as hard, physically? I've in mind players like PG, Hu Yun, Boonsak and Lee HI, who continue to be at the top of their game past 30.

16. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    I think tailor-made training for athletes above 30 should be the gold standard, especially for players who have stamped their mark in the sports industry, ie world no. 1, olympic champ. China's women's singles player's rampant potentially career-ending injuries serves as a stark reminder. But I doubt any of Malaysian players train as hard as LCW, so no need to worry.

17. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    I think this LD-Xia duel has not been seen by majority of BCers. Furthermore, we can gauge the excitement meter of a game done in the best of 5 games, 7 points format. While watching this match, I think one of LD's best trainer is Xia. I do not think there are any players who can have a 'one on one' duel with his coach with a sparrring quality of Xia's calibre. Other coaches maybe be good in coaching, but one on one sparring? There are not many indeed. Not Misbun, not Rashid, Not Seu Bock. Gopichand? Maybe but not as good as Xia. Peter Gade, yes probably. It is said while one against 4 or 5 players during training though adds the challenge needed to train a player, one on one is the perfect formula as it mimics the environment that you are playing in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZn3yUw6DzE&list=WLBDD7E71B061E467D

#3717 Pakito, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Finally, Lin Dan's six-month break is over and he's back to the CBA national training center. For the last six months,he's been enjoying himself thoroughly like never before (hopefully not too much). But he somewhat lamented that most of his time were spent on all sorts of things rather than with his family which he claimed was too little; in fact, he actually said he spent more time on the plane than at home. For his family, he at last, just the week before his return to the national team, only managed to go on a five-day holiday cum honeymoon of sorts with Xie Xingfang and their respective parents to the Maldives.

Welcome back, Lin Dan !

19. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Actually from what his personal trainer said, as far as training off court goes, he's never let up after the Olympics. Training cycle is 13 days out of 14 (1 day rest out of 2 weeks). REGARDLESS of where he is in the world, the trainer is with him. It's after the conclusion of the CBSL season where he truly let the rackets sit, so they (CBA) will probalby focus more on court training rather than conditioning.

20. Agile_Monkey

Agile_Monkey Regular Member

Student
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGR27qo19mY