Adidas strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by blableblibloblu, May 12, 2013.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

This is exactly the comparison I had in mind. Tbh, I think the AP66 edges out the 66UM. And it'll be cheaper.

2. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Second string is in - PT66. Review by the end of the week.

4. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Mark

Unless I missed it you made specific comment to tension holding in the first string you tested.

Paul

5. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

Is that the thinnest in Adidas' range?

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

No - thinnest is the 0.66 Adipower 66.

I've recently set up a frequency testing program to measure this properly, but not in time for the first string:). It ended up at 1250 Hz, whatever that's worth, and going by sound alone, I doubt it lost more than 10% over the fortnight.

I've measured the new one at various intervals, and will do so for the others (but now I'm tempted to try everything again to get some hard numbers for all strings!).

7. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Just strung my duoforce with power tour 66, looks great in black :D Also strung my friend's duoforce with hybrid strings. I still have balance and adipower pro strings to try out soon!

IMG_1121.jpg
    20130608_144249.jpg

8. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Why is power and control mutually exclusive on the chart? Is it just saying which strings are more slippery or......?

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Adidas PT66 mini-review. Panda Revelation, 30x31.

Power - 6.5/10. Not especially powerful. I got the odd good smash and drive, but it felt like more work than the APP, especially with a short swing.

Control - 7/10. Less precise than the APP, but seemed to grip better with slicing.

Feel - 6.5/10. Not as "sudden", and loses touch on soft shots.

Sound - 6/10. Nothing to write home about.

Tension-holding - readings as follows:

[TABLE="width: 176"]
    [TR]
    [TD]0[/TD]
    [TD]1277[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD]1259[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]3[/TD]
    [TD]1246[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]12[/TD]
    [TD]1226[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]24[/TD]
    [TD]1219[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]36[/TD]
    [TD]1212[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]48[/TD]
    [TD]1208[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]72[/TD]
    [TD]1200[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]96[/TD]
    [TD]1199[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]first session[/TD]
    [TD]1182[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]second session[/TD]
    [TD]1178[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

No quantitative comparison (yet), but seemed average to my ears.

Conclusion... to be honest, it's a bit of a "nothing" string - it will hit hard if you make it, but it doesn't give anything away. Control - the "selling point" - isn't anything special and the feel is only OK, as is the sound.

(Winston said I've started the five-course Adidas "meal" with dessert: the APP. Look slike he might be right:))

10. fRAGMa

fRAGMa Regular Member

Up @Adipower Pro? I'm expecting those strings next week and I would really appreciate a versus with the bg 66 UM as I said few weeks ago.

I'm pretty curious about how many lbs/kilos the string can hold at high tensions. The bg 66 Um can snap anytime when you string it above 26 lbs , I would be glad to see the adipower pro holding at least 28/30 without any problem. cough cough :)

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I got at least six hours out of it at 30x31 and it never broke. With plastic shuttles. And 10% prestretch.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have put adidas strings into one of my racquets. Quite deliberately, I don't know exactly which one it is. A type of 'blind' testing. I think the tension feels a bit low for me at 25lbs. I need to do another restring at a higher tension and test the difference.

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Adidas Power Hybrid mini-review. Panda Revelation, 30x31.

Stringing - a strange experience. As [MENTION=1]kwun[/MENTION] has already implied, the mains are very slippery - like old Nanogy - but the crosses are reasonably rough. Cue easy, but LOUD, weaving.

Power - 7/10. With full swings, it hit pretty hard - had no trouble reaching the baseline when I wanted to. However, shots off a short swing needed a bit more "push-through". Likes smashing and driving.

Control - 7/10. The roughness comes in handy, and it slices well from the rear-court and on "cut" drives. It also blocks smashes pretty accurately. It's a tiny bit bouncy close to the net, though.

Feel - 7.5, 6/10. Why two ratings? When hit hard, there is a pleasant - and surprising - crispness for such a thick string. However, the situation reverses as I approach the net, where it becomes a bit "dead". I could barely feel net spinners, for example.

Sound - 7/10. Thick string = lots of bass.

[TABLE="width: 157"]
    [TR]
    [TD]0[/TD]
    [TD]1284[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD]1274[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]3[/TD]
    [TD]1263[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]6[/TD]
    [TD]1257[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]12[/TD]
    [TD]1249[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]24[/TD]
    [TD]1241[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]48[/TD]
    [TD]1234[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]72[/TD]
    [TD]1230[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]1st session[/TD]
    [TD]1210[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]2nd session[/TD]
    [TD]1193[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Held on very well until I started playing it, then took a bit of a dive. I suspect this has to do with the roughness - surfaces with high friction tend to stay in place and then "judder" when moved against each other, and the friction from the crosses may have held the tension until the shots started beating it out. Have to keep an eye on this if I ever do BG80 and 85 in future.

Conclusion... I'm not sure what the hybridization is bringing to the party, but overall I found it fairly good. I would have liked some more feel with softer shots, but a thick string (or strings, in this case) was always going to fall down here. The colour combination will probably sucker a fair few into buying it, I should add:).

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Was stringing the Power Balance and a grommet slipped out - the string was pulled against the bare frame and snapped. Infuriating - I really liked the look of that stuff:mad:.

Anyway, Power Performance has gone in - safely - and it's now the last one.

15. fRAGMa

fRAGMa Regular Member

Sounds great tbh for a 0.66mm string. I usually string my ng 99 between 12 and 13 kilos (so 27,5 lbs) more or less on my Zforce and MJXXS but with my bg UM 66 I can forget it. And can't make it string over 12kilos (26.5 lbs). As said my stringer it feels at this tension like chewing gum.
    After a couple of weeks when im lucky , it snaps.

Give some feedback Mark to let me/us know how the string progresses and ofc when it snaps please. If It feels for example "dull" like the bg 66 UM after a short while..

Ive 'ordered it on MBS and still have nothing since more than 2 weeks :X, Living actually in Germany ...

greetz

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Unfortunately, I've been cutting the strings after two sessions - I got all five to test, and there aren't many club nights left this season! However, if a string lasts me two sessions at 31, I consider it acceptable, and anything after that is a bonus.

Bear in mind: I never break strings. Ever.:)

(P.S. If you want a HARD string, try Li Ning NS30. Like playing with a frying pan.)

17. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    interesting how powerhybrid had a higher pitch than PT66

And for the hybrid thing, I think they just used the logic that the mains give power (so made them slippery) and that the crosses come in play when you slice the shuttle (made them rough)

18. fRAGMa

fRAGMa Regular Member

Hehe Ok Mark :)

Concerning li Ning I ve ordered the Ap62+ (x3) via MBS besides the adipower pro (also x3) .

About the NS30 I must admit I red few stuffs about it here and there but I'm a Thin gauge lover where strings have to be repulsive with a quite good feel of all "impacts" + a ****IN power noise lol. The more it makes some noise the more I wanna make holes in my opponent s court :p. So far the bg 66 UM gave me satisfaction but for a short while only due to the high tension (for this string +12 kilos/26,5lbs) .

I heard the ns30 was a great string, as you advised it, but how to compare it as it seems pretty different from the strings I'm usually using ^^

19. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    [MENTION=11783]Mark A[/MENTION]

How would you compare adipower pro with ZM62? Would you give the same review to zm62 as you did in 2011 on MBS?

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Adidas Power Performance mini-review. Panda Revelation, 30x31.

Power - 8/10. Nice surprise, right from the get-go. No trouble getting the shuttle from anywhere to anywhere (even the backhand clear had plenty of depth), and smashes and drives had some real sting. Deserves its "power" monniker.

Control - 7/10. Very good placement from closed-face shots, and not as wild at the net as the others.

Feel - 7/10. Lets you know when you've hit one, and has some nice delicacy at the net.

Sound - 7/10. Nice and crunchy, but lower pitched than some.

[TABLE="width: 150"]
    [TR]
    [TD]0[/TD]
    [TD]1265[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD]1256[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]3[/TD]
    [TD]1244[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]6[/TD]
    [TD]1235[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]12[/TD]
    [TD]1224[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]24[/TD]
    [TD]1210[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]48[/TD]
    [TD]1200[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]72[/TD]
    [TD]1199[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]1st session[/TD]
    [TD]1175[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]2nd session[/TD]
    [TD]1165[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Hmm... not great. Took two big hits after sessions, with a total loss of nearly 8%.

Conclusion... I'd say this string is certainly power-oriented, and it does the job well - there's no shortage of it. Thankfully, the control and feel don't suffer for it, but the tension loss is a bit poor. This would make a good tournament string, actually.