Net Shot Question(s)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Stratlover, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Stratlover

Stratlover Regular Member

Hi, I'm a 5'9" male who has been playing quite a bit of badminton for the past year and a half at my university. I would say my skill in some things, such as smashing, footwork, and speed are somewhat advanced, while my skill in other things, like net shots, tactics, and net interceptions are still developing. The reason for this is 1) I have not had any formal coaching and have only learned based on my instincts and matches and videos online and 2) I played tennis at a high level having been coached professionally for 6-7 years before playing badminton. i play as aggressive as I can usually and I just recently bought a 4U AT900P b/c my Ltd AT700 was just too slow on defense.

My question is this: when you hit any netshot, what should your margin of error be, both in relation to the height of the net and the service line and does this margin depend on how far your opponent's netshot is? And also, what is the correct technique for hitting a netshot that is farther back and cannot be tumbled or spun?

Thanks

2. lukasek97

lukasek97 Regular Member

well the error margin should be maximally about 10cm but there is still high risk of your opponent doing net kill

3. Monster

Monster Regular Member

10cm above the net?:eek:

That sounds like a huge margin!

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It very much depends on the situation, your abilities, and your opponent's abilities. You need to select a margin of error that gives you a high probability of getting the shuttle over the net, but also minimises the risk of your opponent killing the shuttle.

There's a relationship between your opponent's shot and your own. If the shuttle has been pushed deeper into court, then a really tight net shot is impossible. If the shuttle is already very near the net, then you can play a tighter net shot that falls nearer the net.

Push it gently back over the net.

You can usually add some undercutting (slicing under the shuttle). Push through the shuttle as you complete your forwards lunge; this will give the shuttle some spin.

5. Stratlover

What is the difference between this undercutting motion and the motion to hit a tumbling netshot?

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Any slicing motion will impart some added spin to the shuttle. When we talk about spinning or tumbling net shots, we usually mean net shots played with a component of sideways slicing.

These sideways-sliced net shots typically have some undercutting (slicing forwards) as well, but the major direction of slice is sideways. This tends to make the shuttle unstable, as it tumbles over itself one or more times.

When you're farther back, attempting to apply significant sideways spin will mean you're not imparting enough forwards speed to the net shot, and it won't pass the net. Slicing sideways is also technically difficult here, as the shuttle will be moving more quickly towards you while you attempt the sideways slice. This is where undercutting tends to become the dominant slicing direction, as you can apply it even against a fast drop shot.

As you get farther from the net, the spinning effect is less dramatic. For example, with an undercut net shot reply to a fast drop shot, there's no real tumbling effect, but the shuttle will dip downwards a little more sharply than if you had not applied any slice.

#6 Gollum, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  7. Stratlover

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    It is important when playing net shots to strike a balance, between vertical height and horizontal movement - If your opponent is far away from the net, then it is ok to hit a higher vertical net shot which it tighter horizontally to the net. The opposite is true if your opponent is close to the net.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Also, don't forget about cross court drop, which is easier to control the height above the net and can surprise your opponent if he had expected the straight drop.

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, although there looks to be a little in-to-out side-spin too.

11. ralph_lee

ralph_lee Regular Member

12. lukasek97

lukasek97 Regular Member

Well if you are starting or practicing net shots you'll then get closer and closer to net and I'm sure you are not playing PRO's