Gosen Ryoga Ougi, BRG04

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by aramistuscany, Oct 12, 2012.

1. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    At shuttle-house it's listed at JPY$27300. With a 20% discount (for 1st timer) it works to be JPY$21840. Which works out to be CDN$260 not including shipping costs. That's pretty expensive. :(

2. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Gosen high end racket are quite expensive. It is as expensive as the Yonex high end too

3. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

does anyone know the balance of the Ougi? tempting.. :p

4. mso663

mso663 Regular Member

I believe it's even balanced and stiff.

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i don't mind paying under $60USD for a "chinese" racket, but anything more expensive i want at least a "taiwanese" racket. :)

6. vajrasattva

bahh!! come on... :p the chinese's known for good quality stuffs too.. for centuries of excellent craftmanship.. porcelain... ceramics.. wood carvings.. jades... paintings..

its only after the post-cultural revolution and rapid industralizations that have had lead to the creation of a social stigma that chinese products often are inferior and.. overpriced.. if it doesnt cost only a few dollars...>.<

7. vajrasattva

the ougi has landed.. and just got it strung. unfortunately i'm scheduled for a wisdom tooth surgery tomorrow and might not have a chance to play tmr.. but its so tempting to go give a few hits!..

luxurious paint job feel, racket handle's longer than the shiden by 1cm odd or so.. this might be a game changer in terms of shaft stiffness feel

8. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Im getting mine for next week. Lucky to get one

9. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

I'm getting my Gosen Ryoga Ouji next week! heard that Shuttle house already sold out

being doing all the research...

1) Shaft made in Japan
    2) assemble in China (like wise with all the Yonex rackets)

From what i see... paintwork and quality are top-notch!

Ouji supposed to be grouped under the light headed racket... Hopefully i can do a review based on the comparism with my NS9900 and NR800.

anyway i favoured heavy head over light head for the smashing power!

light head rackets for me is just for toying with players that is not skilled.

Do not think that light head racket is easily to use.. as faster timing and strength are needed more than heavy head when comes to attacking play!

10. vajrasattva

maybe when i'm home i'll share some pictures i took of the ougi.. its a beauty, which is why i havent played with it much. these few days i had been toying with the issen instead, but have to be very careful not to swing too hard or overswing to prevent my elbow injury from popping up again

a better comparison for NS9900/NR800 would be the shiden instead though.. the ougi does not entirely feel that light, and despite its rating at stiffness +2, the longer handle with shorter shaft makes it feel, stiff

11. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

stiff doesn't mean head heavy... NS9900 is also stiff flex!

NS9900 handle is also long therefore long handle = faster response!

Ougi is know to be the upgraded version for Shiden! Issen should be the head heavy version and tenbu is balanced version.

based on the specs on the official website, it should be light headed racket definitely.

anyway please play with your Ougi and let me know your reviews on it.

anyway these are the rackets i owned: NS9900, AT900P, AT900T, NR700RP, NR800, N50II,N50, N90, N90II, N90II classic, Arc slash, Voltric 80, VTZF, Arc 11, C7LTD and finally... Gosen Ouji!

anyway i would like to try Victor.. but the paintwork quality is such a let-down!

12. mso663

mso663 Regular Member

I finally received my GOSEN Ryoga Ougi yesterday in Australia. So happy that there's an official distributor there now. Will be testing it out later tonight. Previously used the GOSEN Ryoga Shiden with the R4X110, and loved it. Hope the Ougi lives to my expectations =)

13. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    What's the verdict?

14. mso663

mso663 Regular Member

One of the fastest racquet I've ever used and highest quality paint work. I've used the VICTOR Bravesword 10, 11, 12 and LYD, YONEX Nanoray 800 and Nanospeed 9900, and the GOSEN Ougi provides the most power and speed for the same specification. Obviously not as light as the YONEX Arc Saber FB, but it's remarkable. Easier to get used to than the GOSEN Ryoga Shiden, and it has a larger sweet spot. I think the Shiden gives me more control, but the Ougi is so fast. Still trying to get used to it =)

Top racket!

15. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Yeah it's looks amazing. If you can get over the price ($240 bucks here, ouch) then anyone who picks it up will probably buy it. Even swinging it around the shop is sweet.

However, without a swing weight of over 89g I wouldn't be able to get any power out of it, Sadly.

16. Darth vader

Darth vader Regular Member

Sith Lord
    Its so pretty...I will buy it and frame it...:D

17. mso663

mso663 Regular Member

Considering there's only 1000 in the world, it's not too bad. I often see the so called VICTOR and YONEX limited editions for $220 AUD when they make thousands of them. I heard that a shop in Melbourne has the JAP coded version, which is more rare.

You can try putting a thinner string like the R4X Momone with less tension, that can give more power

Ill be keeping my eye out for more racquets from GOSEN Australia Facebook page :)

18. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    You mean the JPNxxxx coded Ougi.

The JPNxxxx Ougi actually has the 4 digit (xxxx) number to indicated the xxxx/1000 Ougi that you possess. To me, that makes it pretty cool.

The international/export Ougi has the RGSW serial number like the rest of the Ryoga series. It does not have any indication which of the 1000 Ougi produced that we have.

Indeed paintwork is very high quality just like the rest of the Ryoga series. I clashed my Ryoga rackets in the past, and slight clashes did not then chip the paint. Only the harder clashes caused a slight chip in the decal sticker, and the chase paint is still intact.

Momone 0.66mm is a good string, but quite slippery. If you want even thinner gauge, try the Zymax 62 or the Gosen R4X 100, or the BG-66UM strings.

19. mso663

mso663 Regular Member

That is correct. I meant that the store had the JPN coded Ougi.

I believe there was only ~700 JPN coded ones, and the remaining amount was distributed overseas (mainly in Asia regions).

I've got the international version myself, but tempted to get the JPN one as well.

Tried the 3 strings. Comparatively the Zymax is a bit rough, and obviously not as durable. The R4X100 and BG66UM is great. Would recommend anything 0.66mm or under for the racquet. The Momone was naturally made for females (although many of my male friends like it as well). A bit softer, so my slippery feeling.

Anyways, I wonder if we could get all the owners into this thread (since there's only 1000 of us) haha =)

20. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

I own both Shiden and Ougi... if you ask me, I would like to compare shiden as Yonex Z-slash and Ougi as a professional player rackets. if you like the feel of NS9900, try Tenbu! lastly... Gosen racket is really a very good racket! my favourite now is shiden! despite the small frame, the drive and smash is powerful!