looking for pc software to manage queing at our club

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bob506, May 27, 2013.

1. MrHoang

MrHoang Regular Member

[MENTION=15627]llpjlau[/MENTION] Yes, that's one of the options. There's also a timer-based system where the club manager can configure the amount of time allowed per "set."
    [MENTION=31680]amleto[/MENTION] Sorry, but I'm not too familiar with the technical details of different VS versions and how the actual project extension files work due to the fact that it's my first project written in WPF (well, C# in general, which I learned just after starting the project). I suppose I introduced myself as a software developer, but I am by no means professional; I have only just graduated high school. I am using a few .NET 4.5 features, but only the delay in the binding comes to mind.
    If VS cannot convert to an earlier version, will I have to manually make changes to the source to add the 2010 version?

2. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

What's the ETA on the project? Would love to test it out this Saturday, even if only a beta version.

3. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

I might undertake something similar. Though do everything in Excel and VBA programming. Will see how I get on. Our club doesn't have many courts (4) but a wide range of player skills. So the aim of the program will try to focus on the scheduling as well as some logic behind who plays with who and how often etc and try and improve overall game experience and make sure at the end of the night everyone gets roughly the same amount of games.

Currently we just work off a whiteboard with magnetic name tags.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Ordinarily, no, the source won't need to be changed, but you'd need to re-create the solution & project files (the .sln, and .csproj files) using an older visual studio (e.g. http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-2010-express).

However, having just read this (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...64f9/targeting-net-45-with-visual-studio-2010), it appears MS won't let you use .net 4.5 with older version of MSVS. ho hum.

5. MrHoang

MrHoang Regular Member

[MENTION=15627]llpjlau[/MENTION] I've kept you waiting for a while. I'll try my best to release a usable version by this Saturday. :)

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Don't mean to rush you or anything but would the program be ready by any chance? I've got a session in ~12 hours time and would be happy to give it a "test drive" if it's ready.

7. MrHoang

MrHoang Regular Member

[MENTION=15627]llpjlau[/MENTION]
    At the moment, it's not functional yet. It might be possible to get it ready within ~12 hours though. Working on it right now. :)

8. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Any progress?

9. MrHoang

MrHoang Regular Member

Yes, although progress is slowed down a bit. My partner dropped out of the project temporarily and I had internet problems last week that led to corrupting the repository and being unable to find out why no one could run the project. x(
    Anyway, if you want, I can go through what is completed and how much more needs to be done if you give me a PM.

10. bob506

bob506 Regular Member

Could you post a description of how your program will work?

I've looked at your project (https://github.com/Cinnabon/BCQueue). As a non-programmer, its not easy from this, to see how your program will operate. A brief description would be helpful for get more people interested. Also what parts work what remains to do.

Giving this information, perhaps a flow chart, will bring useful suggestions from this forum.

Good luck with this.

11. Neffri

Neffri Regular Member

System developer here :D
    Very interesting project. To bad i didnt see it earlier or maybe i could have given some startup advice.
    What db are you using to store the data? Did you ever think of doing a web solution? You could quite easy set up a webserver on the computer used for the bookings. For just a local system, used on the same computer as the server, it might not do much sense. But thinking in the long run using this approach, you could example admin it from another computer on the intranet. The computer behind the cashierdesk. Or even connect to it from a smartphone over the internet. Imo a websolution would give alot of benefits for "nice to have things" in the future.

Always nice to se stuff like this and i know how hard it can be to get the spare time to do a project like this. Keep up the good work. Maybe i can help out somehow if you need it and i get some spare time.

12. amleto

amleto Regular Member

here's an upload of my very alpha version.

http://www.filedropper.com/pegboard

Windows binary.

It's totally manual, so it's just a replacement for pegs really, rather than an automated system.

#72 amleto, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  13. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Actually, you might be better getting the one from here

I hope the link works ok.

14. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Anybody tried it? If so...

Too confusing?
    Not intuitive?
    Bad because...?

15. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

amleto, I've tested it.

It's like you said, a pegboard replacement. Works as it should BUT one annoying thing is that player names cannot be deleted; or maybe I don't know how to remove names? Other than that, it's a decent pegboard replacement. I'll be using it at a club session tonight.

16. Neffri

Neffri Regular Member

Just took it for a quickspin. Two things i noticed was that if you add a player before you add the court the player will end up beneath the court. Also, why does the console window open in the background?

17. amleto

amleto Regular Member

That's interesting. Please could you describe the exact steps? What is shown in the console window?
    edit: I've found a bug where if there is no 'waiting list' then multiple things go wrong. I think this is the cause of what you see? In my testing, adding a waiting list and moving the player item around will get things going again.

It might provide me with useful information for bug reports whilst the app is in development. Some errors (most, at the moment) are not shown to the user, so if something goes wring it might tell you on the console why.

Thanks for your time & input.

#77 amleto, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  18. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Yes, this is something I'm aware of - You can add 'stuff' (players, courts etc), but I haven't provided any way to delete or modify 'stuff'... yet.

Thanks for your input.

19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I added a couple of tips on the wiki, maybe you they will be useful.

https://bitbucket.org/Amleto/pegboardpublic/wiki/Home

#79 amleto, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  20. bob506

bob506 Regular Member

Hi amleto,

I downloaded, then tried to install this on win xp, but got the message "pegboard-20133901-153929.exe is not a valid win 32 application.

I am likely not doing this correctly, any suggestions?

Thanks