Joaquim Fischer's double action serve illegal?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by visor, Oct 30, 2011.

?

Is Joaquim Fischer service illegal?

1. ILLEGAL

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. LEGAL

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I voted legal. I dislike straitjackets and everything they imply. :D It's a game; not a Ford production line.

2. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

If it's for bragging rights, sure it's just a game.
    When prize money and future ranking for prize money is involved, it becomes a job and if you cheat at a job people will get pissed.

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    You're right. However, my point was that it is not purely a mechanical "process" but an organic one, and will always require a more holistic view of the situation. That is why I referred earlier to "range of tolerance" and "discretion." The fact that almost all officials polled chose to interpret the serve in a more open-minded way should tell us that even in professional sport, there is place for common sense and reasonable-ness as opposed to letter-of-law and zero-tolerance. If that were the case, as Gollum correctly pointed out, a lot of players would have to be sent back to school.

4. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

Agreed.

I think as long as he always has that hitch and doesn't deviate from it then it's "ok". The moment he changes it to throw people off then it becomes iffy.

Tough because keeping shuttle below waist is another tricky one to call. I had someone tell me my serve is illegal (a lady I was playing against in mixed) so i said fine, i flicked all the serves from that point on to her and she had no good return after that.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Ha, talk about backfire! :D Strange though, I was just thinking about the same thing: that "above/below the waist" rule, and the confusion it sometimes causes. :( I think a little tolerance should be allowed there as well, specially as we cannot "see" exactly where the last rib ends at the moment of serve! IMO, the racquet-angle-downward is a good one, and maybe they should expand on that "visible" and "measurable" component to set up a better rule for serves.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Now that you fellas have mentioned waist serving faults, I've noticed that in the recent INA and SG super series, there has been much more service faults called re racket not in downward direction, above the waist, and even foot moving during serve(!). I can only imagine that BWF wanted to send a message to the players that they will be stricter in preparation for the upcomg Olympics.

7. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Yes, for Indonesia Open, another umpire and I were chatting while watching. We both agreed there were quite a few missed service calls. Especially on above the waist. Some players serve near chest height but surprisingly weren't called.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

I know which players you're referring to... 2 of them happen to be INA players right? ;)

9. CantSmashThis

Yes, and especially one Malaysian player I saw :p

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Esiest would be a rule just saying the shuttle are not allowed to be hit higher than x cm above the floor when serving.. and then mark that height on the pole or the net for the service judge (or camera) to check that the serve is not to high.

Fair and simple rule. compared to an unfair (short players are penalized, and long players get an unfair advantage) and hard to call service rule..

11. Stratlover

Stratlover Regular Member

That is a great idea. It would take most of the subjectivity out of the serve and make it more fair for everyone.

12. StefanDO

StefanDO Regular Member

PhD student (Neuropsychology)
    I welcome a criterion which doesn't give an advantage to either short or tall players. I'm just not sure if a x cm above the floor criterion is the solution. One may argue that tall players may have a disadvantage because for the maximum height of serve, their racket would point more downwards as compared to shorter players, right? I think this makes handling more difficult for some kinds of serves, e.g. a drive serve.

13. Erik L.

Erik L. Regular Member

professor
    I am not so sure whether I would fault this service. It agree it looks a little unpleasant from where it is shown in the video, but I am not sure that a service could be played from that initial forward movement and I also do not see any real handling problems for the opponents. It is difficult to assess this from a distance. You have to sit in that chair in order to come to a proper decision as to whether this service should be faulted or not. There is a lot more to serving and receiving than the letter of the law.

14. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    hahaha, that's the thing, if it's recreational or even at a local tournament level, why so serious. i have more fun during a long rally then when my opponent misses all his serves because i called them above the waistline.

15. CantSmashThis

Well, for the waist rule, they are planning to take care of that.

For the racket pointing downwards, usually this one is kinda tough for me to call when it gets super close because some players have that very little dip and especially on flick serves they do a very quick motion and it takes a while to actually picture in your mind where the shuttle was contacted on the serve.

16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

may be badminton can adopt the rule similar to table tennis.
    umpire can issue a warning to the server if that getting close to illegal and next time you will be faulted.

17. Henzy

Henzy Regular Member

Quality Coordinator
    I think this is an illegal serve. I would say something about it maybe.....

18. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

If I were the service judge, I would probably call it a fault serve. To me anyway, it certainly looks like a "double-motion" service.

Also, comments like "I didnt even notice it until this stupid thread came along" and "This is now verging on the coveted title of the "Dumbest thread ever"." are probably the worst comments I've seen on BC in a long while. Hit the close or exit button if it's so "dumb". There's no point having a BC forum at all if discussion is shunned.

19. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    As a lines/service judge the double action thing gets a bit of pass if it is consistent and isn't used as a means of deception.

Lin Dan got called a couple times when it was really bad and if i recall, when he threw in the odd flick serve.

The bigger issue I find is the height of serve. I have so many people arguing the "first rib" crap.

Easy fix - the t joint area of the raquest has to be below your waist when the shuttle is contacted.

Where is your waist? Below your belly button. It would be very simply to add a line to the shirt if you tend to like shirts that cover your shorts.

20. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

BWF will be experimenting the fixed height of 1m 10cm (from the court surface) for service delivery in lieu of the below the waist requirement (read 9.1.5.2., http://bit.ly/1jqJJho or on this forum); perhaps this will be a more objective criterion. This will result in drastic change in game tactics, as most players fine tune their strategies to theirs and opponents' biometrics, but that is neither here nor there.

From the way the waist-serve threads are progressing, if BCers thread-posters get to vote, as others have suggested, on fault serves, that would definitely make the matches more interactive and fascinating. However, drawing a line on the shirt and finding the belly button of the player, well, that will be gross violation of many things, all illegal.