most difficult shot to master

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Aug 23, 2007.

?

most difficult shot to master

1. clear

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. lift

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. drop

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. smash

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. straight net

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. crosscourt net

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    i think its the jump smash, but thats not an option, so i vote smash...
    clears are decently easy,
    lifts are really easy,
    i drop for most of my game, thats easy,
    I CANT JUMP SMASH THO. i either never hit it, or it becomes a jump with a slightly downward angled drive,
    smashed are decntly easy tho,
    my drives are great, due to my fast reflex...from playing CS lol

2. MSHSBadmPlayer

MSHSBadmPlayer Regular Member

lifts are easy only if you are taking the initiative to lift :p

3. MSHSBadmPlayer

no offence, but i think instead of SKILL, its should be STUBBORN instead :p
    you'll most likely get tapped, if not an "anyhow push". you'll be dead by then.

4. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

crosscourt net

Overwelmingly ppl vote for the 'crosscourt net' as the most difficult shot to master.:confused:

Personally, I find executing it is not too difficult if the shot is taken early....but is difficult to pull off when taken late, eg 1) element of surprise lost 2) hitting under pressure - shot goes wide of the line.

I find the crosscourt net is a low percentage shot as a good opponent can intercept (mid flight)as the birdie has to travel a greater distance rather than a straight path.

5. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    hmmmmmmmm when i voted for Clear there were less than 5 votes.......now it has shot up lol.

anyway...a good crosscourt net is not really a low % shot in my opinion. in fact a fast, steep one (maybe almost what u guys call sticksmash) can often produce direct winners. But well...if an opponent anticipates well, even if it's hard to tap it, he'd most likely do a tight spinning net shot in that corner, and that's rather undesirable i guess.

6. huynd

huynd Regular Member

The clear is not that easy. It's not just sending the shuttle from rear court to rear court, it's about varying height, rythm and also about keeping consistency. For me, when facing a better opponent, I still can play decent backhand drop, cross court, tight net shots, but my clears break down the first.

7. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

I voted clear as well.

What if the opponent keeps hitting clears to your backhand side? and anticipates to pounce/smash on weak return or drop shots?

I find hitting crosscourt clear (all the way from long service line) from my backhand side to send him back to his backhand long service line (provided he is a right hander) to be difficult. The shuttle have to travel more than 40 ft deep across the whole court and at least 20 to 30ft high!!!!

8. MSHSBadmPlayer

variation of pressing down the shuttles at different angles and different strength will do the trick.

if you do that, your opponent will most probably not dare to move up too fast the net when you do a backhand shot. then, you'll have time to get ready again. but if he really guards his net so tight each time when you do a backhand shot, then a half-court backhand clear is enough to make his tumble :D

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Then don't play it. It's far too ambitious.

Even at the world-class level, players don't often play a full-court cross-court backhand clear. And when they do, it often gets them in trouble.

10. MSHSBadmPlayer

yeap, its probably a skill "for show" only :D

11. DivingBirdie

student

i agree this shot is seldom used...but there's something similar which helps a lot ...it's more like a backhand crosscourt attacking clear. The key is when you already anticipate that your opponent is going to try to pin your backhand with a clear/drive, stick out your backhand early and whip it back into their backhand corner. In this case it's more like a intercepting shot(the good thing is it can still be done with shuttle slightly behind you) , thus less strength is required compared to a high shuttle dropping vertically on your backhand corner.
    so next time anticipate well and try it out...and tell me if it works good:rolleyes:

#111 DivingBirdie, Sep 12, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

In other words, you're describing a cross-court backhand clear played from the midcourt, or the front of the rearcourt. You can do this when your opponent's lift or clear was flat enough to allow early interception.

This is much easier than a full-court clear, and a viable option.

13. DivingBirdie

student
    with good anticipation you can actually leap across faster, and even if the shuttle is slightly behind you...it can still be deflected back with backhand crosscourt if it approaches fast enough:p

14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

the real fun starts when you jump while doing it ;)

I did/had to do it 2-3 times in a row in one rally (the level higher player was always a step ahead :eek:)
    You'll get some fuzzy looks :p

15. huynd

huynd Regular Member

I happen to play it sometime . I can either flick to the other backhand side, or backhand cross court drop. Playing a shot while turning 180 on air, this looks cool :cool:, but infact I am in trouble. This shot never helps me neutralize the situation, because of the slow recovery move that it requires. The forehand side is then hugely vulnerable.

16. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Yes Gollum, I agreed it's too ambitious, therefore I described it in an exaggerated fashion. My point is to highlight the difficulty to master this shot to other BC users. :)

But, yes I hardly see professionals play this type of shot except before the rally point system.
    The rally point system is very attack oriented.
    Right now, a backhand clear is an invitation for a jump smash (supporting your point). Drives are the prefered counter to clears now. (agreed with the subsequent posting)

17. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I just realized how much fun and how easy it is to get rediculously tight and sharp drops using inside and outside slices; I was practising with a partner who was standing at the net and feeding, and he couldn't even smash them down from where he was standing :eek: :D:D. It was so cool when the birds kept sliding down the opposite side of the net :cool::cool:.

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A disadvantage of a high backhand clear is that you forced to have your back facing the net, thus not being able to see the court as well. That and the time it takes to face the net again makes you vulnerable to a jump smash.

19. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Maybe they should allow two-racquet badminton (like in sword fights). :rolleyes:
    With a racquet in each hand, there would be no more backhands. :p

Of course, one would need a high level of ambidexterity :D

20. yoyomonkey

yoyomonkey Regular Member

backhand slice drop and backhand slice cross court drop. I can only do it half of the time.