Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    IOA chief Kalmadi congratulates Saina

New Delhi, Dec 13 (IANS) Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president Suresh Kalmadi Monday congratulated shuttler Saina Nehwal for her sensational win in the Hong Kong Super Series calling her an 'inspiration' for young sportspersons across the country.
    The 20-year-old Indian, who won three back-to-back tournaments in Indian Open and the Indonesian and Singapore Super Series in June besides bagging a gold at the Commonwealth Games in October, capped a successful year with the title win in Hong Kong Sunday for her career's fourth Super Series title.

'I would like to congratulate Saina Nehwal for raising the bar yet again. She has kept the Indian flag fluttering on the badminton circuit. In fact, she is an ambassador not only for badminton but also for Olympic sport,' Kalmadi said.

'She has been among the most consistent performers in Indian sport this year, winning the Indian Open Grand Prix and the gold medal at the Commonwealth Games.

'Saina has emerged as an inspiration to young sportspersons across the country and I am sure that, given her determination, dedication and discipline, she will continue to not only do well for herself and for India but also motivate thousands of young Indians to emulate her drive to conquer new frontiers.'

http://sify.com/news/ioa-chief-kalmadi-congratulates-saina-news-national-kmntEschdje.html

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina Nehwal Wins Hong Kong Open, Says Want To Be Champion Always

"When I saw the trophy, I liked its colour. I really wanted to win it."

India’s Golden Girl Saina Nehwal has done it one more time for India by beating Shixian Wang of China in the Hong Kong Open Series. Although she suffered a setback in the beginning, by losing 15-21, she came back majestically to beat the Chinese 21-16, 21-17 in 71 minutes.

The world no 4 Saina though with the win proved to be one of the best badminton players ,might have to settle with no 3 spot . This is due to the fact that Saina did not take part in five enthralling Super Series tournaments; mainly in France, Denmark, Japan and 2 in China. She was playing the Commonwealth and Asian Games at that time.

Saina says, “It means a lot to beat the Chinese in the final as I had lost to her in the World Championship. I was disappointed after losing in the quarter-finals of the Asian Games that I could beat those two players in one tournament means a lot to me.” Even though she can’t be the at the top of the table, she says, “I won three Super Series titles, one Grand Prix and the Commonwealth Games gold. It has been a big year. I’m happy with my performances.”

By winning this Series, she has shut the mouth of her critics. Even after the Chinese winning the first game, Saina never lost her grip over this match. She came back by winning this famous Open. She says, “It was a tough game. Shixian was in good form. I was nervous at the start. I had to play with the wind. But after the first game loss, I found my rhythm as I controlled the shuttle. the game changed a lot after I took a 11-5 lead in the second.” Saina further says, “I want to be the champion always. I love winning. When I saw the trophy, I liked its colour. I really wanted to win it.”

Hyderabadi Pullela Gopi Chand is her coach and says, ““She played some very good shots at crucial times of the game and kept her nerve. That was important. It was a wonderful final.”

http://www.india-server.com/news/saina-nehwal-wins-hong-kong-open-says-36482.html

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina Nehwal Is The New Face Of Airtel

Proof that SN is definitely among the top sportsperson earners in India. INR 1 Crore = USD $224,000 approximately, by today's conversion rates.

========== ============ ==============

Last Updated: 2010-10-28T10:09:55+05:30

Gold medal winner Saina Nehwal is in real demand as she has become the top choice of big brands. It is believed that ace shuttler’s endorsement value has reached almost Rs. 1 crore per deal.

In addition to it, Saina Nehwal lately has agreed to be the brand ambassador of telecom giant Airtel.

"She is really in demand. A lot of companies want to associate with her. She has already signed up with Airtel and at least four firms operating in areas such as food and infrastructure will come on board very soon," H Manjula, Deccan Chargers Sporting Ventures Media Coordinator said.

Deccan Chargers Sporting Ventures take care of Saina's account. Saina is not new to the endorsement market as she is already the face of Deccan Chronicle newspaper, Adani Wilmar's Fortune edible oil and Herbal life's nutritional product line.

"Corporates are willing to pay that kind of money," Manjula added.

Meanwhile, Saina also agrees that her latest achievements have increased her popularity.

“Yes, after winning the titles, my fee has gone up and I am getting a lot of endorsements now. I am happy that there is demand being created for sports persons other than cricketers," Saina said.

http://www.india-server.com/news/saina-nehwal-is-the-new-face-of-airtel-34912.html

4. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    There seems to be no restriction on SN to sign endorsements or to be brand ambassadress. This should be the case as sports champions deserve the recognition and successful companies want to be associated with global winners.
    However, as recently reported, LCW cannot sign or enter into endorsements without first getting the ok from BAM for fear of 'conflict of interest'. The restriction obviously caps LCW's earning potential. He is the 'king of badminton super series' having won 15 titles to date and successful corporates want the face of an international champion to project them.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Within reason, of course. You can be a brand ambassador or a great endorsement as long as you remain a great sportsperson, or great person in whatever field you choose to excel. It is indeed sad if true, that LCW cannot leverage his achievements more than "allowed" by BAM to improve his income. There may be some reason, and I can think of a good one: Often the player finds that endorsements, shoots, appearances etc take up so much of quality time, it interferes with performance, training and participation. This can be counter-productive. There was for example, a lot of criticism, some justified, of some of the superstar cricket players from India in this regard.

I hope that Saina's managers are selective with signing her on for these lucarative contracts, and maintain the balance that is so required for her to do what she does best: play great badminton! :)

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    National Associations are helping to bring up players' standard for their nations

I am hoping that one day our Badminton players can be independent as professional players.

To me, it is great that National Associations are helping to bring up players' standard for their nations.

But why tie their players down? :(:(:(

National Associations should look at themselves like schools and universities - to train players for their career. After graduation, players should be set free.

This is just my opinion.

7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    if this is true
    then those poor family wont able to afford the 'study fees'
    lol
    player like lcw and tbh will never emerge

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Talented players (trainees), when found, are often offered scholarships

Don't worry for potential top players, limsy. :):):)

Talented players (trainees), when found, are often offered scholarships.

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    how many can get top scholarship like ratchanok.tai tzu ying,taufik or lee yong dae do?
    zhang ning will have failed in this case
    she only getting better and better in her late 20

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Scholarships are usually awarded through a panel of judges

True. Scholarships are usually awarded through a panel of judges. If the judges fail to notice the potential of a player, then that player would miss out on the scholarships. We can only blame the panel of judges. :eek::eek::eek:

We in Australia do help our potential top sportspersons. And many of our them are now earning good income.

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    last post before it get way too off topic
    and the denmark player might find it even harder except for victor axelsen and peter gade
    martin lungaard and jens erickson will also fail to shine in this case

12. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Saina Nehwal: What dedication can do

Published on Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 07:54 | Updated at Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 13:19 | Source : Forbes India

Saina_Nehwal_bppl_190.jpg

Read More at: http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/features/saina-nehwal-what-dedication-can-do_505899.html

Nicely put, simply classy. I like her character :cool:.

13. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    YY sponsor BAM, and with YY $$$, BAM can fund this badminton program, send players to tournaments and the perks (flights, coaches, pay, etc) that come along. BAM players like LCW, TBH/KKK are bound by YY agreement with BAM to get permission before endorsing others. It takes a lot of $$$ investment to train and develop a player like LCW into what he is today.
    So if LCW is allowed to find his own sponsors, YY sponsorship may be in jeopardy and who in future would want to sponsor BAM when after all the early years of investing $$$ into a young talent and when the talent becomes a star, this star player can walk away and choose his/her own sponsor, what if the sponsor the player choose is LN.
    I am sure LN would be interested in sponsoring just one player from MAS and the baddy market that the people in MAS looks up to. Let YY do all the early sponsor/investing, and when the prospect player turns in a mega star, sign that player up, it is cheap cos LN will get it all back and more.
    BAM goal is to find great baddy players to represent MAS and young players to replace the fading stars, and BAM needs $$$ from govt and sponsors to do that. So, LCW cannot have both sides of the cake...he just have to pick one like TH did.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Sponsors can only tie down a player within the period of the sponsorship

What you have said actually happened to Lin Dan, who was first playing under YY sponsorship and then later playing under LN sponsorship.

Sponsors can only tie down a player within the period of the sponsorship; It's not a contract to tie down a player forever.

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Elite players can earn their revenue from different streams.

Sponsorsip: Tied to the team, associations etc, with logos on official kits etc. Active partners in the sport in the country. Top Tier. Official "partners." Players can in addition be contracted for endorsements, active involvement, promotions etc.

Endorsements: Television commercials and other media contracts, but not directly connected to the sport. Can be either one-offs or annual or 2-year or 5-year contracts depending on the perceived benefits etc. Generally allowed by apex association as long as no conflict of interest is perceived with Official patners. Huge earning potential.

Brand Ambassador: Active participation at events, appearances etc, apart from endorsements for TV and radio commercials etc. Generally allowed by apex association as long as no conflict of interest is perceived with Official patners. Also huge earning potential.

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Some replies were somewhat arrogant

Somehow I felt some of SN's replies were somewhat arrogant, like this reply;

Although media comparisons to Sania Mirza are unavoidable, she firmly puts it to rest. “The comparison was there; not anymore. I mean, they can compare if both of us are World No 2. She does really well in doubles but not in singles. I have won four Super Series’ which is the equivalent of Grand Slams. And she hasn’t won a single one. So there is no question of comparison.”

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    She is quite correct in her evaluation. Besides, the media in India have this totally stupid obsession with comparing the careers of the 2 girls; they are like apples and oranges! But I understand your point. :) What I found very disappointing however was this statement...

Just very unfair. There are many young girls from the smaller towns and even villages in India who have in recent years shone in their chosen sport, even becoming international champions. They work, train and push the envelope every bit as hard as Saina does; some even more so. In fact, Saina would do well to consider that she needs to add a few more arrows to her quiver, work really hard on her backhand (how come she has virtually no backhand to speak of, is a mystery to me!! :confused::() and her courtcraft.

She has so far, been displaying a very stable and balanced head on her young shoulders. I just hope she is not getting too cocksure. Pride goes before a fall. Ask WYH.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Hope that Saina Nehwal is not getting too cocksure

Saina Nehwal's father (a member of BadmintonCentral), and perhaps even Saina herself, is probably reading our posts. Hope that it was the press that was misquoting Saina's words.

19. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Actually the entire CHN team switches over to LN sponsorship, not LD choice. And as long as LD is playing under CHN team, then he is tied down to LN, forget YY. I think if the sponsor does not compete with LN in the same products, then LD can endorse provided CHN approves that.

20. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    By the time ZN 'falls', she has earn enough to say 'bye bye', the moment is now to capitalize on her earnings, hit the kettle while it is still hot before she becomes yesterday woman and forgetable. Pro baddy is a business and a full time job...it is money that counts, the hardware is nice to look at, still money talks.
    And next year with the revamped WR system, wait till CHN unleash her mighty CHN women wall and see how ZN performs or any other woman performs. CHN will be aiming to send 3 WS to qualify for OLY12. So ZN might as well, reap all the rupees she can get and bank them after all a baddy career is fleeting at best.
    Even WX is not safe if she keep losing in finals.

#460 OneToughBirdie, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.