Saina Nehwal : साइना नेहवाल

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by scorpion1, Jan 14, 2013.

1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    In the meanwhile, i wanna know whether india need to send sindhu as well to world championships..?? What is the criteria for that?. She is in Rank 16 now. I dont think it will improve further after Malaysian Open. But i do hope she will improve her ranking and move under 10(Only top 10 will be allowed for world championships??) by performing better in upcoming tournaments.. Anybody help in this regard?? . I mean about the criteria for world championships..

2. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

I bet you if you talked to Michael Jordan, Roger Federer, Michael Schumacher, Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus, Lin Dan, Steffi Graf...none of those people will agree with the sentiment of "hard to find the motivation".

There are usually two types of players. One type get complacent when they reach a certain level of achievement (the players who just play to get a paycheck); the other type are champions (the rarer breed). The latter only cares about winning, or more to the point it's probably the fear of being toppled off the top of the pedestal that gets them going. I don't think Saina have the luxury of being complacent considering she hasn't even tasted what being at the top feels like. But she has time on her side, so adding on top of the Commonwealth Gold is still very much possible for her. As a badminton fan (even though I'm of Chinese descent), I'd like to see her pose a serious challenge to LXR and WYH, esp in the big matches (AE, WC, OG, AG)

3. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

True but the mind is wired very differently in everyone. The people you highlighted are the best in their game, you forgot the other side, people who had all the potential but blew it one way or another.

If she does not buck up she can kiss the AE goodbye. I hope for badminton sake she does something drastic.

4. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    I have a different view in this regard, it seems SN is playing safe these days she seems to be injured and want to preserve herself so the casual play style she has adopted.. she definitely isnt giving her all and her movement seems restricted add to it a little of weight she has put on... But she has been a fighter throughout & has seen it all so mind you just this much of fame is definitely not going to take her everything for granted.... moreso when she knows how much more she can achieve in a nation like India. I just wonder when she gets the time to heal and hit the gym to get fit again and raring to go.. During her recent play it looked she isnt there... Still if such a casual play from her also takes her to semi-finals of SSP, why pay fines and not rake up the easy ranking points on offer during an injuy period when other contenders are either forfeiting the matches or staying away...

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Melbourne Commonwealth Games 2006

It was painful to see SN being brought down by the very talented 18-year-old TTY during the just concluded Malaysia Open 2013.

Six years ago, SN got her baptism of fire at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games and she acquitted herself very well beyond her age of around 16 years. She was fearless and quick on her feet. Both players and spectators were pleasantly surprised with such an unpolished 'diamond' from relatively unknown India then.

Of course over the years, SN has improved and learned from experience to become a very high WR#2, on par with most of the Chinese players. She was touted as a hope against the dreaded Great Wall of China and she did not disappoint.

Now we have the ladies' brigade from Thailand together with the delightful and deceptive recent Malaysia Open WS champion from Taipei to join ranks with her. Japan and Korea have also pushed their limits to give the Chinese a run for their money.

But it would seem TTY of Taipei is on the road to becoming a superstar just as bright as SN. TTY is exceptional and seems to have the X-factor seldom found in other players. I hope SN would take it as a challenge to improve further and together with other non-CHN players, prevent a continued domination by China in the women's department.

However, perhaps many here would agree that China will have other ideas with the wiry chief coach LYB still in charge. China will not forgo their leadership position without a fight! ;)

Here are some pics from my album on SN, the Indian mixed team which won the bronze medal and the venue in Melbourne.

Attached Files:

#25 Loh, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Melbourne Commonwealth Games 2006

It was painful to see SN being brought down by the very talented 18-year-old TTY during the just conclueded Malaysia Open 2013.

Six years ago, SN got her baptism of fire at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games and she acquitted herself very well beyond her age of around 16 years. She was fearless and quick on her feet. Both players and spectators were pleasantly surprised with such an unpolished 'diamond' from relatively unknown India then.

Of course over the years, SN has improved and learned from experience to become a very high WR#2, on par with most of the Chinese players. She was touted as a hope against the dreaded Great Wall of China and she did not disappoiint.

Of course now we have the ladies' brigade from Thailand together with the delightful and deceptive recent Malaysia Open WS champion from Taipei to join ranks with her. Japan and Korea have also pushed their limits to give the Chinese a run for their money.

But it would seem TTY of Taipei is on the road to becoming a superstar just as bright as SN. TTY is exceptional and seems to have the X-factor seldom found in other players. I hope SN would take it as a challenge to improve further and together with other non-CHN players, prevent a continued domination by China in the women's department.

However, perhaps many here would agree that China will have other ideas with the wiry chief coach LYB still in charge. China will not forgo their leadership position without a fight! ;)

Here are some pics from my album on SN, the Indian mixed team which won the bronze medal and the venue in Melbourne.

7. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    Waw, LD earnings is higher than Yi Jianlian (a star basketball player)? :)

In those picture Saina is really similiar to my neighbor :)

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    OMG. short hair!

thanks Loh for the pic. :)

[​IMG]

10. dmadheswaran

dmadheswaran Regular Member

i got tickets to see all england quarter finals to finals this year. i was so excited to see saina. i got indian flag and stuff. but i'm worried now that she wont even make it to QF the way she is playing and not to mention the weight she has gained. :crying:
    hope she makeis it. i will be there to cheer her up. he he

11. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Saina, Gopichand to support AP energy conservation mission[/h]
    http://www.thehindubusinessline.com...rticle4397248.ece?ref=wl_industry-and-economy

Indian badminton player Saina Nehwal and coach Pullela Gopichand have agreed to support the Andhra Pradesh Government’s energy conservation mission.
    Enthused by the voluntary support extended by the organisations like Central Institute for Rural Electrification of Rural Electrification Corporation of India, FAPCCI, FICCI, CII and NGOs, the State Energy Conservation mission is striving to make it a mass movement involving all sections of society.

The State is faced with an unprecedented power shortage of about 70 million units per day. This shortage is in spite of AP’s installed capacity of 16,500 MW. However, the utilities are able to generate about 10,000 MW only due to severe shortage of fuel.

The conservation mission is seeking to help conserve energy wherever possible.

12. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

They are going to be spokesperson for energy conservation, very commendable thing to do.
    In the mean time I hope they put more focus in AE preparations, I think the Indian fans don't want to see another QF exit.

13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Shah Rukh Khan first snubs Saina Nehwal then sings for forgiveness[/h]http://www.emirates247.com/entertai...hen-sings-for-forgiveness-2013-02-12-1.494654

EXCERPTS:

[h=3]The charming Khan apologised for not helping the star badminton player[/h]
    Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan launched a new collection of ladies' watches by Tag Heuer, Link Lady.

The launch evening also celebrated the power of women by felicitating four Indian women achievers, who have excelled and contributed tremendously to their respective fields.

Among the four ladies was Olympic Bronze medalist Saina Nehwal who was awarded for excellence in the field of sports.

But the 47 year old, debonair Shah Rukh had added a twist in the tale.

When Saina Nehwal came to the stage Khan remembered how a few years ago when Saina was an upcoming playerand Indian badminton legend Prakash Padukone had requested SRK to sponsor Saina's career.

Shah Rukh had refused Padukone then saying he had already burnt his fingers after buying an Indian Premier League Team, Kolkata Knight Riders.

After few distressing years with KKR, Shah Rukh did not want to associate with any other sports.

But Saina now having won an Olympic medal and holding second position in world badminton ranking; a sheepish Shah Rukh apologised profusely to Saina for not helping her at the start of her career.

He sang a song to cajole her during a function and went down on his knees.

Gracious Saina too expressed her awe for the star and how she always wanted to meet him in person.

The evening started with aerial and ground ballet performances, followed by the unveiling of the watch collection by Khan and TAG Heuer president and CEO, Jean-Christophe Babin.

It is usual to all the politicians and actors for doing such a kind of act when they happen to meet the same person at one point of time in their life,for whom they have had denied to help in the past :rolleyes: . Atleast he has a good habit of apologising in front of audience. I appreciate that character :).

14. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Saina, Gopichand join energy saving mission[/h]http://newindianexpress.com/cities/hyderabad/article1472829.ece

EXCERPTS:

Championing the cause of energy conservation, ace shuttler Saina Nehwal and coach Pullela Gopichand joined the State Energy Conservation Mission (SECM) for public outreach on Wednesday.

The mission, formed in September last year, has set a target to conserve 10,000 to 15,000 million units (MU) per year across domestic, agricultural, industrial sectors and government bodies.

“The grave power situation facing us as well as the shortage of non-renewable sources of energy used to generate power can be improved if we all decide to conserve energy.As a sportsperson, I do not know much about it but I am learning. I would like to appeal to the public to use natural light as far as possible, use solar water heaters and electrical appliances rated above three stars to save energy beginning today,” said Saina, who is currently second in the world rankings for women’s singles badminton.

Exhorting the importance of small steps in conserving energy, water resources and natural fuel, badminton coach Pullela Gopichand promised to participate in active public outreach initiatives to drive home the message. “Simple initiatives, such as switching off the lights when you leave a room, using air-conditioning at a temperature above 25 degrees and use of solar power, can help conserve energy this summer , ” said Gopichand at the media briefing.

Special secretary of energy Munindra commended the celebrities to have volunteered for the cause and asked others to join the mission as part of their social responsibility.

Excellent initiatives taken by these two pals . Saina and Gopi are doing an excellent job being a front runner to various government led public awareness programmes :). That's why , she stood out from the rest of the players :).

15. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Saina Nehwal has England on her mind[/h]
    http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_saina-nehwal-has-england-on-her-mind_1804510

EXCERPTS:

World No 2 Saina Nehwal has been playing with a troubled knee for the most part of last year, including the London Olympic Games.

Though her last triumph came in the Denmark Open in last October, the Olympic women’s singles bronze medallist has had a decent run in the Super Series and the Super Series Premier tournaments. This year, she lost in the quarterfinal of the Korea Open and in the semifinal of the Malaysia Open.

Next week, she will enter her third competition of the year, the prestigious All England Championships in Birmingham, where she is seeded second in women’s singles. The 22-year-old will meet Thailand’s Sapsiree Taerattanachai in the first round of the tournament that will be played between March 5 and 10.

Since her loss to Chinese Taipei’s Tsu Ying Tai in the Malaysia Open semifinals, Saina has had a month- and-a-half to treat her knee and at the same time train for the All England. “The knee is okay now and I am feeling a remarkable improvement. I am looking forward to seeing how it responds in the tournaments ahead,” Saina told DNA.

“The break from competition between Malaysia Open and next week’s All England is a pretty long time and has given me the recovery time required for such a major tournament. Everybody aspires to be an All England champion and I wish to do better in this tournament.”

In the 2012 All England tourney, Saina was seeded fourth. She exited in the quarterfinal, losing to eventual champion, seventh-seeded Li Xuerui of China. Current World No 1 Xuerui, who is also the Olympic gold medallist, is the top seed in this edition.

Entering the tournament seeded second is a new experience for the Hyderabadi shuttler. And Saina is excited about this new status. “It gives me a lot of pleasure that I am playing as No 2 in this prestigious tournament. My practice has been good and I am looking forward to putting up a better show than last year.”

Preparation for the Championships has been in full swing under the watchful eyes of chief national coach P Gopichand. “The training has been good. Gopi sir has been giving very useful tips and I am also getting good practice with other fellow badminton players.”

Saina should have an easy first two rounds until she bumps into a seeded player in the quarterfinals. Germany’s Juliane Schenk, China’s Wang Shixian and Thailand’s Ratchanok Intanon are the other seeded players in Saina’s half at the All England.

Saina has an all-win record against Taerattanachai, world No 20, in their four previous meetings. Her most recent win against the Thai came in the first round of the Korean Open last month.

Happy with the way she started the year, Saina said, “It has been a good beginning for me in 2013, though I was a bit unlucky to lose in the semifinal of the Malaysia Open. I ought to have won it.”

I wanna see her new avatar in ALL ENGLAND. I really hope that she would have concentrated on her fitness levels more.

All the very best for her ALL ENGLAND Tournament.:)

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    The 2013 edition of the prestigious All England begins tomorrow for Saina. Is she ready? Has her heel.... healed? :D Is she lighter than before? Has she moved on from that toy NR700-RP?

All these are questions to which partial answers will be available tomorrow. But from the draw, here is what we know. Saina has met Sapsiree 4 times before, and won all 4 encounters, but the last one at the KO this year went the distance, and oh so close!

If she plays to her ranking however, she has a fairly straight run to the finals. For Saina, the main issues will be to (a) maintain fitness, (b) remain calm, (c) cut out the cross-court crap, (d) be aware of the drift, (e) maintain fitness, (f) look out for Juliane, (g) look out for Ratchanok, (h) look out for Sindhu, (i) maintain fitness, (j) don't smash when desperate (k) watch out for Minatsu Mitani, (l) watch out for Wang Shixian, (m) check the drift everyday, (n) practise netplay during free time, (o) maintain fitness, (p) watch out for Jiang Yanjiao, (q) watch out for Tai Tzu Ying, (r) put those chocolates away (s) play straight lines, (t) watch out for Wang Yihan, (u) maintain fitness, (v) practise her netplay, (w) practise the body smash, (x) watch out for Li Xuerui.

If she gets past (x) she can have her chocolate, and eat it too! :D

17. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    Rofl...Wow! saina must look into it...

18. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    My goodness... You are having all the qualities to become Sensor board chief.. What to do??? . Anyhow, only 9 options are there.. Li Xuerui is out of AE already ..;). I am eagerly waiting to see her new avatar.. Lets see, how much she have concentrated on BODY MASS INDEX..;)

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Excellent display by Saina in the quarterfinals:) . Her court movement and retrieving ability really amazed me. Infact, her super special spirit to carry herself in any tournament is stupendous to watch. I was delighted with the way she played yesterday. Really marvellous play :).