Koo Kean Keat & Tan Boon Heong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Oldhand, Mar 5, 2008.

1. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

They hv certainly improved from wat i saw in TC qualifying rounds.
    I didnt see any "me and u" but more of a "we" in yesterday's game, if u know wat i mean...

2. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

As much as I think they will be devastating in the Olympics, they were pussyfooting in the 2nd set. That contributed to their loss. They lost the aggression in that 2nd set and Rexy should have given them a stern warning (maybe he had but it did not work).

KKK-TBH need to understand it takes two strong games to win a match. Playing strong in the 1st and then taking the eyes of the other only ensure a chance for your opposition.

But having said the above, gold is imminent. :)

3. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Agreed. The Koreans slowing gained back their confidence in the 2nd when KKK/TBH slowed down their pace. Should hv won if they continue to play like in 1st set.

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ya...i got it...

5. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I understand, they were smooth sailing then as new pair. By now their opponents know their game inside out, can confuse them, etc.

Team work - one of my points is : you would have seen in MO 2007, SO 2007, or even Denmark 2007 - KKK used to give TBH a fierce look whenever TBH made a mistake but KKK was quick to apologise if KKK himself made an error. THat's what I meant critical of TBH on court, it effected TBH esp during Surdirman Cup 2007.
    IN AG 2006, their combination werent that smooth either, going after the same shot, but cos they were new pair, caught everyone by surprise.

Now, KKK dont give fierce look to TBH anymore but encourage TBH, he also did that in XD with Goh LY - like "it's ok partner, we're in this together.".
    TBH has excellent skills but lack self confidence, if yesterday, they played like 1st set, could have won the match.

That's what I meant.
    But definetely they played the best yesterday for the year 2008 so far :D

#385 eaglehelang, Apr 20, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  6. eaglehelang

Rexy & KKK said the same thing too.

Media reports :

NST

20 APr

Top pair lose their fangs

By : K.M. Boopathy Photographs: Khalid Redza

[​IMG]
    Koo Kien Keat (right) and Tan Boon Heong look dejected after losing their semi-final match 16-21, 21-16, 21- 18 to Jae Sung Jung and Yong Dae Lee in the Asian Championships yesterday.

NOT only do Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong have to accept that they are no longer a feared pair but also the fact that South Korea's Jung Jae Sung-Lee Yong Dae are the favourites for the men's doubles gold in the Beijing Olympics.
    Kien Keat-Boon Heong still have a chance but victory against the Koreans, or any other pair in Beijing, will only come if the Malaysians can maintain their consistency.

They were at their very best in the first game yesterday but couldn't maintain their aggression in the second and the Koreans took complete control to win 16-21, 21-16, 21-18 in 65 minutes.

Still, there were some positives as Kien Keat-Boon Heong fought till the end and seemed to have also patched up after some differences had threatened to end their partnership earlier.

"We started well but made a tactical error in the second game by slowing down the pace. This gave the Koreans confidence and they were also steadier in defence and attack," said Kien Keat.
    "We need to focus on improving our defence and I believe there is hope for us yet as we are undergoing individual programmes to improve our performance.

"My main aim was to regain our combination and understanding and we are slowly getting to where we used to be."

Boon Heong said he had been looking forward to beating Jae Sung-Yong Dae, who took the Malaysians All England and Swiss Open crowns this year, but fell short due to a lapse in concentration.

"I really wanted to win this match but we have to admit that the Koreans are really playing well and we didn't maintain our performance throughout the match," said Boon Heong.

"However, it is our best performance this year and I am optimistic this is the start of better things to come."

National doubles coach Rexy Mainaky said Kien Keat-Boon Heong have improved their combination but urged the pair to think positively in order to get better results.

"Overall, it was a good performance as their combination has improved but they must also think positively in a tight match like this," said Rexy.

"Boon Heong thinks negatively about himself when he should be looking at the positives.

"Their new programme will help them overcome their weaknesses and their defence is one area they have to work on."

While there is still time for them to get their act together for the Olympics, Rexy said improvements shown in Johor Baru augurs well for next month's Thomas Cup campaign as Kien Keat-Boon Heong are easily the strongest second doubles in any team.

Jae Sung-Yong Dae will meet Indonesian scratch pair Candra Wijaya-Nova Widianto in the final today.

Candra-Nova defeated Koreans Lee Jae Jin-Hwang Ji Man 21-15, 19-21, 21-17 yesterday.

#386 eaglehelang, Apr 20, 2008
  7. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Sunday April 20, 2008

No cheer for home fans after Koo-Tan exit

MALAYSIA will not have a men’s doubles finalist for the first time in three years in the Asian Badminton Championships after Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong crashed out in the semi-finals at the Bandaraya Stadium yesterday.
    Yesterday, Kien Keat-Boon Heong failed to stop South Koreans Lee Yong-dae-Jung Jae-sung, going down 21-16, 16-21, 18-21, in 65 minutes.

But the Malaysians could not be faulted for not trying to pull the rug from under the All-England and Swiss Open champions.
    [​IMG] Comeback kids: Lee Yong-dae (left) and Jung Jae-sung of South Korea celebrate after beating Malaysians Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong 16-21, 21-16, 21-18 in the men’s doubles semi-final yesterday.

After a fiery opening game victory, the Malaysians had several chances to kill off the Koreans in the next game. But they blew it with poor shots.

After a poor start in the decider, the Malaysians came alive towards the tail end of the match but their revival proved to be a case of too little too late.
    The Koreans will now meet Indonesian scratch pair Candra Wijaya-Nova Widianto for the title.

The Indonesians prevented an all-Korean final when they put up a solid show to beat Lee Jae-jin-Hwang Ji-man 21-15, 19-21, 21-17 in another energy-sapping semi-final.

Boon Heong was clearly disgusted by the defeat to Yong-dae-Jae-sung, hitting his racquet on the court until it broke when the Koreans secured the winning point.

“It was so disappointing especially after Koo and I got off to a great start. We wanted so much to beat this Korean pair,” said Boon Heong, who was the runner-up in the last two editions.

“After we lost the second game, I was not confident enough to play my own game. I made the mistake of going for smashes to win points when I had an easier option. I must learn to think positively – no matter what situation we are in.
    “But I am pleased with the way Koo and I have played in the ABC. Our combination has improved a lot.”

Although Koo was also happy with their performances, he rued the missed chance of making his first final with Boon Heong this year.

“It was certainly one of our best performances this year. But the Koreans were simply better,” he said.

National doubles coach Rexy Mainaky too could afford to smile despite the duo’s defeat.

“I think it is safe to say that the 'original’ Koo-Tan are finally back in action. This is a positive for me as they remind me of when they first started playing as a pair,” said Rexy.

8. eaglehelang

Imminent?? Pussy footing but gold will be imminent my friend? Very +ve thinking

9. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

The indian reporter from NST was a little too critical.

10. eaglehelang

11. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Well, if they don't pussyfoot in the Olympics, wouldn't it be imminent ?

12. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Seems that ppl already ''forgive'' KKK/TBH already. Coz the'r result in ABC - SEMI FINALIST consider very good.....

Then ppl start dreaming of OG 08 gold medal. Somemore still said they still the best bet team to grab medals in beijing.

C'MON LAH. Look at which of the pair they beat in abc? what level?

If Fairuz/Zakry is the one as to measure the ability of KKK/TBH then it is a joke.

PPL said they improve so much recently. BUT dont forget, others pair will also know how to improve themselves, maintained their consistency oso.

We shall wait for the official ticket issued by REXY to KKK/TBH maybe in these two days.

MALAYSIA BOLEH!

13. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    CORRECT! CORECT! CORRECT!:D

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    They are certainly played and communicate better. I would say that KKK had matured. But m sure he still have alot to learn as well.

15. eaglehelang

Watch the game. Watch the other pairs or read what those at stadium reported. Still not enuf, read what the non Msians say (those who support their own MD to win)
    Lee/Jung also beat Kido/Setiawan in Swiss Open, uncles in AE, and Lee/Jung from what I observe played better in ABC than AE. If they've met Fu/Cai, could have beaten Fu/Cai too.
    Then, Lee/Jung lost to China's 2nd MD, Xie/Guo in India Open. The MD title will be the most open among the 5 disciplines.;) Favourities can rise & fall, Msia MD will be the underdogs.

It was not measuring from the match with Zakry/Fairuz, I said bf, Rexy looks more than winning or losing.
    I'm sure you've read what Rexy said in the media today in the above posts, then you'll know what the answer will be.

Of course, not saying KKK/TBH will win OG gold, they still have much improvement to work on.

#395 eaglehelang, Apr 20, 2008
  16. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

So serious? Is there anything to "forgive" abt?
    We see improvement in the attitude, then of course more encouragement will be given. If they can improve their performance everytime, i dun see why all the bashing is needed. :cool:

17. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

KKK played in XD event which might help him to properly warm up. Now maybe TBH should also play in XD events .... hmmm

18. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    ABC Tournament they reached semi-final. NEXT IMPROVEMENT will be OG FINAL. Then MAS already secured at least 1 silver medal.:D

MALAYSIA BOLEH!

19. eaglehelang

Kah kah, very funny. Before that, must improve in TC FInals - since by ranking most prob KKK/TBH wil be 2nd MD, beating Korea 2nd pair Lee/Hwang in straight sets. Then finals of Spore or Indonesia SS :D. OG, maybe a bit of luck, China 2nd MD will meet Lee/Jung 1st & dispose of them like they did in India Open, he he he.

20. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    MALAYSIA BOLEH SPIRIT, CANNOT LAUGH.:D

If they fail, REXY and BAM will warn them again like it used to be. Then they got chances n chances forever n ever....endless...infinity.....