Victor fans club

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Yoppy, May 2, 2011.

1. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Lol, I meant if the difference was only 2-3g (the difference between the rackets discussed above). Obviously if the difference is greater than it would affect things. Much harder to swing around something heavy than light. Unless of course the 90g racket was head light and the 85g racket was ultra head heavy. Willing to bet that the 85g racket would feel heavier to use.

2. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Yes, for example, sometimes there's only a difference of 1g between a 3U and 4U.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Jump, Maklike, Naim

There is one way how 2 rackets with same bp and wt can swing differently, as we stated above, from different mass distribution. But how?

Well, here's how. If one racket were heavier in the middle (ie the shaft) while the other was heavier at both ends (ie head and handle), but both weighing the same with the same bp, then it's obvious that the latter one will swing head heavier.

4. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Sounds about right :)

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, the latter will have a greater polar moment of inertia due to it's weight being distributed more towards the ends, and as such is harder to rotate.

6. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Man, this thread should be called the 'Ego fans club' thread!

Naim, what you need is......a.........FrankenMeteor!

2 packets of Victor lead weights, go crazy. :)

#246 Maklike Tier, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
  7. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Actually, might try it! Lol. Was waiting on your review of the FrankenSword first. Want to wait and see if it affects speed, aerodynamics etc.

8. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    ok I get it
    thanks to Maklike and Visor for the explanation
    although I've thought of the answer earlier but I kinda doubt myself
    but confirmation from you guys make sure that it's really about mass distribution after all

9. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

But how can 2 racket with identical weight have the same BP if one is heavier toward the top on the head and the other on the lower part of the head?? That can't be the case. The 1st racket will have a higher BP.

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

The critical mass will also affect BP directly

11. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    this very thought here got me doubting myself earlier ...
    now I'm beginning to feel confuse again ...

12. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    I think it's a bit incorrect to think that the weight distribution in a racket is an easy thing to comprehend. We really don't have any idea what's going on under the surface - especially in the handle.

The other thing to consider when talking about 'feel', is that you hold the rackets handle, so what you're feeling doesn't really involve any of the weight of the handle. It's there and it does make a minute difference, but it would be statistically irrelevent I reckon.

Speaking of weird stuff; can someone tell me how the MX80 can be literally the stiffest racket I've held (aside from the Ti550 VS) and yet it plays without any of the negatives for an intermediate like me? I'm dumbfounded. I'm supposed to hate stiff rackets.

13. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I asked myself the same thing. I think because of the aerodynamics of the frame and the woven graphite, you get that speed and stability you don't always find in other rackets, which sort of compensates for the stiffness. A flexible shaft adds a sort of trampoline like flick to swings, but this can be a burden if you're swinging very fast, as it can affect shot angles once the flex corrects itself (straightens). The MX80 is such a fast racket, that you're nearly always swinging at optimum speed, so imo a stiffer shaft helps maintain control and precision.

Also, one other thing, if you check the string bed, you'll notice that because of the 80 grommet system, it has a larger sweet spot than other rackets. The space at the top and bottom of the strings where there is no string crossing has been reduced.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

It's not that hard to understand polar moment of inertia.

ooOOoo

OooooO

If you consider these two rods above, they both weigh the same with the same bp (ie centre of gravity). But the first one has a lower polar moment of inertia while the second has a higher one. The first will be easier to rotate around the z axis, while the second will be harder as the mass distribution at the ends will resist rotation.

If you like driving cars, you'll understand this concept when comparing mid engine cars vs front engine cars.

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

OK, so in order to keep the BP constant, the weight is shifted both ways; one to the top and the other to the handle. That makes sense. Does this means that the wood played important part? I always thought they relatively weight the same for the same size.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

^^
    Many people believe the handle mass is irrelevant to the swing, but IMO, it's still important as it is part of the swing because the hand is not static but it is moving thru the stroke during the swing.

Otherwise, why would the manufacturers use lead weights in the handle core to "balance" their rackets in the final phases of production.

I've found that even grips of weights differing by 1-2g can affect the swing feel of a racket.

17. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Oh yes I agree with you, especially that grip weight and the handle mass can effect the swing feel.

I just dont know how the mass can distributed from oo00oo to 0oooo0, without changing the mass on the handle or the right hand side of the BP. In order to keep the BP constant the weight must be distributed to both direction, therefore the question is whether it can be done by just shifting the weight to the bottom end of the shaft or does it have to involve the wood handle or both?? Can you explain more about the lead weight in the handle??

18. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    We need to start talking in degrees here though. The distribution of the weight in the head and shaft makes an infinitely bigger difference than 1-2g of overgrip or handle weight.

"Otherwise, why would the manufacturers use lead weights in the handle core to "balance" their rackets in the final phases of production."

Because you cannot adjust the BP of a racket's head once it comes out of the mould. If there is a variance outside of the manufacturing tolerance, you need to adjust for that somehow and you can't do that to anything but the handle.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, surprise surprise, if you remove the butt cap, you'll often find lead tape or weight glued inside the handle core. Obviously the wt in the handle is important, otherwise the manufacturers won't bother with this step at all.

Or do you think that manufacturers are "cheating" us by adjusting the balance in this manner if you think the handle wt is not important at all, Maklike?

20. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Last 2 posts above makes perfect sense. Thanks for the insight guys