Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Indeed a sad day for malaysia. The changes I'm looking forward to is not happening. Sad sad sad... Looks like bam has taken 2 steps back

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

What a joke...I guess LCW might have played some role in this fiasco.

3. SibugiChai

YAB
    No doubt datuklee is involve. He must had called the woman sitting at his side during his wedding...

4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Do you think the coach' responsability is to sit in the court' corner during the matches and utter two or three sentenes at mid-games interval? This is nothing, of course LCW can beat NTM without such help.
    LCW' style evolved since 2009, being much more agressive then what it was. I beleive the coaching was partly responsible for that.
    Beside training, coaches also have a strong responsability in motivating the players and giving them self-beleive. On this basis you can criticize or honour LCW's coaches.
    i am not familiar with Malaysian badminton, but in all the comments i read here, I can understand the difficulties. You guys only talk politics. i see very few comments regarding the concrete badminton issues. It probably reflect the way BAM is working inside.

5. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Dont blame LCW - the buck stops at Mahaleel for being spineless - or maybe
    he has managed to coax PJB over as suggested!
    Also TAM screwed himself for lacking management skills - typical of computer
    geeks.

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

KUALA LUMPUR: Tan Aik Mong has quit as the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) Talent Management Group (TMG) director after just 18 days in the job.

The former international said on Tuesday that the job, which he had carried out voluntarily, had become untenable following the BAM’s decision to revert all his changes to their original structure.

“I was called by BAM president Tengku Tan Sri Mahaleel Tengku Ariff to assist him in implementing changes and plans to revive Malaysia’s badminton. As all these changes and plans have now been reverted to the original structure, my involvement is no longer necessary,” said Aik Mong on Tuesday.

The 63-year-old started his job earnestly on Sept 7. The whole of BAM was behind him. And he was given full mandate to hire and fire.

But there were rumblings on the ground over the changes and former computer analyst Aik Mong’s approach did not go down well with some of the coaches. And his decision to break the national team into three groups – Teams A, B and C – also caused uneasiness and tension among the coaches and players.

He had also promoted and demoted some of the coaches and the appointments of Razif Sidek, Tan Kim Her and Koay Kar Lin as his assistants were also questioned. His plans for the national ranking tournament, which required the doubles players to have a singles ranking and vice versa, was also not well received.

Singles coach Rashid Sidek was the first to react. He quit on Thursday, saying the coaches were treated like second-class citizens and he did not enjoy the working environment any more.

On Monday, Tengku Mahaleel, in an effort to defuse the situation, had a six-hour meeting with all the national coaches and decided to do away with Aik Mong’s plan of forming the three teams. He also reinstated all the coaches in their original positions and formed only one national team.

Aik Mong, however, refused to delve further into his reason for quitting.

When pressed for more comments, Aik Mong said: “Tengku Mahaleel knows about my quit decision. That is all that I can say for now.”

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2013/09/24/Aik-Mong-quits-as-TMG-director.aspx

7. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei decides to help a coach he is buddy-buddy with and close to rather than save Malaysia badminton. What a disgrace! I lost all respect for him.

Because of people who buckle under the pressure of others, Malaysia badminton will sink even lower and after LCW retires we probably won't win a single Super Series title for years until another player can pull off another Liew Daren in the absence of top players.

8. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Tengku's project win win sounds creepily sir to the infamous "you help me i help you"

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

More dramas unfold.. this time TAM call it quits.. With all these hassles, the whole BAM is going haywire. IMO, MALAYSIA badminton cannot further improve if they still sticks to the current management style and it looked like this sport are more towards politics.. This is total rubbish and nonsense. Feel sad for this sport in Malaysia.

#1669 george@chongwei, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  10. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

We need LI YONG BO! :D :p

11. SibugiChai

YAB
    i dont think tengku nor tam are willing to be c4-ed... after all there is a powerful woman sapporking datuklee

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Imo you hit the nail squarely on the head.

Players and coaches are still human, and have feelings and emotions and pride. He may have the ultimate authority and best of intentions and plans (who knows, it may have worked), but he can't go around within 2 wks of his new job making changes as easily as he thinks like swapping a hard drive or upgrading a router. ;)

Rexy must be so glad he left.

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well done
    so as well let nadzmi do the president again!
    hehe
    we will going downhill again(just like the economy),hehe.
    since 2010 where we lost to japan and thailand
    to 2013 we lost to german and chinese taipei.
    no worry,even uganda can beat malaysia in the very near future.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  15. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    well... Li Mao out. Misbun out. Rexy out. Former promising juniors out. Malaysia badminton as a whole out.

the only thing continues to be in appears to be Rashid

16. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer

You don't get the subtle message in my post.

17. terranova

terranova Regular Member

Hahahaha
    This story is familiar and applies to many govt departments, ministries, sports associations in Malaysia Bolehland

Agree. By bringing it up he is just making himself look bad and throwing spotlight on his band of apple polishing incompetent administrators who did not say anything when all the players/coaches were playing in IBL

Another U-turn by BAM. First they threaten all sorts of thing like warning letter. Then now they withdraw. They should not have threaten warning letter in first place. Last thing they want to be is become like FAM trying to be dictatorial and dictate what people can say:)

If he had really performed and produced top world class player then he has nothing to fear about another manager questioning his coaching abilities. Obviously he has little self confidence of his coaching abilities and afraid that he will be exposed for incompetence by checks and assessment by TAM and Razif, he quickly run first before it is too late. He is just an opportunist capitalising on Misbun and later TSB hard work in grooming LCW into world class player. He took over at right time when Misbun quit and he just went along for easy RM10K to RM50K salary per month. He did not have to do much hard work and can afford to yawn cos TSB do all the coaching stuff on LCW. He should have been fired long time ago. Good riddance to bad rubbish :D

18. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    To call it quits in 18 days dealing with this circus,TAM must be a good person that an Angel is looking out for him and providing him with an early exit for such a thankless job, that is the way I see it. Happy retiring or back to the real world, take a step back and see BAM falling apart, and sadly, it will fall apart.
    Change is needed to overhaul BAM, what you posted I am in complete agreement, sad that Tengku capitulated to politics, a very powerful arm over Tengku's shoulder.
    My sympathy to the 2 very promising MS and 1 MD juniors, another talents prolly end up in the 'Recyle Bin' just like the rest of the casualties.
    I have read Eagelhelang previous post with comments from Malaysians blasting TAM/Tengku for their proposed changes. I have 1 word for them; 13 years, well over RM100M invested at BAM and plenty of promising juniors came and gone, all MAS has is a 31 year old spoiled player and soon to be over-the-hill, and a team (forget about the women side) that is at best a Tier 2 level. Don't they get it?
    Once your WR1 is done and richly retired, despite Tengku saying to have a team to win honors in Myanmar SEA games and 4 majors, I think your team will be lucky to even qualify for TC.
    A Form 3 failure, progressed to WR1 baddy player, received a Datukship, just because you are a Datuk does not qualify you for job that you are way over your head, and being in BAM for 10+ years and not able to see the decay in the system tells me either you are blind or could not care less except for your self interest.
    CHN, KOR, JAP, THAI and INA are heading in the right directions, despite less funding per population than Malaysia, their success is their head coach is empowered to run the system, not the system running the head coach.

19. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    First we have a new President (good sign), then an ex national player became the Director knowing he would have the support from organization (cool....), after that Rashid quit quoting his services not appreciated (thinking you guys suck). New President then stepped in to restore original plan (players and coaches, be stay relaxed) , TAM turns to tenders his resignation (what the heck.....). Rashid now reconsiders joining BAM (some twist and turn).

This is the most exciting drama of any Badminton organization in the world, even better than 2013 Emmy award winners. :D

Maybe HBO should start producing a show based on BAM history and power play.

20. terranova

terranova Regular Member

As expected, many U-Turns.
    U -Turn on warning letter to LCW
    U -Turn on coaching structure now back to status quo
    Next U-Turn is probably jaguh kampung coming back after TAM resigned earlier and there was speculation that jaguh kampung may be returning

Don't be mistaken. TAM is not the coach or the talent scout. He is the planner/organizational fixer/manager. His job is not to hands on groom and do coaching. His role is to put in place the systems, benchmarks, best practices that will facilitate the production of world class players. The skill sets to do his job is quite different from the skill sets of a top coach. :)