Peter Gade loses his match at 2:30 AM, thanks All England organizers!

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2012' started by galaxyduo, Mar 9, 2012.

1. arowana

arowana Regular Member

-
    Agree with galaxyduo here:

The point is, the match shouldn't have been decided by who was more awake and who was more sleepy at 2:30 AM in the morning!

Every small amateur tournament organizers would have done better by postponing matches to the next day after midnight, but 2:00 or even 3:00?? Are you kidding me?? Strange to see this happen in England at this big stage, though.

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

from thestar.

[h=1]New proposal to further shorten Badminton[/h]

THE 21-point rally game in badminton was introduced in 2006 to keep matches short and exciting. Six years later, there is another proposal to further shorten the game after the opening day of the All-England finished four hours late on Wednesday.
    Badminton England’s chief executive Adrian Christy said that introduction of tie-breaks like in tennis was an option to avoid late finishes.
    Several players, including Peter-Gade Christensen of Denmark and Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia, took a dig at the organisers for their lack of foresight — having packed 80 matches on four courts and expecting to finish on time.
    It all backfired when clusters of rubber games saw the opening day’s play run for 17 hours.
    Christensen, the 1999 champion who has been competing for 17 years, had to play in an almost empty stadium and lost to Rajiv Ouspeh at 2.25am in his final All-England outing.
    “It’s a shame that Peter’s last All-England had to end this way. He was scheduled to play at 8pm — the peak time — but his fans didn’t get to see the quality show,” said Christy.
    “But the delay is testament to the quality of the competition.
    “We have taken the Super Series to a different level but we need to find a solution so that the matches will not end at 3am.
    “We could have either started a day earlier or made it five instead of four courts. We could also introduce tie-breaks to shorten the length of a match.”
    Christy said he would work with the Badminton World Federation (BWF) to find a solution so that the same problem would not be repeated in future.

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

from thestar.

[h=1]New proposal to further shorten Badminton[/h]

THE 21-point rally game in badminton was introduced in 2006 to keep matches short and exciting. Six years later, there is another proposal to further shorten the game after the opening day of the All-England finished four hours late on Wednesday.
    Badminton England’s chief executive Adrian Christy said that introduction of tie-breaks like in tennis was an option to avoid late finishes.
    Several players, including Peter-Gade Christensen of Denmark and Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia, took a dig at the organisers for their lack of foresight — having packed 80 matches on four courts and expecting to finish on time.
    It all backfired when clusters of rubber games saw the opening day’s play run for 17 hours.
    Christensen, the 1999 champion who has been competing for 17 years, had to play in an almost empty stadium and lost to Rajiv Ouspeh at 2.25am in his final All-England outing.
    “It’s a shame that Peter’s last All-England had to end this way. He was scheduled to play at 8pm — the peak time — but his fans didn’t get to see the quality show,” said Christy.
    “But the delay is testament to the quality of the competition.
    “We have taken the Super Series to a different level but we need to find a solution so that the matches will not end at 3am.
    “We could have either started a day earlier or made it five instead of four courts. We could also introduce tie-breaks to shorten the length of a match.”
    Christy said he would work with the Badminton World Federation (BWF) to find a solution so that the same problem would not be repeated in future.

4. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Tie breaks? This BE CEO is as dense as BAM s! Tennis requires tiebreaks because their scoring allows players to reverse their fortune and the match can go on forever. Badminton scoring is one way, ie, forward only. With tiebreaks, intense matches will last 45 min ( is that satisfying enough for fans?) and slow starters will lose out. This is one sport where officials administrative convenience takes precedence over player and fan interests and match quality. Don t they have someone better than Adrian Christy for BE?

5. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Disagree to shorten badminton game....21 is more interesting....BWF should keep it as it is......

6. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Tie breaks are dumb! Why would you want to shorten the matches?

The solution is to add one more day to the tournament or run 5 courts. Are these fools really organizing for the Olympics?

Fire these fools before they ruin the Olympics!

7. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The solution is simple. Start the Qualifying on Monday and the Main Draw on Tuesday night. That will allow matches to be spread out from Wed, when the backlog of matches is expected to be the most!

8. sen

sen Regular Member

If you eat too close before the game, chances are you will be more sluggish. If you are playing in the competitive world class field, that would really affect the outcome.

Because you don't know how long the matches before you play will end, it is hard to time when you are supposed to eat. So if you time to eat about 2 hours before you are supposed to play and then your schedule is 3 hours late, you might be already lacking some energy

9. Loafers

Loafers Regular Member

Loafer
    Is the op implying peter gade and taufik lost and almost lost respectively because of the schedule? I thought their opponents had to wait too so it's not like it was completely unfair...?

But yeah playing that late is pretty unreasonable.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's nice to see a high profile attached to the late finish.

It really is unacceptable to start (and finish so late). I think we must have the only international event that does this on a frequent basis.

Before the new scoring system, we did have an extra day of play. Obviously, this has been reduced - BWF anticipated shorter matches with the new scoring system and changes in the draw. Now that all are used to the scoring system, matches have stretched out in length in again.

Logically, we need the tournament to start on Monday's again. That's good for badminton fans who have an extra day to attend the tournament, and deserve to see players play at their best. The players deserve the chance to play at their best given their playing career is only short and the sacrifices they have to make for the sport.

11. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student
    Well yes, as a fan of badminton and tennis sport I can see there are so many differences between these two sport tournament. I mean, tennis is way more professional and I really want badminton to be like that too.

As for this All England edition, I personally got surprised when see our first day was still playing when it pass midnight time. I mean, it's not acceptable for everyone, the player, the supporters, the umpire, linejudges, whoever there actually. Just insane.

We just have to see why this could happened and I think the number of rubber matches that day is the main reason for it. This could be happened for every reason too, the competition is very high or just like already been said, players already adapted to this 21 scoring system so they can maximize it. Gosh you even can say that WD matches that included JPN players could end up rubber even when it's not started yet.

As this condition happened to some players who has high profile in badminton world, like Peter Gade and Taufik Hidayat (I still have to see some players who got affected much about this late condition), their voice are quite important. I mean, can you imagine someone like Rajiv protest would be heard by us? Even he is from England himself.

My point is, for those players who have the capability to speak their mind please say it for everyone's advantages, I mean, at first you have to think about your own matches but you could bring this issues by asking everyone else so it becoming more powerful not just like coming from someone who got lost or almost lost because haven't ate.

I personally think 21 scoring system is still the best option. And to avoid something like this happened, we could choose between add some court at first day when the match is overloaded or start a day earlier. I would not mind got a full week of badminton. :D

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Just by natùre of aging, older players like Hidayat and Gade are not as resilient as the younger ones. Already the 21 point system is tough, if BWF wants to penalize older players from now on by making a habit of holding midnight matches with 4-5 hr delay, then these older players may as well call it quits now.

13. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Organising a tournament is never easy. There is so much planning that goes into it that Murphy’s Law will inevitably present itself. Unfortunately it has to occur at AE.
    We all know that the number of match ties are fixed in a 128-64-32-16-8-4-2 formation. Nothing we can change about that.
    The problem with AE seems to be 1 less courts to appease the advertisers. Nothing wrong with that as sponsors need to display their banners to get their buck’s worth on TV for sponsoring the tournament.
    There are those who think the scoring should be change to a tie break. I agree it seems ridiculous but maybe something to consider if time is the essence.Tie break in tennis is used to prevent the set from going forever so its' one way to get a result after an hour's game of tennis at six all. Not sure how it can be implemented in badminton.
    Perhaps the best way to resolve these issues is actually consider reducing the number of points ..... say reduce the present 21 points to just 15 points.
    Then you can use 4 courts in AE (will please the advertisers), each game would surely last 40 minutes (will please the organisors), and the players will be pleased and will play to their best with less points to play. To tell the truth, nothing will be compromised and every body will be happy.
    Perhaps those in badminton’s corridor of power can give this 15 points a thought maybe...... only maybe.

Permanis

14. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

15 points? Slow starters are doomed with the current scoring format! They have way less time to recover!

15. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

I don't know why BWF keeps thinking that the popularity of the sport has anything to do with unpredicted length and still want to shorten it. The current scoring system moves forward and will end eventually, within a reasonable time. On the other hand, tennis deuce and tie system can go on forever should both players have the determination. Didn't we hear news about tennis matches that last longer than 10 hours ?

I don't understand, it's nothing to do with the length of the game. The current scoring system has given a good indication to spectators that the game will definitely end in 2 hours max, so I don't see the problem here.

It's a better prediction and better organizing that is needed, no a change of the scoring system to make it shorter.

#35 Wildstone, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Two questions:1) Why 4? What s wrong with 5? BWF will have to answer that to fan, players,etc. if they can t reveal, it means they have something unsavoury to hide. 2) Would fans prefer an 80 min LCW vs LD OG final or 40 min one (for tie break)? Maybe they can make only Round 1 using tiebreak scoring. I can imagine major upsets, especially of CHN players.

17. hiho1961

hiho1961 Regular Member

Builder
    I think for this event 35min per match is not that good especially for these high quality players, one would expect a set to take 15 to 20min and then add a couple of breaks , just try yourself to rally for a full 60 sec at their pace. We need to respect the players but also take out some stalling tactics , but this is sport and even at a social level after a hard earned point I need to recover so dont let the umpires spoil the game like in most other sports descretion needs to be applied! 5 courts is better if you are ahead of schedule you can always move back to 4 and officials can relax a little. 2am game is just stupid I dont take my dog for a run at that time

#37 hiho1961, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  18. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Please note that as far as I know during INA open, been told each match needs 45 minutes..why suddendly 35? I guess it starts at 10 am whcih usually starts 9 am....4 courts is the rule...if needed..we can have extra days..in tennis , grand slam for 2 weeks..premier tennis is 10 or 11 days....if it is Super series premier..we can add extra day..please remember that not all SS finsihes at 3 am..ocassionally 12 something...Keeep scoring system.takes time to adapt and it is perfect....I my self prefer see match per match not 5 or 6 matches like GP..it is crazy...that's why badminton is not as popular as tennis....

19. sen

sen Regular Member

I agree. If tennis grand slam lasted for 2 full weeks, from monday until Sunday in the following week, why can't badminton last for 1 full week? Start the qualifying on Monday if needed. But actually there is no need to start on Monday, just have some of the 1st round on Tuesday night(especially those not involving qualifiers, to be fair to the qualifiers who have to play twice on Tuesday)

Some fan do not mind watching from Monday onwards, some like to watch even qualification round.

20. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Quoted for truth. These clowns seem to think shorter = better. By that math why not just decide the match with a coin toss. Hell, we'll even let the Chinese team use a two headed coin for their matches.

It amazes me that these clowns can't draw on an abundance of evidence to the contrary from Tennis. Witness the buzz about the recent epic final of the Australian Open. Where you had a match go on for over 4 hours! People were talking about it for days and no one was complaining about the length of time it took.

I fully expect the next proposal from the BWF brain trust will be to take a page out of soccer or basketball and have matches played for a fixed time instead of to a set score. Picture it, whoever has the most point after 15 minutes wins. Of course 15 minutes might be a bit long.