Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    The before the match one can be calmly analyzed and predicted over a cup of coffee or something, :D

It's the during the match one that is still giving chong wei the problem. :eek:

Misbun able to be by his side and coming up fast enough with cue words can help chong wei :)

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

ctjcad,
    Lose for LD's case doesnt matter, as he has won without Tang there, the other China coaches are good enough. As far as I recall, every time LCW won over LD, Misbun was there.
    The seems more confident part, body language & manner, same as one of the factors I judge KKK/TBH's 'trend', player's body language on court. We already discussed these stuff bf

With other players, LCW has learnt & gotten used to battling them without his sifu there. LD is still the biggest hurdle.I dont rate highly Tey SB or Rashid Sidek, to me, even with them there, LCW is on his own. Misbun no need talk a lot, just give moral support to LCW with his super cool 'no need panic' look, enough. To give another example : many has attributed Kido/Hendra's success in winning the AG 2010 to Sigit's presence. Oops, wrong thread to discuss this....
    Ok, back to LCW being WR#1. Chris@ccc, you can go to BWF site under Historical Ranking, they have the rankings from Jan 2009. According to wikipedia, LCW was WR#1 from Aug 21, 2008.

#702 eaglehelang, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    LCW was shown as the World No.1 throughout BWF's Ranking List, via Historical Ranking

Thanks eaglehelang. :):):)

Yes I went there (the Historical Ranking) to have a look. LCW was shown as the World No.1 throughout.

I suppose we will take Wikipedia's word for it, that LCW was WR#1 from Aug 21, 2008.

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yes
    lcw become world number one since after the og 2008 final

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

limsy has all the records

Thanks for your confirmation, limsy. I know that you have all the records. :):):)

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei’s world No.1 status under serious threat

Just received this article;

http://www.thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/3/9/sports/8215289&sec=sports

====== * ====== start of part of article ====== * ======

Wednesday March 9, 2011
    By RAJES PAUL

Chong Wei’s world No. 1 status under serious threat

PETALING JAYA: Lee Chong Wei’s three-year reign as the top ranked player in the BWF World Super Series is under serious threat at the All-England, which begins today in Birmingham.

The Malaysian is at the risk of dropping one rung to the No. 2 spot in the Super Series ranking if he fails in the defence of the title and China’s Lin Dan takes the crown.

And with his status and pride at stake, expect a determined Chong Wei to go the extra mile in the championships.

The prestigious All-England is a Premier Super Series event and offers US$350,000 in prize money for the first time.

The rivalry has grown very close between Chong Wei and Lin Dan in the World Super Series with the Malaysian winning the season-opening event at home with Lin Dan closing in by defeating the world No. 1 in the final of the South Korea Open a week later.

In the past, Lin Dan had chosen to skip many of the Super Series tournaments but with BWF making it compulsory for all the top 10 players to compete, the badminton stage has suddenly become more competitive and exciting for the fans.

Barring any upsets, top seed Chong Wei and Lin Dan are expected to clash in the All-England final.

Chong Wei said that he had not lost the fire to win the All-England title for a second time but he would tread with caution on the way he approached his matches.

“Of course, I would like to retain the title but the journey will not be easy.

“I have made mistakes in the past by putting too much pressure on myself from the start,” he said.

“I want to take it one day at a time. It’s getting tougher and tougher every year.”

Following the withdrawal of Japan’s Sho Sasaki, Chong Wei will take on qualifier Brice Leverdez of France in the first round today.

The others in his half of the draw include Indonesians Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Simon Santoso, China’s Bao Chunlai and Chen Long and Denmark’s Peter-Gade Christensen.

Third seed and four-time All-England champion Lin Dan meets veteran Malaysian Wong Choong Hann in the opening round and others in the half of the draw are second seed Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia, Chinese Chen Jin, Wang Zhengming and Du Pengyu, and South Korean Park Sung-hwan.

====== * ====== end of part of article ====== * ======

7. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    RAJES PAUL has just got an award for feature writing and so maybe this article is to indicate she is still in currency. She tends to be 'dramatic' with her features but it is the racket that does the 'talking'. ;););)

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

BWF MS Ranking Points: Processed on 03-Mar-2011 (Week 9)

I just had a look at the BWF MS Ranking Points;

http://bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14955

Processed on 03-Mar-2011 (Week 9), we have this ranking list;

1. Lee Chong Wei (MAS)........89197 points
    2. Taufik Hidayat (INA)..........76392 points
    3. Lin Dan (CHN)...................70514 points
    4. Peter Gade (DEN)..............69975 points
    5. Chen Long (CHN)...............67133 points

Lin Dan won't be able to overtake Lee Chong Wei when the 2011 All England SSP finishes.

9. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach

Yes, even without looking at the above my hunch tells me no way Lin Dan can overtake Lee Chong Wei in this case :)

Somebody should invite Rajesh Paul to be bc members and get some correct info here lol :D

10. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Yup, hope she keeps up her good works:D

11. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Georgeboy, kindly read Rajes's article one more time and then post # 708:D

12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Hey, that's just some kind of 'compliment' ok?:D

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei retains All-England title in classy fashion

I think Rajes Paul reads our BC threads. Here is her latest article;

The Star Online > Sports

Monday March 14, 2011
    Lee retains All-England title in classy fashion
    By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: For the first time, Malaysia’s Lee Chong Wei truly felt on top of the world.

Yesterday, Chong Wei showed who was the real boss on the court when he defeated his nemesis, Lin Dan of China, 21-17, 21-17 in a highly-charged 52-minute final to retain the All-England title.

It was a priceless win and an ecstatic Chong Wei slumped to his knees in sheer delight before rising to the thunderous applause of the fans at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham.

It was the first time that Chong Wei had beaten Lin Dan to win a major title and the record between the two archrivals now stands at 7-18.

With the win, too, Chong Wei reaffirmed his status as the world No. 1 and also hung on to the number one standing in the Super Series rankings.

And Chong Wei also became the first Malaysian to retain the All-England title since Eddy Choong pulled off the feat in 1956 and 1957.

But more importantly, the win yesterday showed that Chong Wei has the ability to come out of Lin Dan’s shadow and be a real challenger for the Olympic gold in London next year.

Lin Dan, gunning for a second consecutive Premier Super Series title after nailing the first in South Korea, got off to a smashing start but it was not too long before Chong Wei got into the groove.

Looking more confident and focused in his approach, Chong Wei piled up the pressure on the three-time world champion, often catching Lin Dan with his clever moves at the net and showing incredible defence to frustrate the Chinese.

They were tied at 8-8 and at one stage Lin Dan was affected by a bad line call and it allowed Chong Wei to pull away to 17-10.

But Lin Dan, who was ironically more interested in playing rallies than using his lethal attacking shots, fought back to 17-18. But that was as far as he went as Chong Wei snapped out of the spell to take the first game.

The second game was even tighter as both tried to outfox each other with their tight net shots and super fast counter attacks until they were tied at 17-17.

Instead of buckling under pressure like he used to before, a cool and composed Chong Wei romped home to take four points in a row to land himself a third title of the year after victories at the Super Series Masters Finals in Taiwan and Malaysia Open in January.

National coach Rashid Sidek hailed Chong Wei’s achievement as a big breakthrough.

“He played a superb game and was able to overcome the psychological barrier against Lin Dan,” he said in a telephone interview.

“He not only handle the challenge from Lin Dan well but he also executed excellent counter attacks to pressure Lin Dan. That to me is a big improvement.

“Today, Lin Dan was making most of the mistakes and he was unable to kill some of Chong Wei’s shots. Chong Wei, on the other hand, maintained a consistent pace.

“Chong Wei has always been criticised for winning the small tournaments. But this time, he defeated Lin Dan for a big one.”

http://www.thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2011/3/14/sports/8262820.asp&sec=sports

14. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

This is before AE points are calculated

Rank Country Player Points Tournaments
    1 MAS Chong Wei LEE 89196.8578 12
    2 INA Taufik HIDAYAT 76392.0826 16
    3 CHN Dan LIN 72473.975 12

LCW and LD have participated in equal amount of tournaments. When AE points are calculated, LCW's points are set to break 90k!!! :eek:

15. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Will LD overtake Taufik as world No.2? I hope so...

16. undeadshot

He will. LD had been a quarter-finalist to a runner-up, while Taufik had been a quarter-finalist to the first round.

17. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Thanks... hopefully LCW and LD will remain as No.1 and No.2 till OG2012 so that they won't meet each other till the final... BOLEH?

18. undeadshot

Yeah, it would be much more fitting for them to meet in the final every time! :D

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2011 Week 10 World Ranking Lists

2011 Week 10 World Ranking Lists are out.

For the top 5 Mens Singles players, here are their rankings;

1. Lee Chong Wei (MAS)........89197 points
    2. Taufik Hidayat (INA)..........76392 points
    3. Lin Dan (CHN)...................72474 points
    4. Peter Gade (DEN)..............69975 points
    5. Chen Long (CHN)...............67133 points

Bao Chunlai was ousted from the top 10, dropping five places to No.13.

Source: http://bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14955

#719 chris-ccc, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  20. undeadshot

I believe that by tomorrow, the rankings will be updated bringing in the All-England results into consideration. Why not wait until then?