Slow mo video of Fu Haifeng teaching how to smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by visor, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

the part where he is hitting them over and over, the sound is so consistent.. and it looks almost effortless..
    *** note to self *** rewatch video and practice more

2. visor

visor Regular Member

You should know that part is a loop... hence sounds and looks exactly identical...... But the most important thing to note there is not the power or sound, but to see how utterly relaxed his hitting action is... totally unforced.

#22 visor, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  3. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

ah should have watched more clkosely, feel like a muppet now...

4. Alex.W

Alex.W Regular Member

Badminton Player
    Very nice technique!

5. alexh

alexh Regular Member

I can't help wondering if the sound was digitally enhanced. Still, it looks pretty impressive.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The sound isn't likely enhanced. That the gym looks as big as an aircraft hanger: Superb acoustics for deafening smashes!

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    totally agree. here is one i recorded. it was just a few of us hitting around doing clears and light hits. the location is a huge 18 court facility with nobody else but us in the middle of the night. turn up the volume a bit and you can hear the impact very clearly and well as the echo. this was recorded on just an iphone and no further processing:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/shared/sounds/badmintonsound_cba.m4a

8. pk_volt

pk_volt Regular Member

lol, edited sound.

9. latosboy

latosboy Regular Member

thanks for posting I really learned a lot, although how I wish I could understand what he is saying.

10. latosboy

latosboy Regular Member

thanks for the translation

11. visor

visor Regular Member

To add more instruction to FHF's slow mo video, thought I'd post here Gollum's most excellent advice on the smash technique from this post in 2006:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...inetics-for-power-strokes?p=383288#post383288

The best way is to watch some videos of the pros in slow motion. This is especially effective when they play the slow motion replay after a rally, because you can see even more detail.

When watching videos of the pros, be aware that they use many different variations on a basic stroke. For example, they use "half-smashes" as well as full smashes. A half-smash uses somewhat different technique to a full smash. Look for a situation where they have time to get ready and play a full smash.

Ready position: as you said. Shoulders and body turned almost 90 degrees to the net (though head looking forwards). Elbow high, just below the level of shoulders, and flexed ("pointed" with a small angle, less than 90 degrees, between the upper and lower arms) Racket strings facing the floor. Left arm raised in front of you.

Hitting: rotate your body as your shoulders turn. Mike Woodward, former BE coaching manager, says, "Hip, hit, hooray!", which is a nauseatingly twee expression but does remind you that the hip should come forward before you hit the shuttle.

As your shoulders turn, your elbow (still flexed) comes forward and higher and your racket head drops down behind your back. You then uncoil from this position, extending your elbow as you pronate the forearm. At the start of this motion your racket strings are facing inwards (to your left, if right handed); at the moment of impact, instantaneously, they face straight where the shuttle will travel; and immediately afterwards, they face outwards (right).

Following after the shot, the racket travels initially straight and then relaxes across to the left.

During the hitting phase, at the same time as you turn your shoulders, you need to turn your legs around. You start with the left leg forward and the right leg back; just before you start the hitting phase you must take your legs off the ground, so that during the hittting phase you can rotate your hips and swap your legs around: you finish with the left leg back and right leg forward. Land on the left leg fractionally earlier than the right leg, throwing it well out behind you, so that you can use it to push forwards.
    Last edited by Gollum; 05-16-2006 at 02:39 AM. ​

12. flailingarms

flailingarms Regular Member

Student
    Thanks to this thread I managed to change my smashing technique and it has made a huge difference to my smash - you can really hear the difference between my old and new smashes. I also came across this video which is another of Fu Haifeng explaining his technique. I can translate if anyone wants - one of the few times where being bilingual is a bonus XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=286TKKPL60M

13. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    It would be awesome if you could translate :)

Much appreciated, thanks!

Justin

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Haha! Thanx for the video, flailingarms. That one is a pseudo Fedex commercial, iirc. But still good. :)

15. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

+1 for a translation

Rich

16. flailingarms

flailingarms Regular Member

Student
    The smash in doubles has the most danger and requires the most concentration, you should not always count on the smash to earn points but it can allow you to create net kill opportunities for your partner. *smash*
    Smashing actually should not always require your full strength. First and foremost, you must correct your own movements and angles, I will break down the smash movements for everyone.
    To begin with, you should form a straight line from your left hand to right hand. [Right to left for Right handed players, plus he is hinting at lining up your racket elbow to the non racket hand.]
    Second is loading - the movement of the racket to behind you head - your elbow should be at the highest point possible. The racket should be loaded to behind your body (next to your back) with the elbow in a very flexed postion.
    Third - hitting the shuttle - you should hit the shuttle at the higest point possible.
    Fourth (and lastly) - Follow through and recovery of racket (for the next shot).
    These are my break down movements.
    There are two types of smash - the power and the slice smashes. Power smashes use strength and speed, slice smashes are somewhat more deceptive and harder to predict. If you work hard, although it's very hard to overtake Fu Haifeng, you can get near to him [refering to speed and power]

* The translation is not perfect and is naturalised word for word so it easier to make sense of =)

True that, but I'm still in a phase of being obsessed with learning how he does it, and it really has made a difference to my smash - that and re learning how to hold a darned racket...
    Oh and there are more Fedex commercials that also talk about technique but indeed, they are meant to promote Fedex and Badminton and less about the actual techniques :rolleyes:.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Awesome! Thanx for the translation. You should also post that translation to that YouTube video. :)

18. indrato

indrato Regular Member

This video and some other help me just recently to improving my smash. For years my smash is quite weak and doesnt feel right. I once injured my shoulder by smashing with full strength and going all out, this injury is last for several month and even after a years it still hurt again. Then i started to improving my smash technique and my shoulder is not hurt anymore. My smash is weaker than before but thats allright.

Now I know that my smash is weak because i dont use body rotation just my arm. This body rotation should transfer to your arm, this is a bit hard and i have to practice for the transfer to work. The last part is the pronation. Although many people say it, i dont really understand untill just recently.

Now i practice it, and still have to adapt because difference in the timing. Last time i play, i can make a few good smash although not full strength.

19. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Thankyou very much for posting that video and the translation!

20. indrato

indrato Regular Member

Finally, i can make a smash with ease. last night i play like a hard hitter, smashing almost all the time. I know my smash is not that powerfull but its enough to score point and to keep pressure on the opponent. I can smash all the time because now i dont use too many strength for my smash, only with body rotation to switch body weight from back to front and transfer the energy to forearm. It is much like a kick in football /soccer.

I guess that phrase "hip hit horray" really is true.