ANNOUNCEMENT: new Karma system

Discussion in 'Badminton Central Announcements' started by kwun, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Why? Because they feel upset?

Are people really that sensitive about karma?

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I agree, and I understand how much effor and time our mods already put in.

To "support" my own suggestion :D, I think we might do the following: Promote another member (of course, well trusted by most members) be to the karma mod. S/he will mainly in charge of the "Karma complains" from members, and determine whether it's legit to give negative Karma to the "target". If s/he willing to do so, s/he can also minitoring some threads (i.e. debating) w/o even being informed from members. If s/he decides the thread is way out of control, lock/delete the thread, as well as send warning or negative karmas to the involved members.

From what my own observation, I see only a very small percent of members receive significant amount of negative karma. Therefore, the "target pool" should be very limited. Therefore, should not be crazy OT for anyone.

Overall, with some monitoring, we can still let everyone give "+" karmas to show their respect, but greatly eliminate childish behavior of "I don't like u, I screw you". :rolleyes:

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I'm not sensitive to the karma here at all. I was just highlighting the potential misuse of the karma distribution mechanism here. Also, how does new members judge a poster with good or bad karma weighting when they can't see that poster's karma at all?

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I don't think the karma is particularly useful for judging the "reputation" of a poster or assessing the credibility of his posts. Karma is not visible, and I'd expect people to judge a post by its content rather than the author's karma.

As far as I can see, the main value of karma is as a feedback system for the author.

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Huh? That's strange:confused:. For a time I thought everybody could see other people's Karma points. Did Kwun switch that off?

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I think we've only ever been able to see two things: the green box (or red, or grey), and the vague, quirky description that appears when you hover the mouse over.

I don't recall ever seeing karma points (except my own).

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

ah, if everyone in the world wasn't sensitive to a certain extent about what's happening around them, we might be living in a much more tolerant society.

i do agree though that the 'tolerance' or 'friendliness' in BC is much better than in other forums i've seen, long may it continue.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Don't allow negative karma points to discourage us from posting@BC

Greetings,

It is great that our members@BC, with passion for our beloved Badminton, to continue posting. :)

We are bound to have agreement and disagreement. Our Forum@BC would be dull, boring, uninteresting and tiresome if our members agree with everything posted.

If tolerance and friendliness are shared, then we'll become a happy family. :cool::cool::cool:

Please do not allow negative karma points to discourage us from posting@BC.

Cheers... chris@ccc

#128 chris-ccc, Sep 4, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  9. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    To be honest, after the first 2 weeks of the karma thingy was introduced, I no longer pay much attention on that little green box. I still read each postings as they are without much regard to the poster's karmal rating nor their post counts.

I really appreciate those regular contributors, who are very good in their respecitve area of speciality, their post content and substance speak for themselves - keep them coming!

10. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    my sentiments exactly! To all the wonderful posters out there...keep up the great work and we want to let you know that many of us appreciate your effort, whether u got karma-ed or not^_^
    frankly speaking i don't think the system actually bothers any of us a lot anyway:cool:

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    True true... the karma thingdy doesnt really bother anyone. Maybe some dont even noticed it.

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I suspect a lot of people don't notice it at all, because almost everyone's karma looks the same: one little green box.

Eventually, however, we'll start to see multiple green boxes; and then I think it will become noticeable (because there will be visible differences).

13. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

I only noticed one color change so far, that was Mr Cooler's green box turned red after his US Open posts. :p I think it's turned back green now. I wonder why. :confused:

14. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    due to the heat of US Open.....:D

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Kwun,

Would it be possible to keep a full list of karma comments in my user profile? At the moment the earlier ones are dropping off the bottom.

It's not just a vanity thing: over time, this record of comments will become a useful "log book" of popular content, and I will eventually use it as a guide (and a source of inspiration) for writing articles. Unfortunately that won't work if I'm limited to the latest 10 comments.

If there's a storage space issue, I'm happy to pay a small fee for an upgraded account.

Perhaps you could have a "show last N karma" / "show all karma" option.

xt6666 likes this.
  16. outlah

outlah Regular Member

government hand-out
    Good intentions, but as stated by others, system is open to be abused. It might just end up being ultilize by a small group of members and get turn into a popularity contest.

If we really want to be an authority on a certain subject, we should send our resume to Kwun. He will then verify our creditials and conduct a full Criminal Background Check, follow by a drug screening.:) Wouldn't it be nice to know who we can go to if we ever want detail information on nanocarbon, or how physics actually work in badminton? I mean, I would never trust my accountant to give me medical advice just because he/she has been sick all their life.

It would be nice to have something for the Buy/Sell forum. Where you can actually keep track of sellers and buyers. I never understand why the buyer always have to send money first? Why can't it be the other way around? Is it because the seller is most trust worthy than the buyer? Just my thoughts.

#136 outlah, Sep 7, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hey, no peeking:D BTW, i bought some green karma points from ebay, that's why. :p

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

'Most Popular Members' system Vs 'Karma' system

The emphasis is that they have done something good.

After all, good karma are for those who have done good things. :):):)

Agree... sometimes systems like "democracy" and/or "majority is always right" can direct us to the wrong path. :):):)

Also agree...

If this is a popularity contest, kwun would have named this as our 'most popular members' system, and not our 'karma' system'. :):):)

19. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Cool Little Secret

To let out a little secret, cooler is color-blind :(

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

When all hell broke loose in our threads

Hi LazyBuddy,

In fact, initially I thought that;

[​IMG] ... is for us to inform the posters that their posts are useful/helpful, and
    [​IMG] ... is for us to inform the moderators that a poster is behaving inappropriately/improperly.

We have witnessed how some of our members@BC have argued... when all hell broke loose. :)

Cheers... chris@ccc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.