Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. feather_guy

feather_guy Regular Member

Well it's interesting that some VT 80's have paint defects. Do you think I would be able to get a refund or exchange for my VT 80 from the store I purchased it from?

2. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Anyone else feel the AT700 is at least equal to (if not better than) the VT80?
    Gave it a try to see whether it's worth replacing my AT700... answer was a definite No. Feels kinda like a training racquet, lol.

3. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I feel it's an "improvement", but then I didn't use the AT700 for very long. How many hours have you played with the AT700? And how many hours have you played with the VT80?

I've personally used the 3U VT80 for about 35 playing hours. The only thing I struggled with slightly in the first 24 playing hours (or so) was consistently lifting big smashes to the back. I'm now finding it easier to lift and change direction with the VT80 than with lighter rackets - definitely adapted really well to the racket now. I think my smashes are marginally faster on average than with previous rackets too. I suspect I need to improve my smashing technique and timing to get even more out of the VT80's head heaviness.

4. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Had a crink in my neck all day yesterday. Played singles again last night. Woke up with a stiff sore neck that made it very hard to shoulder check when I drove to work this morning. But I had fun last night playing badminton.

My NP5000 friend (who's better than me) finally joined us (me + Arc10 friend) for singles game last night. I started the night so-so (with the crink in my neck). Couldn't really do any backhand clears. I won the first game against Arc10 friend but only cuz he broke his strings at 12-12. He didn't have a replacement so I lent him my old MP66. Suffice to say...I won 15-12. I then proceeded to win against the newcomer 15-3. To be fair...it was his first time playing with feathers and every shot was long or into the net. He had a much better game against my Arc10 friend but still lost 13-15. Played one more game with Arc10 friend...he won 15-12. So it was a good night...lots of sweat and another player to play against. NP5000 friend says he'll try to come out more often...which is great. He hates losing so I think when he's adapted to the feathers...it'll up our play (skill level).

We went pretty much 1 feather per game. So I think the AS40 has good flights (as good as AS50) and good durability (1-1.5 games per feather). I think the AS50 has the edge in durability (1.5-2 games per feather) but is that worth an extra $5???

Lesson learned tonight...get a backup racket so when your string breaks you don't lose a beat.

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Ok so I'm not sure what this racket is about.

I borrowed my friends again, used for 1 doubles and 1 singles. We swapped rackets so he had my 700LTD.

The doubles match we lost, but it was too be expected, weren't playing too competitively and also both players on the other side were better than my partner. It was really the way we lost that annoyed me. The VT 80 is faster than the 700L, but I still feel I defend better with the 700L. Figured it was a timing issue, but I never seemed to return one smash cleanly, or do what I would usually do. Then was even more disappointed when I found that there was no power at the back of the court (despite the ultimax strings!:p) good at the front of the court though (not much consolation)

So singles, which is my prefered event anyways.:) played first game with the 700L, won 21-8 so switched rackets again, and suddenly found myself 11-17 down:eek: again might be timing, but can't be certain, I didn't have the confidence to smash and know it was going to be a killer shot, even of half court lifts. It feels a good racket, just nothing special, which for something thats $200+ it's kinda disappointing. Might get another shot of it another time, but it's not something Im desperate to try again. Switched back to my other 700L and won the game 22-20. Might be timing, but I doubt it is purely that.

Convinced now that the MX80 is the way forward!:p

6. kmyap

kmyap Regular Member

I have been using this racket VT-80 and string BG66 for about 3 months and enjoying it still, playing both singles and doubles eventhough more doubles than singles, lol. This racket enable you to do faster and more powerful smash and very excellent control for drop shot. Good racket for defense as well. Because of it is a quite light racket and perhaps have the thinnest shaft, it feels easier to change grip between forehand and backhand for netting/or even trick shot (I am still practicing though =) ) Backhand wise, it does not give the power to clear as much as Arc8DX which was my previous one. Overall, high quality racket, well built, adn depends on your preference, this might be a good one for you.

7. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

One thing I did notice with the VT80 is that I had to change my technique a little coming from the AT900P... What worked for me on the AT900P did not work on the VT80... When I switched back... What worked on the VT80 didn't work on the AT900P... So I think it's about getting used to it...

I agree with the defense on the VT80... It's really fast despite the heavy head... The shaft did make thinks a lot easier to maneuver on defense. As for backhand... I absolutely love the VT80 for it!!! Other players always push it to my backhand because it's typically the weaker shot but with the VT80, I can make effortless backhand clears.... From my back corner to the opposition's backhand corner... I don't know if that's the "smart" play... But I use it a lot :p

8. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Yes, it's probably also because you're not good enough to use the racket properly hehe.

Seriously though, you should give it more time. Took me at least 24 hours of playing time to fully adapt to it, and it's well worth it. Right now, I really believe the racket isn't the entity holding me back - my technique is by far the biggest issue. Footwork is probably the only entity that I'm very happy with.

9. urameatball

Photographer
    the AT700 is my full-time racket. It's been easy to play with since the day I picked it up. Whereas the VT80 somehow seems like I'm using more energy than I should to hit the same type of shot I would with the 700. Mind you, it could be a timing thing because I only gave it a 10min test. But that's the same 10min test I use on a whole lot of other rackets before settling with the AT700.
    My friend who owns the racket feels the same way, and he's a competitive player like me.
    Personally, I like a racket that works well from day1. If I need a couple of weeks to adjust to the racket, it's probably not the right racket for me. After reading a lot of the posts on this thread, it seems like a lot of people are forcing themselves to like this racket just because it's the latest in the yonex line-up.

10. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Who really knows man. I've played with a few rackets in the past where I initially thought they were amazing (after one session of play), and then the racket turned out to be more and more average with each subsequent session. One example is the apacs Tantrum 300 - after the first game with it (about 10-15 minutes), I felt I'd never played so well hehe.

My first session with the AT700 was horrible (felt like the worst racket I'd ever tried at that point in time), but it got better with each session.

My first session with the VT80 was decent. And it's got better and better ever since.

Moral of the story, at least for non-pro players, the racket doesn't really matter - just play with whatever you think is good. If you don't like a racket, it doesn't mean it's a bad racket. It's just bad for you, for whatever reason(s):
    1. You're not patient enough to spend time adapting to it
    2. You're not consistent enough and had one of those "below average" sessions
    3. Your style doesn't suit the balance/aerodynamics of the racket
    4. You're psychologically biased against the racket
    5. You're Lin Dan and every racket is bad. But it doesn't matter, because you are too good anyway.

11. urameatball

Photographer
    I'm probably #5 :p

12. CanucksDynasty

I'm #6 - I suck so bad that it doesn't matter what racket I use so might as well have the newest racket to look cool. :D

13. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

And girls dig it.

14. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

Only if your racquet is in pink :p

15. urameatball

Photographer
    and big, and extra stiff.

wait, what were we talking about again?

16. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Yes, it is your racquet! Girls loves your racquet!

17. Barca

Barca Regular Member

You mean a racket on steroid???

18. CanucksDynasty

Played singles again last night. My friend had his Arc10 restrung with BG80. I won the first game 15-3 so I'll chaulk it up to him getting used to the new tension. Won the rest with scores of 15-11, 15-6, 15-11. Finally my net game was on fire. I had 4-5 sweet net drops that hit the tape and just rolls over. Maybe because I started to slice my drops when at the net. The Yonex AS-40 again held up pretty well with 1 feather lasting 3 games but the next feather didn't last 1 game. Gonna buy the AS-30 and see how that plays.

19. fiq_axis

fiq_axis Regular Member

@canucksDynasty

so, you loves Voltric80? :cool:

20. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

I think he sleeps with it at night :p