*New! Adidas Badminton

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by derrickn, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Viktor Axelsen will be sponsored by Adidas soon.
    He already signed the contract.

I hope with Adidas in Badminton, Badminton will become a bit more famous in Germany.
    We will see.

2. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Picking up Axelsen is a very good choice. He is one of the most promising Juniors in this era. it is a big loss for Yonex and other brands considered Axelsen keeps on his track.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    About an hour ago, I have been on the courts. Somebody gave me sample racquets to try out.

Unfortunately, time was limited but the racquets I tried were robust and good quality. Well balanced. I didn't take any pictures (cuz not really supposed to). Aargh - such a scoop story as well.

There's a good chance I will try the racquets again when my elbow feels a bit better. Trying to get some terms with them myself. Hehehe

4. isben

isben Regular Member

Engineer
    Was at SS Sports in Queensway (Singapore) and the guy manning the shop was mentioning that they are not bringing in the rackets as he feels at the price range might as well stick to Yonex.

5. vicnard12

vicnard12 Regular Member

Accountant
    i am an ADIDAS die hard fan for their clothing and shoes. i am a badminton enthusiast/hobbyist too.
    knowing that the brand will launch badminton apparels, gears, etc. makes me so so excited..
    can't wait, can't get off my mind.. :D
    a racket and a shoe would surely top my wishlist once available in stores!!

6. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

Going by your comments, looks like we have a rival for Yonex and Li Ning soon :D

7. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Didn't you consider Victor as a competitor for Yonex and LiNing ? :D

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

TBH, I haven't tried the LiNing range at all (nor looked at the prices). I managed to play with a MX80 over the Christmas and that was quite good. However, not that many places sell Victor in my location (or rather I have to make quite an effort to find it).

If the rest of the range feels as good as the ones I tried, yes, we will have 4 main players in the market. I tried only 2 racquets out the samples. I do feel top end racquets have become overpriced and I guess Adidas racquets are going to near the same prices. I have used Yonex in the past and frames have broken easily. (i.e.Isometric 800 and Slim 10). That partly pushed me back to the carbonex 20 which I still use now - the earlier production line seems to be tougher. If the Adidas racquets are tougher (we had a clash today and the racquets survived!), then uptake is going to be good amongst consumers. However, the distribution network is important as well for good sales as is the profit margin per racquet for the retailers.

I am moving to playing more doubles now and have been wondering about a change of racquets to accommodate the different playing style. I might change soon.

Unfortunately, I didn't have footwear to try out. The early version samples (I am told) were more all court wear types. So the sole, whilst suitable for general indoor sports, wasn't quite what we need as badminton players. Adidas, after getting feedback, have hopefully improved on the shoes.

#88 Cheung, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Normally, I don't post a lot on the equipment but this news has got me buzzing. :)

10. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

Did I? Can't remember though. When? :D

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

This bodes well - a top-32 player isn't going to use beach rackets... looks like Adidas is serious.

12. HEADATP

HEADATP Regular Member

I'm just hoping Adidas puts more efforts in their badminton racquets than they did with their tennis racquets. Their tennis racquets were borderline failure. *crosses fingers*

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

first and foremost, i think they are focusing the europe's market first.. Asia market is too early and hard for them to venture in and compete with the likes of yonex, li ning and victor

14. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

maybe more and more EU players will be sponsored by adidas. if they are successful in this, they might take over Head and Babolat in badminton in Europe! :eek:

15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Judging by the gushing reactions the rackets will sell themselves in Asia, no need for sponsored players :D German quality, wah!.

HEAD is out of badminton for a year already ;). And Babolat is not really big outside of the few sponsored players ...

If they are only focusing on Europe first they wouldn't launch in 50 countries from the start?

#95 demolidor, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  16. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

didn't know that :eek:. so you're saying that they want to compete with the big companies like YY, LN and victor? If yes, babolat and other smaller companies in EU will slowly become like HEAD :(
    P.S. i think Nike should do this too - Niketon! :D

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Babolat and HEAD are big in tennis already so no need for pity :p and Adidas failed to get into the tennis rackets so far. Maybe badminton was the backup plan :D ...
    BadNike ... BadNike

There is plenty of info on the adidas badminton facebook page if one cares to go through all the comments ;). The bad mania forum also has a comment the prices will be in between 119 and 169 euro.

18. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

Adidas failed in tennis career? I thought tsonga was sponsored by them. BadNike...Bad bad Nike. LOL
    the price is like YY's high end racket price already :eek:.
    P.S. 200th post, yippie!:D

19. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I don't want to sound pessimistic but for some reason I just can't see Adidas making that much of an impact on the sales of the heavy weights in this market.

Look at the likes of Wilson for example, a huge racquet manufacturer with as much (if not more) experience, know-how and history as any other manufacturer yet they've struggled in the badminton. They're massive in the tennis world but when it comes to badminton, there's only a small percentage of players at each level using their racquets. And with the recent rise of Victor and LN racquets, that would make it even more difficult.

My suspicions are that they would come on the scene with a few lines, sponsor a few players, but after a few years they'd realise they're not making much money and slowly withdraw their investment.

Don't get me wrong, I very much welcome new manufacturers to the market as it keeps the big boys on their toes and gives us consumers more choice. But it is a big challenge and the odds in my view are stacked against them.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Market penetration is a multifaceted process. Sponsorship of top players is one. But just one player is not enough - even if they are top of the world. That player has to have some charisma as well. :)

One needs a few top players and this is where things are interesting. Just how many top players are available with the ability to sign an individual equipment contract?

What about finding the racquets? I have hardly seen forza for sale, sotx only a few places, babolat rarely. Head, well, nothing in asia.

Sponsoring tournaments? That's an idea. I hope we can see more of this. Adidas sponsoring a world championships?

Li Ning has been making a loss as well. Wonder how long they can stay in the market....

I hope another manufacturer can stay in the market long enough to help the players push up their incomes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.