Glen Waverley Sat. 7:30-10:00pm Titan Badminton Club

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by ashley, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    Gee what happened, I checked the draw and I have been left out of the singles pools!! I paid $71 and don't tell me that stupid online registration didn't work properly grrrrr

2. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    Aaahh Twister, we have only ever seen one little kid beat one of us ëxperienced" players before and that was when that 12 year old beat Jonsen hahahahaha! Barring that weird exception, what those kids make up in youth, ability, speed, skill, we have 'old man' tactics that will sure to win the day until we are at least playing in Veterans...hint - we first make them feel sleepy whilst telling them a story about how we beat some national player 15 years ago when they were your age , yah yah yawn snoooooozzzzeeeee :)

3. N4ruto

N4ruto Regular Member

Engineer
    Good luck and happy denying Nemesis in the C/D events.

4. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    VicOpen2010.jpg

History in the making...
    1) Anthony and I are the first ever simultaneous D and B Champ of the Victorian Open and Graded :)
    2) According to Loke Poh reponsible for to the greatest volumn of protest email/phone call made to Badminton Victoria ever :D

Trophy Count 2010 = 6

5. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    Stop them we did !!! ....... Didnt realise there's so many of them now, they're breeding like rabbits .. C/D was made up of 50% Nemesis, 20% Juniors, 20% JT, 2 Foxys ;) and the rest independents...

And Nemesis tone down their support alot, the ranting of old man Anthony must have got to them :rolleyes:

6. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    Whoo hoo !!! .. Weight advantage won out in this contest :)

7. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    Sweet double victory!!!

"In the 80 years of Victorian badminton, there has never been a mens doubles pair that has dominated the graded levels more than Vien and Anthony" - now that is what should be on the front page of the Herald Sun tomorrow:p

Out of the A,B,C,D grades we took the historical TWIN doubles titles in D and B grades :D Unfortunately, Vien stopped at the qtr final mark in C singles and I only went one step further in the semis:rolleyes: That just left A grade, but we did take a hand in warming up Aaron & Dee in the initial roundrobin pool for their deserved victory in A doubles:)

The most controversial, provocative, debated, divisive, notorious, scandalous, heated, infamous, angered, protested D grade victory of all time:eek:, the organisers were bombarded with hundreds of complaints and attempts to disqualify us and we yet still prevailed, heck we were asked to have our photo taken by the runner's up - fame is hard to deal with ;)

{cue ''Eye of the Tiger'' song}...So after months of planning and sucking up to the organisers, taking them to expensive dinners, babysitting their children, putting their face on all our T-shirts, we go back underground to plan our next trophy hunt - who knows where in Australia we will pop up, but rest assured, the goals have changed, to deprive the Nemesis club of all badminton trophies in the B,C,D grades is now our only objective:D

8. twister

twister Regular Member

Well done Vien and Robb. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to play either of you. The little kid you killed ended up only losing to Oscar in the D final. If you deliberately lost to him in the first round, you might have got one more trophy - D Single title! bad planning, huh?! :p

9. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    Yeah Vien, what was with that? There was a D singles for the taking!

The difference between playing D singles and C singles is, in D grade a strong B grader can normally win on skill alone with no physical effort, whereas in C singles, skill gives you about 30% of the game, but unfortunately there are enough fit players and average skill to wear you down requiring 70% physical effort! In B grade its about 60% physical 40% skill, and A grade 50/50% - don't ask me about Open grade, never been in that hehe:p

We were wondering if you were playing this weekend...well I have been there done that, 2008, I won the D singles, D doubles and C mixed:cool: Next day got killed in A/B and was knocked out after first round:(

10. twister

twister Regular Member

11. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    As you guys are now the proud holder of the D grade title, you are no longer welcome at Titans. Remember the policy you had a say in implementing - only players C grade and above are allowed to play at Titans.

I cannot remember a doubles pair winning in both D grade and B grade in any tournament. That in itself shows how all these tournaments are now heading - to make money. This only started happening 2 years ago. When I played in the 2007 CBA tournament, players were only allowed to enter 1 grade, it was in the rules at that time.

They are playing into your hands Vien, next year you and Anthony may even be allowed to play in the B grade women's doubles and then year after the D grade women's doubles.

12. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    Well the prospect of a Double D trophy .. was a little tempting :), but it was no joke about the anger in the stadium about us just winning the D double, felt sorry for Loke Poh he copped it by nearly every parent of and other players :rolleyes:

... so Anthony and I thought we'll better do our best not to go into single's D grade as well ... which wasnt likely unless as you suggest we tanked it .. and for the record that D grade trophy was more of an oppotunity taken than a plan thing :D

... normally Anthony and I are poor starters, when we lose its normally in the 1st or 2nd game, and the cold weather (7 degree), early start, Anthony being 2 hours late cause of his flate tyre, and then couldnt find parking, and when he finally got there we were pretty much rush onto the court to play without much of a warm up .. in fact if he was 5 more minute late we would have had to forfeit the first game and go into D anyway .. it was destine ;)

13. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    I was happy just to knock out another up and coming junior :) .. just so in a few years time when he does become an international player .. and I'm still in C grade, I can claim i once beaten him ;) .. just like the way you go on about how you once beat Brendon and Aaron .. when they were still in diapers :)

14. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    Cant punish us Ash, we didnt break the rules :) ... on saturday for D grade we represented Foxy Badminton Club, as the top we were wearing would suggest .. it was only on sunday for the B grade that we represented Titans .. technicality :D

Well Loke Poh did make mention they're now considering having extra grades next year E and F grade ... and Ash you'll been out of the badminton tournament circuit for too long, they've always allow players to play both days, just couldnt play the same event in different grades on the same day and that you could only play at what was deem your level and above only .......... and unfortunately for everyone, Loke Poh rates me and Anthony as weak unfit and skill-less badminton clowns around mid C grade level .. so instead of being offended by it, we live it up :D

#914 vienb, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  15. N4ruto

N4ruto Regular Member

Engineer
    I am proud to have 2 champions playing week in week out with me. My heroes!!!

Side note: At least I can tell my daughter I have beaten Uncle Anthony and Uncle Vien, who are multiple champions in various badminton competitions throughout Australia.

16. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    We do aim to be motivation for the next generations .. all those juniors are motivated to train harder to have their revenge on us :)
    .. and a message for that little brad that accuse me of being a bias umpire cause i penalise him for reaching over the net to hit a shot that was clearly not going to make it over the net anyway ... learn the rules of badminton young grasshopper :rolleyes:
    I umpired alot during the weekend, not cause i liked it but cause i was trying to get back onto Loke Poh's good side by helping out here and there, in one game i was even accuse of being bias in favour of a Nemesis player :confused: ... if i was bias i would be against NOT for Nemesis :eek: .. accusing me of being a Nemesis lover like Dee is like spitting in my face :mad:

17. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    so true...to tell you the truth it was so hard to push on in the first match against Jason, he kept dropping and clearing and I just stayed in it until 20/20 or something and then turned up the speed to wrap it up. The match against Gary was pretty good, as his smash and drop was working well and he was catching up quickly once my energy started to fade. Yes against Eric, I had no answer at all legs wouldn't even think of working for me hehe:)

18. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    Funny you mention that...one of the final frontiers, is it possible that Vien and I can manage to play in a women's doubles event...our costumes may take a little longer to produce and I refuse to shave my legs though haha:p

D grade? We don't know what you are talking about Ashley, Vien and I played B grade and proudly waved the flag for TITANS, however some cheeky trophy hunters from Foxy club won the D grade doubles;)

Too true, tournaments have jacked the price way up and only diehards like us play in them! I remember when doubles would cost $12 at most to enter, not $25!!! Come on, don't tell me geese have become endangered species or something!!

19. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    HAHA! Yep forgot about that!! These little kids have never been taught by their parents or coaches that there are things called RULES of the game, and putting your racket 30 centimetres over the net to ensure my drop shot doesn't come over is breaking them!!

AND before anyone starts, like Vien said we were allowed to played C/D grade because the organisers agreed that we are unfit, skill-less C grade level players - too true if anyone bothered to watch our singles matches!!

20. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    Powerful players I have beaten when they were knee high to a bug

Aaahhhh Vien you have raised one of my favourite stories - the list of national or state or penant players I have beaten in C grade when they were still in primary school!

Names such as -
    Aaron Pham:D
    Boris Ma
    Victor Brooker
    Brendan Chu
    Jonathan Chim
    Leon Wong
    Saliya Gunaratne
    Sinyu Lai:p

and many others I have forgotten...still rue the day Jeff Tho beat me 21-14 when he was like 12 years old or something grrrr:mad: and Paul Stevenson who had been retired for like 5 years from the national team and flogged me 21-8 or something!

#920 Robbo77, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010