let's together answer : what is the ideal tension?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by kwun, Nov 14, 2003.

1. MURDERED CROWS

MURDERED CROWS Regular Member

student
    i use 23....its the best i think....i change my racquet strings like once a month....they always break cause im a hard hitter:)....i also think hard hitters should change their strings once a month becuase the tension is lost faster...

2. juste_millieu

juste_millieu Regular Member

one a month? :eek:
    Mine already more than half year :confused:
    I string at 24lbs :D

3. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Lots of people can't hit the sweet spot. So miss-hitting causes a lot of breakage. Also lots of people find the thinnest string possible, stretch it till breaking point through high tension. Since the string is already 90% broken before the shuttle is hit, there's no surprise it breaks quickly.

If people string a very thick string at low tension like 15 lbs and able to break it quickly, perhaps then they would be more convincing as power hitters. If anyone can do that, I would be willing to bow down before him and praise him as the god of badminton.

#263 CoolDoo6, May 20, 2007
    Last edited: May 20, 2007
  4. MURDERED CROWS

MURDERED CROWS Regular Member

student
    like what cooldoo6 said....at some shots i cant find the sweetspot so it breaks around the edges(it has happened twice).......

but also i change becuase the tension loses out quickly...and thats bad for the racquet.... all that tension is loss by the racquet compressing....

and sorry i made a typo...i use 24 as well not 23.....i just changed like 3 months ago....:eek:....

one way of checking if your racquet has lost its tension is by pressing your tumb of the strings(not to hard!)... see if there is a difference from when you frist strung it to now....if there's a big difference then chances are your playing at like a 22

5. hellspar3

hellspar3 Regular Member

I think anything between 22-26 is fine for the majority of badminton players. Perhaps some girls and girly guys can't extract enough power out of 24 and above, but for most people I think it's fine.

6. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    That's pretty funny, I would do 33lbs with bg66 for a try but if someone is willing to sponsor a racquet for me, then I will. Sifuyono why not try 15lbs as coodoo said?<-just for the heck of it:)

7. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    i already tried it before, but it was long time ago (about 20 years ago), when i use wooden racket, not so bad for beginner:D:D no accuracy at all..:p

8. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    LOL! someone try a 10lbs!<--what a waste of string ehh?

9. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

jelas aje brur ........ si Opik ada sponsornya, trus latihan tiap hari, so udah biasa ..... nah elo, gimana ? tapi emang perlu juga tuch dicoba tarikan 33lbs .....

of course ....... Taufik has a sponsorship, practice everyday so he used to .... but, maybe will try later 33lbs tension ....

10. milolo

milolo Regular Member

hi there,
    i just found out fr my new stringer that he normally strings the tension a 4 to 5 lbs difference. i asked him isn't 2 lbs the normal difference and the reason given is 2 lbs may give the racket head a rounded shape. 4 lbs gives more 'power' to have a oval or pointed shape.
    he strings my AR500 22/26.
    i just use this stringer who my friend recommended.
    my previous stringer always have a 2 lbs difference.
    any comments?

11. Harry1001

Harry1001 New Member

Student
    I have my yonex armortec 900 power at 26lbs.

Alternativley i know someone who had his strung at 33lbs. Thats not a typo 33lbs! He broke four strings later on...

12. Eddex

Eddex Regular Member

Student, Musical Director, devoted badmy player ^^
    For most people 22 is the ideal tension, but either 23 or 21 its still ideal, but if u want a more powerful smash, try 25 or 24.

13. FlashGordy

FlashGordy Regular Member

Student
    I had my At800 Off at 24, and after deciding to change am having 2 900Powers at 26. I prefer higher tensions, but then I suppose I already have the power developed.

When younger, I got stringers to recommend tensions for me. This led to erratic stringing (some between 19 and 24), so when I started playing more seriously I got my coach to string them, and suggested something to the high end of the recommended tension. Since then it's just been a case of "fiddling" with it.

Gordon

14. ayanpatwick

ayanpatwick Regular Member

can I ask something? does accuracy has something to do with the string tension?

I wasn't able to perform a baseline clear effectively when my string tension is in 26, so is it recommended to lower my tension, let's say, 23 in order to be effective in clears? The string that I used on that time was the bg 65, I'm planning to restring my racket with bg80 this week.

let's say if my ideal tension is 23, would I ask the stringer to string my racket at 25 so that in the long run, the tension would fall and be permanent at 23?

15. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    The string tension will keep falling, but not as fast after the first few weeks. I'd suggest the drop in tension so your racquet will be a bit more forgiving, and I also suggest that you check with a coach to hopefully improve your technique; it's never too early (or late) to learn the right technique :).

16. shaoyut

shaoyut Regular Member

25 because just 1 above the normal one for a but more power

17. volcom

volcom Regular Member

I am going to test out 27-28lb tension tomorrow :cool:

18. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

I like twenty two.

19. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Forgot to add... this for NBG95 :'(.... really want NBG98!!

20. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Ok after playing a while with my Armortec 900P strung with Nanogy 95 at 28lbs, everything seems to have fallen perfectly into place!!!!!

Everything is so much superior than it was when it was strung at 25lbs... My shots are so much more accurate and with much more precision and control, drives have that extra boom and clears are more effortless?!
    Also dropshots for me are so much more sharper and faster, not to mention I have much more control and feeling at the net now.... it's superb!!

Lastly the smashes, are much much much more powerful, sharp it's not a joke!! Strung at this tension my smashes have become much more beastly than ever before... Finally I'm smashing the daylights out of my opponents instead of relying on many other factors to get into the precise position of a power smash... Even then, before my smashes could be returned a lot of the times... but
    Now I can just smash basically from anywhere with awesome accuracy and power... amazing stuff, I also feel no soreness or fatigue at all on my shoulders and arm even after 3 hours of strenuous and continuous play.

I love it, after I really get used to this I'm gonna try out 30lbs to continue the search of finding the perfect tension for me!