Interesting Chinese media article

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2008' started by ms142, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Dont hold grudges if you cant compete fairly with CHN team. They have the luxury to "manipulate" the number of entries for CHN, and that's because the rest of the world cannot match them in all departments, esp MS. :eek:

If our LCW, Yoyo and WCH are top 4 in the world, do you think BAM wont do as what LYB is practising now? C'on, it's the MEDALS that count, not ethical or sportmanship. In 10-20yrs down the road, we ONLY remember the winners, NOT those "sportmanship" players. :rolleyes:

2. yen_saw

yen_saw Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree, i am not on anyone's side. I would do the same too if i am the coach, it is a dog eat dog world out here and only the non-competant lose. I am just refering to what other people were stated here. It is all depends on what you think best fit the situation. I would be a fool not to manipulate the system if it is not against the rule.

3. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

It seems to be a waste of time :cool:

Have you found the BWF's position? Maybe we can help you to understand if you don't mind to share with us ;)

4. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

You act as if he's only ever won the three (or whatever) tournaments you mentioned...? He's done perfectly well in other tournaments. Definitely not nearly as well as Lin Dan has, but I don't think that you can say he ONLY does well in "fixed tournaments" (not getting into that).

Ahhh, well yeah, I couldn't exactly read it myself, so all I had to go on was the English summary posted! Sorry!

#84 phaarix, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

This sounds worse than what ms142 summarised.( Why don't you just post the article here?)
    Question is: Why would CHN, with its seeming domination, need to take advantage? Lack of confidence in its players?

6. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I really don't agree... And it's not exactly "me" competing with the China team :D. I'm from New Zealand... New Zealand simply does not "compete" in high level tournaments (unless you count our one-off bronze at WC...). So I don't feel I'm biased by country in the slightest. The point is they SHOULDN'T have the luxury. Bending the rules (if there's not a rule against it, there should be...) and manipulating results, in some ways spoiling a tournament is totally unethical and personally I DO respect the players with the best attitudes (don't misread - I'm not getting at Chinese player's attitudes here) and I'm sure will personally remember them just as much as the winners...

Though now I think about it I'm not sure I understand your post completely. Are you defending China's tactics? Or are you simply asking people not to hold a grudge? Because I don't see how anyone even remotely interested in badminton's future could defend this disgraceful tactic...

#86 phaarix, Mar 18, 2008
  7. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Dont get me wrong, I will NEVER EVER respect a person like LYB but I do understand that he will do EVERYTHING WITHIN HIS POWER to win as many GOLDs for CHN as possible. That's his top priority, isnt it? Ask Misbun or Rexy, what would they do if Msia have at three MS or MD in top4 now, what will he do? In sports, it's all about WINNINGs/MEDALs, and they (coaches, players, etc...) will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to achieve that goal.

I am a BIG Msia BOLEH fan :D and I'd hold grudges whenever our LCW or MD lost but I dont blame LYB's dirty tactics for match fixings. I only hope one day LCW will beat three of them enroute to win the OG GOLD (wishful thinking? :D)

Actually, we should learn from LYB on how to exploit "systems" without breaking the rules/laws. I'm truly learning it now... :)

Msia Boleh!!! LCW Boleh!!! :p:D

8. markham player

markham player Regular Member

medical
    Between national pride & sportmanship, LYB chooses the former, very realistic. Humanity is his last concern I think & every team members are "disposable", including LD if he is not productive comparatively.
    This summer, his team has to capture at least 3 golds in Beijing otherwise his "butt" will be off the chair of head coach. Politics are dirty everywhere & China is no exception.
    Therefore, if I were him, I think I would do the same too even though I don't like him at all. Nothing will be changed.
    To eliminate this kind of "bull-****", qualifying spots should be increased accordingly so that enough spots can be allocated to each country or region otherwise this kind of bull will be going on forever & this kind of argumentative discussions will be continued every 4 years.

9. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The question is: how many is enough? And who's to decide what's enough :cool:

China was also well-known for fixing matches in Table-Tennis practice.
    However, that practice seemed to have been abandoned ever since there's a past incident which was highlighted...(maybe fans from China know more about these things). Right now, matches involving Chinese players in TT are hard-fought and sometimes, the favorites may end up losing too :eek: Again, correct me if I am wrong here.

2 direct entries per countries for players in the top 30 I think and other entries have to be gained through qualification tourneys. This is the first step that badminton should follow, for Olympics qualification.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    dog eat dog IS NOT allowed in china, that would a waste of food:p:cool:

11. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I think two entries for each category should be enforced. If this is the case, LYB has no motivation to match-fix. Well, it's once in every four yrs and this yr is crucial than others :eek:

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    do u whines about rich people too? They r so rich, why do they need to keep on making more money:rolleyes: Go tell them they lack confidence too:p

#92 cooler, Mar 18, 2008
  13. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

What kind of "national pride" would China gain through medals obtained with the help of match-fixing? Did Koreans gain "national pride" through medals won with the help of biased line judges? :confused::confused::confused:

LYB is choosing his own career over sportsmanship. No "national pride" in this equation here.

14. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Well, if the rich people make more money through illegal or "gray" ways (for example, bribe the government officials), people should "whine" about it.

15. yen_saw

yen_saw Regular Member

Engineer
    Only a fool will not trying to maximize the number of players allow in the Olympic games. It has nothing to do with the confidence level of the player. Any country would like to put three players in each event if possible, the question is, are they capable of doing it? Even a country has three players in top four position, i am sure they will try to make it as top 4 so they have more alternative to fielding which player. You can look at it as taking advantage, but for chinese team it appear to be a strategy and also an opportunity to field more players, thus better chances of getting gold medal.

I wasn't summarize the article, i was only giving my opinion after reading that article.

16. yen_saw

yen_saw Regular Member

Engineer
    It could be worst:p

17. yen_saw

yen_saw Regular Member

Engineer
    "National pride" is defined by the number of gold that country is capable of accumulating. I have mentioned it before (at least the second time) that it is all depend on how you look at it. It could be a strategy or unethical approach towards your goal. As for me, it is not against the rule unless BWF seriously looking at setting it a rule. Now when an athelete is tested positive for steroids on 100m dash for example, now that is what I called a breach in your National pride, which is when you broke the law.

#97 yen_saw, Mar 18, 2008
  18. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

There is an official definition of "national pride"? I don't think so, and I disagree with your "definition". :mad:

Your definition is also against the traditional value system of Chinese culture.

#98 ye333, Mar 18, 2008
  19. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I'm glad I added that last bit then. I've done that so much before... written out a whole post only to decide not to click submit in case I missed the point :D. Well I unfortunately can't honestly say I've never exploited anything myself :p.

20. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    This should directed to Birdwood. Or if I can ask Birdwood, what is your stand in this issues ? Do you think we are wasting our time ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.