It's time for Misbun Sidek to work for Malaysian Badminton without BAM

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Jan 7, 2011.

1. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Agree with U... it's really not easy to find a hidden gem among the rocks... LCW is a rare gem...

If I'm not mistaken, LYB's son just won the aged group men doubles in local tourney... quite a promising youngster... may follow his dad's footstep to be a world champion one day...

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

LCW still can survive even without Misbun la..:D LOL

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Li Gen ? No kidding!

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Lee Chong Wei declaring that he had grown comfortable training without Misbun

Yes, I too am quite surprised with the change of events/happenings (as reported by the news media); especially when I read this article;

#744 chris-ccc, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Doesn't mean we can forget that Teh Siu Bok was always Misbun's understudy. Perhaps Rashid has

some input recently.However he is disliked he was the key in putting Msia in the Thomas Cup semis in 1988 and finals in 1992.MS has done his share on LCW and there are other challenges such as building up a new team and not depending on one person.

Let's hope that we dont harp too much on coaches who are doing their job, otherwise in future next time someone here makes a great achievement,all who contributed such as his elementary school teacher,high school teacher ,University lecturer or professor will also be eligible for Datukships.

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Actually some time back Misbun did mention that the back-up muskeeters(now elite) could not last under his tough training. Rashid one time said they could not last thru the 1.5 hours of training, by 1 hr, huff puff. And that's under Rashid's 'lighter' prog.
    Only those who could like CKB continued to train under Misbun. Oops, CKB also was chased out of training hall by Misbun once

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The Star Online > Sports
    Tuesday April 19, 2011
    Hendrawan hopes BAM will stop tinkering with his squad
    KUALA LUMPUR: National singles back-up coach Hendrawan follows instructions given to him by the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) without causing any uproar.
    But the soft-spoken Indonesian hopes that the BAM will stop making too many changes as they will disrupt his long-term plan for the players under his charge.
    On Saturday, the BAM coaching and training committee decided that Misbun Sidek would be tasked to coach some of the back-up players instead of resuming duties to guide world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei.
    Hendrawan’s nine-member squad will be split into two groups and Misbun will coach one of them.
    This will be the third time that Hendrawan sees changes in his group since he was hired by the BAM two years ago. And on each occasion, he had to make changes and set new targets for the players.
    Hendrawan, who was back in Indonesia to attend to personal matters when the decision was made on the changes, said that he had no objection to it and would work hand-in-hand with Misbun.
    But he hoped that this would be the last change.
    “I am tasked to build a solid team to win honours at the 2014 Asian Games and 2016 Olympics but the players under my charge keep changing. It does make me tense. Hopefully, there will be no more changes,” said Hendrawan.
    “I have nothing against the BAM decision and have a good working relationship with Misbun. I will wait for the BAM to finalise the players for us before making any further comment.”
    Currently, the players under Hendrawan’s charge are Goh Soon Huat, Mohd Arif Abdul Latif, Lim Fang Yang, Loh Wei Sheng, Misbun Ramdan Misbun, Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin, Kuan Kam Chung, Mohd Syawal Mohd Ismail and Tew Gee Chong.
    Ramdan, who is Misbun’s son, is certain to move to the new group.
    Ramdan and Iskandar had mixed responses over Misbun’s return as a coach in the national set-up.
    Ramdan said after a training session at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara: “I have followed Hendrawan’s training for the last four months and I have learnt a lot.
    But I will be very happy to train under my father and I am looking forward to it.”
    Asian Junior runner-up Iskandar said that he would keep on training with full commitment under the charge of Hendrawan or Misbun.
    “Both of them are good coaches and they have produced world-class players,” he said.
    “I am a youngster eager to learn to become a top player. I am open to any decision. It all depends on the mentality of the player.”

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2011/4/19/sports/8507263.asp&sec=sports

Since Hendrawan is named in the ...equation..

8. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

thread 746 :
    Isn't this where player's KPI come in? If the player continues to underperform

and it can be narrowed down to his lack of training he should be matured enough to understand his own shortcomings.

Not all coaches ought to behave like oldtime headmasters , looking over their shoulders and caning them when they slacken.

Coaches may give a set of instructions to follow but if they are too lazy to carry them out and it leads to their failure, they alone should answer for it in their KPI.

But players not understanding tactics and game plans are something else!

in the workplace the manager cannot be looking over the shoulders of every worker, there are manuals,instructions etc for the worker to follow

and if they dont follow they will be sacked! but it is an altogether different issue when the manager doesn't know his job and give bad guidelines to the workers and they follow diligently and the process fails.

Working hard is essential but it must also be backed up by working smart.Too much emphasis on quantity at the expense of quality may not always work, depends on the players though.

#748 Bbn, Apr 19, 2011
  9. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Which leads to the role of a Performance coach, to evaluate and study in detail

each coaches training methods and measures charges' performance and then decide independently

shortfalls in coaching strategies and then assign players to a corre t coach to rectify.

Without all these monitoring and facts and figures each coach will be arguing till the cows come home, an independent evaluator will

be able to identify and decide on remedial actions required. Of course all these have to be done professionally and objectively.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

To me, KPI measures quantity; and quality is difficult to be measured by it

Regarding monitoring by an independent evaluator, I will have to say that he/she will do it subjectively. If done objectively, we need to only record their statistical results, and there is no need for an independent evaluator.

Yes, I have been involved in this type of statistical analysis for my departmental staff before (when I headed my department as the manager). IMHO, it's a waste of time, checking on things like;

* How fast they can type
    * How many documents they can process in an hour
    * How much time they spend on the phone
    * etc, etc, ......

The bottom line is really based on the quality of their work and how they functioned well to solve problems. So, back to Badminton, it's not how much load (of work) a player is capable to perform, but the quality (of work) that a player manages to achieve.

To me, KPI measures quantity; Quality is difficult to be measured by it.

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Errrr, Chris, KPI does not necessarily have to be associated with quantifiable values. In the case of badminton players for example, one of the key indicators could be the ability to perform consistently under pressure. The pressure could be psychological (a stronger or more prpared opponent, the scores in the opponent's favour, the history of earlier encounters in the opponent's favour etc) and the indicator could well be how the player performs.

Does his game go all to hell? Does he fall apart? Does he attempt to raise his game? Can he maintain his composure? How has he performed under similar conditions over the past 12 or 24 months? Is there a trend that can be graphed?

This information can be used to make assessments of strengths and weaknesses, and the coaching and support staff can then work out a strategy to rectify or change any areas of weakness.

We all use KPI is some way or other in our daily lives. The danger of promoting KPI and other supposedly "corporate gimmicks" is that the implementation or approach can be very easily flawed, or over-dependant, or conveniently skewed (remember Disraeli's famous quote about lies, damned lies and statistics? :D) or mis-represented, or just badly designed. All these are very real possibilities, and they are responsible for unfavourable or inconsistent results.

My personal opinion is that adopting corporate attitudes in a structure like BAM is counter-productive, because there is very apparently too much vested interest from various groups. Any sterile policy will be hijacked under such circumstances, before you can make a telephone call for help. :D Eventually, it is also about accountability and responsibility. It is about stepping up to the plate and taking ownership of actions and results.

I have many other thoughts and opinions on this subject, but I also recognize that a lot if it is futile because eventually, people will only believe what they want to believe. So why waste my time?

12. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

To Chris :
    KPI does not only measure quantity it can also measure quality.Your personal experience is based on measuring quantity.You probably have not experienced other types using scaling such as good,average, poor etc.etc.
    Data feedback is used in operations and engineering to make decisions ,it is not talking about KPI, it is about using facts and figures to help decision makers to make the best decision for eg. whether enough hours are assigned to certain tasks eg. not enough hours on physical training, too much in gym. Repeat, it is not all about KPI paranoia, it is an operations and engineering concept used in industries to make comparisons so as to make decisions. Other names they go by are : Operations Research,
    Decision Science, Quantitative Techniques,Operations Management etc. They are probably found in Wiki too and can be used to enhance the performance of many operations and make decisions and choices. .There is probably a course in Melbourne U dedicated to it.

#752 Bbn, Apr 19, 2011
  13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_research

Here's a link, another name it goes by is Management Science. It can cover things like Optimising how many players to a coach,
    scheduling of events etc.etc. and is an on going developing science. It does not make decisions, it provides feedback to help make decisions,
    it is not about KPI statistics,that is something else.All managers use it to some extent to help in decision making and may be done with computer modeling.Not popular though with people uncomfortable with mathematics.Probably used a lot in football .It is not rocket science but woe to this world if not for this area of knowledge.

This is not a personal attack on anyone,(I dont resort to such), it is up to readers to decide on the credibility of posters eg. the quality of the information posted instead of the quantity.

#753 Bbn, Apr 19, 2011
  14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Does this mention anything about KPIs? It is about optimising training methods and resources.

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

this is also talking about enhancing operations and not about KPIs. I think there is some kind of paranoia here and people with TUNNEL VISION are unable to think out of the box.I think MS can understand it already.
    Phew,this exhausting!I have to take a long break.

#755 Bbn, Apr 19, 2011
  16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

KPI as used here is a tool used to evaluate the performance of an individual eg whether targets are made at the end of a certain period.

It is probably a Corporate tool.

Operations Management or Engineering however is not KPI ,it is using feedback and data to optimise processes for better value and to solve problems eg.bottlenecks. It is interactive, requires the participation of the facilitator and at the end of the day if the system fails, it is mainly the designer who is responsible not the participants who work along the system.

A performance coach needs all these data to establish which area needs remedial action or re-assignment of resources to enhance performance, that is called COORDINATION. A performance coach who can only perform KPIs and cannot improve a system should be re-assigned as a human resource executive.

Loh can probably explain better by cutting the jargon and use badminton terms to illustrate the principles.

This is as far as I go, and the best I can do, for Chris's benefit, I wont respond to further baiting from the trolls .

#756 Bbn, Apr 19, 2011
  17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Adopting corporate attitudes in a structure like BAM is counter-productive

For me, the Key Performance Indicators are quantifiable measurements. Even when you talk about "the ability to perform consistently under pressure", we still need to attach a number to it to give some measurement, for example;

* 10 points = Never say die attitude.
    * 5 points = Average fighting spirit.
    * 1 point = Giving up easily when under pressure.

And I agree with your view that "...... adopting corporate attitudes in a structure like BAM is counter-productive, because there is very apparently too much vested interest from various groups".

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Look at the statement above.

It is an example of Management science in action.

Say the chief coach has the info that R is only requiring 1 hr training,whilst M is providing 1.5 hours , does it mean that R is not performing in KPI whilst M is? What if both R & M's charges are not performing 1 or 2 hours is there sth else missing, not enough Gym, not enough tactics?
    With all these data a or several menus can be designed targeting minimum requirements for training,gym ,tactics etc. etc and monitored.
    They can even be modified to suit each trainee. It all requires feedback and data from coaches so that the coordinator can identify problems and suggest remedies.
    I am sure it can be useful to coaches (not schoolboy armchair critics). it is a way of using feedback and data to create solutions and solve problems in many facets of life.
    KPI though is another matter, if the system is not properly coordinated then the chief bears the brunt of the KPI because he may be incompetent.

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

When a KPI study is used on machines/equipment, the results are usually correct

Well, I have commented on this matter in Post #757.

I have experienced different types of KPI analysis on people before. :):):)

IMHO, it can produce wrong conclusions when studying people. However, when a KPI study is used on machines/equipment, the results are usually correct. But people are not machines. :D:D:D

Tell you how some people could react (opposite effects) when a KPI study is placed on them. I shall simplify into 2 categories;

(1) Some will perform better - They know they are being watch. They love the attention they get.
    (2) Some will get nervous and worry sets in - When they worry, their work rate always go downhill.

In my coaching approach, I would rather give encouragement and confidence to my trainees. Forget about the KPI; because I do not want my trainees to be in fear of Category (2).

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Well since you are talking about KPI and not Om or DC, I dont like KPI either.

But I think it is for want of sth better otherwise people can abuse rewards and promotions like using blood relations

to influence the boss like those James Bond girls.

In my opinion people who follow the KPI strictly are morons, it is at best a guiding tool for want of a better or more reliable one, and most

of all must be continuously improved to iron out flaws and loopholes. If one works blindly to fit KPIs most organisations will be paralysed.

KPIs are probably used by HR for certain minimum evaluations, in the final analysis smart organisations will allow the immediate superior to override the flaws of the KPI. The ends justify the means, KPI reflects only one visible area of the means.