Things you hate about badminton!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wizbit, Dec 14, 2002.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

O I thought it was because you have netball :p. On "the continent" it is much more popular :cool:.

2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    now I hate the multi purpose room (the room is for badminton or soccer)
    I ALWAYS hate those lights because I cannot see the bird, and it also hurt my eyes
    they use not only one, but freakin THREE lights as one (which means I absolutely have no idea where is the bird since those 3 lights cover large area)
    but what can I say, that's the closest gym in my area, if not I need to commute using train to "proper" badminton court

3. baddynewbie

baddynewbie Regular Member

Student
    this is what I don't like about some people, just because they don't like other sports, they say it's crap -_-;;

4. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    hahaha..make it easier then...every sport is crap then..... lol.....make us sweat like nobody's business even if we are not playing !!!!

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Things I hate about Badminton:

1. When I play doubles with a weaker partner and the opponents only play to him.
    2. People who pretend to not care/don't try and then lose.
    3. People who mishit the shuttle repeatedly and trash all new (feather) shuttles.
    4. People who talk big while playing a game.

6. ronaldindin

ronaldindin Regular Member

I hate those double players that do flick serve. They're good to go if there's no line judge

7. paulierand

paulierand Regular Member

1. i really hate cheating at the line.
    You clear. It hits the back line. It's obviously in. There's this one guy who ALWAYS calls it out. It's blatantly cheating. Or a doubles flick or high serve and it hits the line or even is in, he calls out.

2. i hate that in a mixed game, men are expected not to smash on the woman. what if women are prevented from using their strongest shot, a net drop? it doesn't work the other way around...

3. holding back your frustration with your partner when they make mistakes in a game.

8. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Errr. Flick serves are perfectly legal in a game of doubles, provided the shuttle is struck below the waist. I guess you mean you hate people who flick serve/ serve illegally and there being no service judge? My main problem is with illegal drive serves rather than illegal flick serves. Where the shuttle starts off at hip height then they move the shuttle and racket up just before serving and hit it somewhere near their face. There is someone at my club who does this all the time and a few local league players do it as well. Trying to tell them otherwise is difficult.

Although I hate flick serves too, because I'm useless at covering them :p

Smashing at/ towards the women is a common strategy in local league mixed doubles in the UK where the women usually has the weaker defence. In fact I get moaned at by my mixed partner for not doing this. I guess it depends though. If you are playing socially I know it is sometimes frowned upon.

9. paulierand

No, i mean after i serve a flick and it lands in there is a player i play with who ALWAYS calls it out if it is close. I'm not saying i hate flick serves (although i prefer short..)
    I'm saying I hate ppl who cheat and call it out when its in. Because we let the opponent make the call in our games.

10. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    I was referring to the previous poster, who said he hated people who flick serve. I agree those who call shots that are miles in as out are exceptionally annoying. We let the opponent make the call in our games as well. This can lead to some confrontations especially with older players playing younger players. The older players seem to never hit a shot out (as the younger players abide by the rules and call fairly) while anything the younger players hit near the lines is always out.

My favourite solution to this problem was when a junior pair just started hitting it at or into the body of the older players all the time. They couldn't call it out then :p Although the older pair really weren't impressed but everyone around thought they thoroughly deserved it.

11. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I hear you. This sort of thing is rampant here in Vancouver. If you don't see the shuttle land you can't call it out. If you need more than a split second to decide, it's in. If you have to look up at your opponent and half ask "Out?" it's in. If it hits the line, it's in. The person on the receiving end of the shot makes the call, do not call the shot for him, wait until he has made his call then you can argue if you disagree.

I don't have this problem, don't get mad at me if I hit you, yell at your idiot partner for lifting to me. What about someone smashing at my partner? Chances are I lifted to you because I want my partner to learn a lesson about proper defensive positioning.

We're supposed to hold back our frustration? Ooops.

12. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I was too busy laughing at a badminton player trying to tell me that Basketball is unpopular to notice anything else he had to say.

13. user777

user777 Regular Member

How about people bringing in whole tube of birds when each person should bring one bird to court? I have seen couple of guys do that and it annoy the heck out of me.
    They are in the group as well and most of us uses aeroplane black. So we won't use up all the birds unless we play third game or weather is really dry or whatever.
    Obviously he doesn't want to use his birds. Sometimes, he even take the good used birds.
    Other people in the group are older people with money so they don't seem to mind about it.
    Anybody seen people like that before and how do you handle it?
    I was thinking of bringing in crappy bird and kill all the birds with my big smash to make him cough up his bird. But, I would get tired in 1-2 games.

14. paulierand

For me the cheating problem is still pretty big for me. Just last night I had an argument with a certain fellow I play with who loves to call every shot out. on the back and side lines.

This touches on an even bigger problem of controlling frustration: sports psychology. How to control your emotions on the court so you don't affect your doubles partner's performance/opponent's enjoyment and win/have fun. I try to relax and focus on the next point. And forget about the mistakes made on our side.

In terms of the birds we bring.. I don't usually bring an entire tube out because in the past I've lost whole tubes because i've forgotten them. I'll bring one or two and replentish that way. Nobody I know and play with will play an entire night and not bring out birdies. That is just a no no. If they bring out birdies consistently just one at a time, that's totally fine. I'd say if someone doesn't take out birds, I'd ask politely for them to or just not play with them.

15. Henzington

Henzington Regular Member

Student
    Things I hate about Badminton:
    - Shuttlecocks are expensive and playing rallies with birds that miss one feather is already a big deal for me. My club only gives us completely played off shuttlecocks and doesnt care replacing them.

- Doubles. In my experiences a double rally does not last more than 2 seconds. Most time is spent with serves. On low level, I compare doubles to minigolf.

- Trainers who teach people trickshots instead of working on footwork (happened last friday)

16. jen_legendary

jen_legendary Regular Member

I hate that badminton is overlooked. Even some top players struggle to find sponsors and make enough to a living. In tennis, players don't only get much more prize money, they also have people serving them from the littlest things (giving towers, drink, balls, etc...). Badminton players collect shuttlecocks themselves, swipe sweats with their hands and don't even have chairs to sit during break. I mean, if they want to improve a sport and take it to the next level, they should at least treat players the way they deserve to be.

17. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I hate people who don't spend a shuttle for a game and I have to say them "What about you? We need a now shuttle."
    I hate people who play a game, but don't have feathers. They should give me a few Euro, if I spend the shuttles for a whole game.
    I hate people with crappy feathers.
    I hate these guys who calls shots "out" or "in" which are the opposite to get points.
    I hate playing with weaker people who play every time the same crappy shot and don't learn from the consequences.
    I hate people who teach wrong technique, bad tactics and wrong footwork.
    I hate people who are talking big to weaker players but are talking small to better players.
    I hate stringers who string your racket at lower tension than requested. It's wasting of money.
    I hate people who thinks in doubles they are playing singles and must take every shot in bad position.
    I hate people who do permantly trickshots which won't work.
    I hate people who smash, but can't hit the shuttle downwards. It's a Smive. Power of Smash, but angle of a drive.

18. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    for the person who is being really cheap, i usually asked for a shuttle to stack up on the side of the court or let it rest on a handle of the net pole. with the good used shuttles, just tell him, "hey, i'm keeping that". most people would understand if you leave the shuttle standing on the feathers instead of just laying it on its sides. for the most part since i do play on a challenge court, most are experienced with etiquette of badminton and they even return the used shuttle back to me which means they remember who offered shuttles for the games :) the best way is to avoid playing with such people because in the end, you're the one being unhappy, and happiness is important.

^i actually think that it is one of the shots you must have so you give your attacking a variety?

19. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    When someone clears it back to you and you're confident you can hit it easily but you miss because of the light going into your eyes .-.

20. Sam Crow

Sam Crow Regular Member

Well, the three things that came to mind were points the OP raised in his/her initial post:

1) Asking someone to hit with me to warm up (particularly if I've showed up a bit later and the other player has already warmed up) and he immediately starts smashing and dropping on me, when I'm obviously trying to hit big, high clears to stretch out my muscles. How does you smashing on me help me get warmed up???

2) Players who shout and yell in the middle of a point. A couple of times after the point was over I've said to opposing players "Yelling like that in the middle of a point is a hindrance and I'm giving you a friendly warning that if you do it again, I'll call it on you." Sometimes I get an apology, sometimes a glare or denial and if the latter, it's usually game over from there on out because the sort of person who is so insensitive to other people or is actively yelling as gamesmanship tends to get thrown pretty badly by having a point or two called against him for poor sportsmanship.

3) Players who view winning as more important than making fair and accurate line calls.

Here's another one, sort of the reverse corrollary of the last one:

4) A partner who wants to be perceived as so fair he/she calls every shot near the line in favor of the opponent, even when I'm closer, had a better view of where the shot landed, and clearly saw that it was out. That's not good sportsmanship. Good sportsmanship is making the line calls accurately and only if there is doubt, calling it in the opponent's favor.

Here's one more:

5) The sport's lack of popularity in the U.S. having such an impact on equipment availablity. Unless one lives in CA near the Badminton Alley store (or makes trips to England or Asia), I don't believe there are any other stores in the U.S. that let one hold, swing, and even demo, a new racquet before buying it, like one can with a tennis racquet at many tennis pro shops, both local and online. I need to replace an older, long-out-of-production racquet from a minor manufacturer who no longer exports to the U.S. and have no idea what current model racquet to buy to replace it. Maybe I'll have to start pestering some other people in my league to see what they have and if they will let me try it out for a game.