Liew Daren

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by TheSmasherKing, Apr 21, 2011.

1. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Wed 12/1/2010 8:00 PMChina Open Super Series 2010MS Jin Chen [3][​IMG][CHN] - [​IMG][MAS] Wei Feng Chong 21-11 21-11[​IMG][​IMG]

India Grand Prix Gold 2008
    MS Chen Jin[​IMG][CHN] - [​IMG][MAS] Chong Wei Feng 23-25 21-12 16-21
    [​IMG]

I am not sure if it was right to open this thread. I do not doubt that LDarren has been working very hard for the past couple of months and deserve a thread for himself. But so far, most of the posts here are not very encouraging.

If I was daren I would not be too please to see someone label me as one who 'probably will never be a successful player' right at the second post of my thread. Follow by a few posts by OP and others who agree in unison that he would probably not go far in the future? How flattering was that!

Why bother opening a thread if you have no better thing to say?

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i think it was a desperate to find someone to pay attention for or get some chit chat
    as there is no any interesting issue recently:)

3. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

chill up bro...if you looked carefully,the thread starter thesmasherking is having high hope on Daren, so far he is fair
    and nice to Daren...so if you are sad with the comments by some party, direct to them....not a crime for the thread starter...
    and as always, I think is fair to have positive and negative comments on players as long as we dont go overboard...
    so far, I can see others giving a fair comment on Daren based on his current achievement...and hope he can perform better
    as age is catching up.....i trust all of us hope when the day came for him to hang-up his racquet....he will have something BIG
    to be proud of.....

btw, mind to elaborate m0re about the results of CWF that you posted??

4. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Daniel, appreciate your concern there. Apology if my previous sounds offensive to you.
    I posted CWF's results just to show that CWF too can achieve something remarkable if it was his day. Undeadshot was saying that no other backup players can achieve something significant, I think that is not true. At least CWF was able to defeat the then China's no 3 MS player(olympic bronze medalist) and also the reigning world champion.

I can accept negative comments which are more constructive in nature. You can say for example a player's technique or tactic need improvement. That's fair to me as those are things that can be changed or improved. But something like 'he is too late' to achieve anything big sounds more like a personal attack to me(that sounds like someone was condemning the player to fail for the rest of his life). Those are pre-judgements pass on to someone who did not even get enough chance to prove themselves. I sincerely feel that this lad we are talking about here was robbed of an opportunity to even try to make it big for himself. For that, I find that hard to accept. I do agree that the thread starter has been tactful most of the time, but I believe things can be said in a nicer way...But that is just my opinion, please disregard it if you disagree.

Like many of you guys here, I hope liew daren can make it big one day before he retires. Daren himself want it too, I am very sure of that. I am starting to believe that daren can handle the physical part of the game(stamina), so I think he can focus more on the tactic and mental part of his game. IMO, he will still need another few months to build up his game. I won't expect him to excel in the next few tournaments. But if he does, that's a bonus. Looking forward to see more of him.

5. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Liew Daren lost rather tamely to Chan Yan Kit. He is still struggling to find consistency. His high-risk playing style makes it tough for him to stabilize on the world stage.

But I still believe that he has the potential to defeat Taufik Hidayat next week.

6. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Yan Kit Chan (HK) beat Daren Liew (MAS): 25-23 21-12

He needs to start winning against these players... BOLEH?

7. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

LDR just the kind of player with low level of stamina (not taking in others yet)..........cant even last playing rubber games in one tournament, not to expect him to perform well in two consecutive tournament........He has to seriously ups his stamina or fitness level if he still wants to proves something in International arena !!

8. undeadshot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x-oMlcaXN0

[video=youtube;_x-oMlcaXN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x-oMlcaXN0[/video]

Liew Daren's playing style. Quite impressive but as I said pretty high-risk and error prone.

9. undeadshot

As expected, he is the last back-up player left in the tournament AGAIN :)... even though he defeated two team-mates to reach the third round... after the early exits of all the other back-up players to highly-ranked opponents...

And Liew Daren will face Lee Hyun-il tomorrow... I hope he can cause an upset to reach his first quarter-final of the year!

10. danielwong

Salesman
    is high time for Daren to do it...to beat LHI....., LHI is considered over the hill...so if Daren cant beat him, how can we expect him to beat current top players??

11. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

If he can't beat LHI at our own backyard, I can certainly say that he will NOT be the next LCW... LHI is a veteran player with vast experienced but not any younger... BOLEH?

12. undeadshot

He did well in the BAC, but fell rather tamely in the India Open and the Malaysia GP Gold. It's all left to LCW to take up the men singles challenge again.

13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    He is no Tonto to our Lone Ranger.
    Sad.

14. waja11

waja11 Regular Member

i do agreed that he did not perform well in mas gp gold,but i think we should also consider that this is his fourth tournament in a month including the KL open.i guess he must be feeling the strain of competing non stop.

15. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Hyun Il LEE (KOR) beat Daren LIEW (MAS): 21-14 21-12

This is quite disappointing... I expect a good fight from DL after a good run at India SS... :(

16. danielwong

Salesman
    Wednesday June 1, 2011

The Star

Under-fire Daren eyes breakthrough in Thailand Open GP Gold

KUALA LUMPUR: After constantly coming under fire for the lack of results on the big stage, national elite shuttler Liew Daren (pic) is hoping that a breakthrough will finally arrive in the Thailand Open GP Gold next week.
    And after playing in five tournaments this year, his best results were third round appearances in the Asia Championships (ABC) in April and in the Malaysia Open GP Gold last month.
    [​IMG]
    A slight consolation for 24-year-old Daren, who went on the international stage five years ago, was improvement on his world rankings to a career high at No. 64.
    “Although it is a sign of improvement, I’m still not satisfied because I know I can do better,” he said.
    “My target is to reach at least the quarter-finals in the Thailand Open. It is not entirely an easy draw and I really want to make the best of the opportunity.
    “Although there are many strong players in the field, I believe anyone is beatable and I just need to step up my game. I have been putting much effort into training even though I am still carrying an ankle injury and I hope it will pay off.”
    And there is even more for Daren to play for with a SEA Games spot at stake after Lee Chong Wei opted out of the team.
    With a host of other back-up shuttlers vying for places in the team for the regional Games in Indonesia in November, Daren is hoping that a good run of results, starting with the Thailand Open, will help him stake a strong claim for a spot.
    “I would love to play in the SEA Games and I need to take the chance presented to me in this tournament,” he said.
    The unseeded Daren will face Japanese youngster Riichi Takeshita in the first round. If he advances, he will have a match against either compatriot Mohd Arif Abdul Latif or eighth seed Rajiv Ouseph of England.
    The other Malaysians in the fray are Goh Soon Huat, Chong Wei Feng, Chan Kwong Beng and former national players Mohd Hafiz Hashim, Wong Choong Hann, Lok Chong Chieh and Beryno Wong.
    The field for the men’s singles is relatively strong with China’s Chen Jin and Wang Zhengming, Thailand’s Boonsak Ponsana, South Korea’s Park Sung-hwan and Shon Wan-ho in the mix.

17. undeadshot

First round meet Riichi Takeshita from Japan.

http://bwfcontent.tournamentsoftwar...BBDDC3D-39A9-40F7-BA5B-C2287DCC9B8C&player=66

Match overview
    Time Draw Score Duration Court
    Thu 3/31/2011 5:15 PM Mens Singles
    Rodrigo Pacheco Carrillo [9/16]
    -
    Riichi Takeshita
    12-21 11-21 0:28 NSEC - 1
    Fri 4/1/2011 2:30 PM Mens Singles
    Riichi Takeshita
    -
    Tjitte Weistra
    Walkover
    Fri 4/1/2011 5:45 PM Mens Singles
    Yun Hu [1]
    -
    Riichi Takeshita
    8-21 20-22 0:39 NSEC - 3
    Sat 4/2/2011 11:00 AM Mens Singles
    Riichi Takeshita
    -
    Jen Hao Hsu [9/16]
    21-12 21-12 0:32 NSEC - 1
    Sat 4/2/2011 8:15 PM Mens Singles
    Riichi Takeshita
    -
    Muhammad Hafiz Hashim [3/4]
    21-13 21-15 0:35 NSEC - 2
    Sun 4/3/2011 Mens Singles
    Riichi Takeshita
    -
    Wing Ki Wong [3/4]
    21-19 21-19 0:45 NSEC - 2

Although I have confidence on Daren to win, I think if there is a loss for Daren, I wouldn't be too surprised.

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

This is the time he should prove himself if he wants to be like LCW..;)

19. undeadshot

You saw a TV interview with him before :eek: I thought you said he fully recovered... now he say he injured again... injury prone :(

20. undeadshot

Disappointing 18-21; 13-21 loss to Riichi Takeshita... Riichi is pretty good as shown in the NZ Open but I expected Liew Daren to beat him.