Yonex VT80 - 4U vs 3U

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Naim.F.C, Apr 26, 2011.

1. khawcy

khawcy Regular Member

Operations Manager
    any reason you do not get used to the 4UG4 ? is it too light ?

2. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    I think so. More effort in every shot, especially smashing.

3. khawcy

khawcy Regular Member

Operations Manager
    what tension you are , at that time ? :confused:

4. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    My favourite tension of 26/28 #s, but with BG85.

5. khawcy

khawcy Regular Member

Operations Manager
    No wonder..it's pretty high tension u put. Most yonex 4u weight cant go well with that high tension . Stick with 3G and lower will be best for you.

6. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    I can try that. I've always restring the 3G every 2-3 weeks to keep the tension at about 28 #s, to maintain my play. This is the first time I've used a 4U. Maybe it's a "relativity" thing.

7. khawcy

khawcy Regular Member

Operations Manager
    you may want to try restring tension at 25-26 for the 4U if you still have your racket with you. i bet it will give you very different feel and play.

8. Kenneth Foo

Kenneth Foo New Member

Engineer
    Voltric is a head heavy racquet so naturally it requires certain strength for your arm and wrist to generate the designed power of the racquet (although it is 4U racquet), bear in mind that you might find even some 2U or 3U headlight racquets are much easier to use compare with VT80 4U. Paul (UK coach) did recommend player who using VT80 to practice his armchair exercise if they find VT80 is too stiff/heavy for them.

I have a VT80 4U and I feel it is good enough for double player, if you have really good wrist power and a single player then you can consider 3U. My friend has a VT80 Limited edition 3U and I find it is too heavy for double player or me (not sure if limited edition is naturally heavier than original version though).

It is very important to know your strength to choose a racquet that suit yourself, we commentators here don't know each other's level/strength or type of play so we only can see this as a guide. I been reading forums for sometime I've been struggling which racquets are suit me most and when I'm getting recognise more about my own strength I know I'm now more tendency to head heavy and even balance (stiff) racquet. I've a NS6600 which bought 2 yrs ago, as my arm/wrist strength getting stronger I find VT80 is quite suitable for me, however I never tried even balance racquets before and fortunately I have an apportunity to try a Arcsaber 10 this saturday to decide if head heavy or even balance racquet suit me more.

9. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Please keep us informed Ken in your opinions about arc 10.

10. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

One of the advanced girls in my club likes to use the 4U VT80. She says the 3U is too heavy for her.

I personally like the 3U VT80, but to be honest, there's not a big difference for me. I think one would only notice a difference if they are relatively weak. If you're strong enough, you won't notice much difference between 3U and 4U - you'd think they are both "light". However, a 3U could be 89.9g, and a 4U could be 80g - that difference could be quite noticeable. However, a 3U could also be 85g, and a 4U could be 84.9g. This difference of 0.1g would not be so noticeable.

So in the end, there are many factors. But at the end of the day, if you really want to improve, you should be looking at your racket technique, footwork, and fitness. Generally speaking, the actual specifications of the racket are almost negligible.

11. Kenneth Foo

Kenneth Foo New Member

Engineer
    In the last 1-2 weeks I have an apportunities to test the Arc 10PG, Arc Z Slash, and Arc 10 Premium 2012. I liked 10 Premium>10PG>Z Slash....

Although I feel 10 Premium can't generate power smash as VT80 does but I feel 10 premium is the best racquet for my single game as it is amazing in control, placement, drive and enough power for smash the shuttle down to oppenent's court where single game doesn't need power smash as double game does.

Although primary racquet for double would be my beloved VT80 but would love to give Arc10 premium a try for slightly easy double games :)

In summary, I loved ArcSaber 10 Premium 2012 and will get one when i go back to Malaysia in 2 weeks time :)

12. khawcy

khawcy Regular Member

Operations Manager
    String size ?

Any recommendation for the string size with VT80 doing at least 26 pound ? I am currently string it with BG66 at high tension - 27 pound. I still believed there are someone out there that string differently and give the best out from this racket. :)

13. issport

issport Regular Member

Sorry , what do you mean by the string size ?? Bg66 for 27 is good , but have you tried ultimax ? its more better than bg66 but not that tahan with high tension.

14. khawcy

khawcy Regular Member

Operations Manager
    I mean the diameter of the string . Ultimax from Yonex ? I will try next time .

15. issport

issport Regular Member

I see.. If you want last longer you should go for Bg65 . For raquet every string can support only depends of the string and what feel you want. Ussually for best playing string you can try Medium feeling. Hard feeling not that best for me . Im not sure how you feel about hard feeling .

16. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    really? i wonder if u can win me , lets use the old count of 15 points per game..i use 4ug5 vt80 and u use 3u whatever rackets u like. =D

17. khawcy

khawcy Regular Member

Operations Manager
    what's the dia for BG65 ?

18. issport

issport Regular Member

0.70mm and i forget to mention Bg66 Ti . It something like ultimax but it last longer than ultimax. But the repultion not that good if compare with ultimax.

19. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    string the racket with ultimax at 28lbs if u want the racket to chur out all its potential!
    i have triend all kinda string....however i will stick woth nbg98/ultimax! i m using 4ug5 vt80.
    it all depends on ur arm,if ur arm is strong enough,u can try bg80p/bg66ti

20. yatty

yatty Regular Member

I'll be moving from 3UG4 to 4UG4 shortly so I'll update with how I feel they compare. I always use the 3UG4 for single and swear by it, The main reason for the 4UG4 purchase is solely for double's use.