BWF to probe scuffles at South Korean Open

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by block306, Feb 2, 2008.

1. block306

block306 Regular Member

BWF to probe scuffles at South Korean Open
    (source: M'sia's The Star daily dated 3 Feb 08)

LONDON: The Badminton World Federation (BWF) will investigate scuffles that marred last week’s men’s singles final at the Korean Open and will consider introducing technologies used in tennis and cricket.
    Anne Smillie, chair of the BWF sport committee, has called for a full report and said that such incidents were happening too often.
    Last Sunday’s final of the Super Series event between China’s Lin Dan and eventual winner Lee Hyun-il of South Korea featured a number of line calls over-ruled by the umpire, which led to scuffles and heated exchanges.
    “All of this is damaging to the image of our sport and undermines confidence in the results,” Smillie said in a statement.
    “Players, coaches, technical officials and team officials at court side have a code of behaviour to follow. The game needs to be exciting and closely fought, but we all want to see the result determined by the players, not by courtside officials – or who can argue the loudest.”
    Smillie said that the BWF would look at other options to take the heat out of official decisions, including technologies used in tennis and cricket.
    The BWF deputy president, Datuk Punch Gunalan, said: “In this Olympic year, when badminton will be under the microscope in Beijing, the players need to be confident that the game is officiated professionally, while respecting the technical officials’ decisions.”
    The BWF will hold meetings at the next Super Series event, the All-England in Birmingham in March, where the issue of technology will be discussed.
    The sport committee are also talking to referees and umpires to look at the possibility of having independent umpires operating as line judges during major semi-finals and finals.
    World number one Lin Dan has refused to apologise for his part in the fracas in Seoul, which began when he threw his racquet in the direction of South Korea’s singles coach Li Mao, who is also Chinese.
    The throwing incident sparked off a shouting match between Lin Dan and Li Mao and play was momentarily halted as match officials struggled to restore order.
    Lin Dan’s coach Zhong Bo also intervened, pushing Li Mao, who shoved him back, and officials had to step in to separate them. – Reuters

2. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Another report from nst online..

Badminton: BWF considers technology to combat line calls

THE Badminton World Federation will investigate scuffles that marred last week's men's singles final at the Korea Open and will consider introducing technologies used in tennis and cricket.
    Anne Smillie, chair of the BWF sport committee, has called for a full report and said such incidents were happening too often.

Last Sunday's final of the Super Series event between China's Lin Dan and eventual winner Lee Hyun-Il of South Korea featured a number of line calls overruled by the umpire, which led to scuffles and heated exchanges.

"All of this is damaging to the image of our sport and undermines confidence in the results," Anne said in a statement.

"Players, coaches, technical officials and team officials at court side have a code of behaviour to follow.
    "The game needs to be exciting and closely fought, but we all want to see the result determined by the players, not by courtside officials - or who can argue the loudest."

She said the BWF would look at other options to take the heat out of official decisions, including technologies used in tennis and cricket.

BWF deputy president Datuk Punch Gunalan said: "In this Olympic year, when badminton will be under the microscope in Beijing, the players need to be confident that the game is officiated professionally, while respecting the technical officials' decisions."

The BWF will hold meetings at the next Super Series event, the All England Open in Birmingham in March, where the issue of technology will be discussed.

The sport committee is also talking to referees and umpires to look at the possibility of having independent umpires operating as line judges during major semi-finals and finals.

3. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I hope BWF is willing to use technologies to improve the quality of line calls and take some real actions to discipline any officials, players, and coaches who has bad behavior during the match.

4. markham player

markham player Regular Member

medical
    Well, they have no choice & they better do it fast before more damage is done! Time is running out!

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Badminton is now becoming an extremely passionate sport, and when mixed with a nationalistic tendency in some major Asian badminton countries, an create conditions that may get out of hand.

6. Eddex

Eddex Regular Member

Student, Musical Director, devoted badmy player ^^
    Finally! x.x we really need something like those cameras in tennis :p thatll be cool man!

They can even use the "snicko" (people in NZ and watched cricket shud know this :p) sound detection thingy used in international cricket (which tells you if the ball has been nicked and caught etc.) in badminton's point of view, it can tell if the shuttle has been struck/nicked before it goes out ^^ smart!

Badminton's getting technological!

7. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Anne Smillie, the chair of the BWF Sports Committee, was not mincing her words when she said "All of this is damaging to the image of our sport and undermines confidence in the results."

With that, LD can expect the worse from BWF if an apology is still not forthcoming. I hope he gives it some thought and understand the 'weight' of what he had done.

8. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Who to blame for "undermines confidence in the results"? I'm sure that Anne Smillie was not just talking about LD in MSF KO 08 :cool:

9. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

No, I did not say LD was the only one ANNE was talking about.:cool: But LD will be in the investigation.

10. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I agree. Maybe all parties, including biased linesmen, should issue apology. Did LM apologize (if he did, my apology for not following this closely) :confused:

11. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Yes I agree. A lot of apologies maybe forthcoming in this. My contention in all this is strictly on the behaviour of LD who should not have thrown the racket. I will not condone his behaviour.

12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Now only they're looking into it.... dunno how long some more before it's implemented... the technology part I mean...

13. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

Sense Of Urgency

Hopefully they (BWF) got high sense of urgency towards this problem which they lack of before,otherwise the song remain the same,unchanged melody..
    Biased-World-Forever..!!

14. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

Umpire to become line judge!

To me, include technology will certainly bring the game to a higher level in term of game popularity and of course the quality of game.
    As Beijing Olympic is just around the corner, Umpire to be a line judge is a temporary solution.. Why not?

15. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I don't think LM admitted that he said anything before LD threw the racket. So I don't think he will apologize.

16. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

17. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

That would be interesting to find out. According to interviews of LD, ZB, and the umpire, LM said something before LD threw the racket.

Interviews of LM (post #1), LD (post#6), and ZB (post #7):
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51838

Phone interview of the umpire (if it's correct):
    http://news.wenxuecity.com/messages/200801/news-gb2312-516590.html

-----

Thanks for the link below. It makes me feel Kor linesmen did the biased line call intentionally :eek:

18. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

How many times do I need to point out that the interview with the umpire has severe inconsistency with the videos? :mad:

This: 当时林丹向我走过来,示意我,刚才的球出界了。李矛和林丹离得很近,他好像先对林丹说了什么,然后林丹非常生气,二人争执起来。is simply not what happened before the racket-throwing.

Therefore, so far "LM said something" before racket-throwing comes only from the LD side. It's credibility should be treated as the same as LYB's "Break his leg".

Btw, of course the line judges did those blatant bad calls intentionally. There is no doubt about that.

#18 ye333, Feb 3, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  19. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Shows are bias the cheating korean linesmen(women) are.
    At least it got overruled

20. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

that is amazing!
    :eek::eek:

stevie wonder would have called that out!