Doubles, Rearcourt - Drive or Clear?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by vinod81, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I tend to play the fast drop in this position. One of us will follow into the forecourt area to force the opponents to lift. I'll also mix it up the decision with some drives. So sometimes, really slow drops, faster flatter drops (so the opponent cannot play netshot reply) or change the pace and fake a slower shot but change it to a faster drive shot.

All for change of pace that can frequently produce errors or weaker shots from the opponents.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Dont forget the OP's situation that the opponents are in attacking side by side position biased to net and OP's pair is defensive biased to back. A block or drop to the net will be easily countered and attacked by the opponents who being closer to the net is ready to pounce.

Hence I agree with the drive to the weaker player or whichever one is more convenient. Sometimes if I know that person likes to rush the net, I would fake a soft block to the net and change it to an attacking clear. This is perhaps what the OP is referring to.

#22 visor, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think 'biased to the net' doesn't give enough information. I interpret this as meaning the players are still a few feet behind the service but not quite in the mid court area). If 'biased to the net' means 2 feet behind the service line, I would not play drops but would probably go for a lift to make the opponents move off the net.

Here, in this scenario, I feel I would be trying to outmanoevre the opponents rather than playing a winning shot.

4. betazone

betazone Regular Member

very interesting question, but seriously do you have time to assess the situation and react accordingly in a doubles match where the pace is so fast?

For me, I do a drop to the centre to confuse most of the time maybe 60% and 40% i do hard drive.

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    If your hand is strong enough, always move your smasher to the other side of the court. ;)

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol...and let your partner suffer?

7. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    Yes, I do find a higher percentage is forehand hard drives go into the net. Mostly because I am still in forehand grip - need to rotate out toward panhandle grip as shuttle is lower than smashing height.

8. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    We see Cai Yun block the half-lift and move forward to the net and let Fu Hai Fung rotate to back court. They do that because CY in the net and FHF at the back is their preferred formation. We don't see FHF block and run for the net (let CY rotate to the back). I mixing it up will prevent the opponent from sneaking up to the net (looking for the drop).