Strengths and weaknesses

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by venkatesh, Jul 13, 2009.

1. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    ..or maybe we should do it tourny by tourny. That why people would know why the players win or lose in that tourny.

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    No point in that, cause it's not like LCW gets better between Singapore open, and IO, or between AE and swiss open.

Yearly is good, unless it's like team china where the players disappear for a few months, come back improved.

3. 16FeathRPassioN

16FeathRPassioN Regular Member

Student
    Well as a learner , i would like to read how or in what period of time do they over come their weaknesses, cuz that's what would help lots of guys like me reading the thread.So people come up with some helping material instead of gossips.

P.S. No offence intended (at least don't ban me for this MODS,:p)

4. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student
    Hehe. Every 'amazing' improvement he/she made! I mean, if a player cannot do crosscourt smash before and now he/she is master on that, we must note it as strength. ^^

Must be fun if we make predict by write on these 'point', hehe. Ex: if the two player meet, we can write:
    TH vs LCW
    Backhand: 5 vs 4
    Forehand: 4 vs 5
    Movement: 3 vs 5
    Mental strength: 4 vs 4

Just my opinion, :D:D

5. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Great observation. After reading your review, I watched Lilyana and Vita's mixed doubles match. Indeed, Natsir's defense is surprising. Indeed, Marissa's smashes are usually returned to her. Goog job. I'd like to hear more from you. Most especially, your observation with Natsir and Marissa's male partners, Nova Widianto and Flandy Limpele. Thank you. :)

6. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Lyd

Lee Yong Dae
    Strengths --- Lee Yong Dae is known for his great anticipation, superb net skills, good placement, incredible court awareness, and fast movement. He is also very flexible, surprisingly reaching the shuttle far from him, which usually catches his opponent off guard. For such a young age, it seems like he has gained a lot of experience on court, even surpassing other experienced veterans in the men's doubles category. Don't be fooled by his innocent looks as this Olympic champ can be very lethal.

Weaknesses --- Although his defence is very effective, he sometimes overdo his placement that the shuttle gets caught up in the net. During flat exchanges, he usually intimidates his opponents by moving forward, therefore, getting tangled up with the speed of the shuttle. And in some attempts to be deceptive, Lee Yong Dae mishits the shuttle or makes a shot that leaves his partner vulnerable. His jump smash also looks awkward. (It may be effective, but it still looks awkward. :()

This is just my observation. Please don't get mad if you're a fan. Overall, he's a very gifted player. And being young that he is, Lee Yong Dae still has a lot of tournaments to win.

7. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student
    I believe many of you can add some about our Olympic Gold Medalist. :):)

Hendra Setiawan
    Strengths --- His calmness helped him in front of net. He can do VERY tight net shots and blocks, forcing his opponent sending another net shot that usually failed or getting punch by him, or sending it loose to back where Kido is ready to kill. His placement is very accurate even his defensive shot is controlled well. His ability to read his opponent shots is amazing. He is often changing his direction of shots between rallies, causing his opponent frustrate and wrong-footed.

Weakness --- Overdoing placement. I don’t know but lately, I think he is EASIER to make some silly mistakes.

Markis Kido

Strengths --- His jumping smash. With Setiawan in front of net, he will be a GIANT killer with this jumping smash. His ability to do it consecutively is remarkable. Lately, I think he is improving in front of net. His defensive shot is very good too. With his height, doing drive shots is becoming easier.

Weakness --- Getting nervous when facing some good defensive players. When his smash and faking drop shot doesn’t working, he looks very amateur and losing.

8. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student
    Ah, very thanks then. :). I m not really good writing English so plz forgive me if I can't explained it in the best description. :p;)

Flandy Limpele
    Strengths --- I didn’t see Limpele much. But I can say that Limpele has one of the best smash; power and placement. Helped by his height, he can do overhead crosscourt smash with amazing depth. When I see he played with Vita Marissa, he’s just becoming BIG brother for her. I think he is very reliable as partner. Ah ya, I think he is very good about controlling emotion. Very calm player.
    Weakness --- He is not young anymore. Playing with fast pace will put him under pressure much. Since most of his shots depend on his accuracy, he usually lost control when his stamina is drop.

Nova Widianto
    Strengths --- Until now, I cannot really see his very BEST shot. I mean, he is above average but not special. None of his shot can be trademark of him. His experience helped him through most of matches. I think he is okay with his shots. Sometimes this can make he is very dangerous since his opponent didn’t really care about his shots.
    Weakness --- His poor service. Critical points will trouble him MUCH. His recovery is very slow (IMO), getting older doesn’t help him at all.

9. Athelete1234

Student
    I feel Nova has a strong backhand which lets him be a little lazier around court, but I find his smash is pretty average and isn't reliable to be doign a lot of damage.

10. samuello1994

samuello1994 Regular Member

haha yeah but i would leave taufik and lindan up. But who the f*** is wmc lol

11. Athelete1234

Student
    Umm... in the original post....there's somebody named Wong Mew Choo:rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. Hi no Samurai

Hi no Samurai Regular Member

Fu Haifeng = good offence, great smashes, but poor on defence

i watched that he's the one who were being targeted by his opponents

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

agree with you. He needs to improve more on his defence especially when he change his gripping that time to defence.

14. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    front court improvement

Just wait. As you can observe, he has tremendously improved in his front court play. He's just taking it one step at a time. If he improves in his defense, whoa, the Cai-Fu tandem would be unstoppable.

15. george@chongwei

yep, that's what's the chinese word term feng-yun applies:cool:

16. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Should note that at the same time his smashes are getting weaker.

Is he a more complete player now? I think yes. Is he more effective (in getting points) than before? I think no.

17. Athelete1234

Student
    He varies his backcourt play more (more drops). I dont' really think his smashing is much weaker, though it still lacks good placement. If he had the angles and frontcourt play of Cai Yun, he'd be unstoppable.

18. jon_91

jon_91 Regular Member

Student
    This is some of my vie and comments.

Koo Kien Keat-
    Strength -->He is said to be one of the best net player in MD. His net play is so incredible that even Lee Yong Dae can compete with him. His dummy shots are so incredible and really felt "dumb" in front of the net. His movement is fluent.He can also be a base player He is also can be a good Mixed double player with all his variation in MD.

Weaknesses --> He sometimes overdid his net shot and make people call him arrogant. In tremendous pressure, we can play as an amatuer which will have his partner to cover him. His defensive play sometime good sometimes bad. He will act too "confident" in front of the crowd and players.

Tan Boon Heong-
    Strength --> During the two years since winning AE07, his game has improved a lot. His smashing power has increased, with much power and angle. He can play incredible angle smash on his opponent. His net play has also improved.

Weaknesses --> He tend to crack in pressure. His defensive shots and defence are not that awesome. He will lost his touch when opponent keep on smashing. He tend to do a lot of mistakes when pressure and expectation are on him and KKK.

If they play with their true self, they can be a world beater and they will all tbe scared of the two of them.

19. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    May I add that TBH also lacks aggressiveness.

20. george@chongwei

but i can see he's improving in this aspect. with his sharpness in front of the net and smashing angle:cool: