[video] improve overall technique/tactics

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by alex292, Jan 6, 2013.

1. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    @alex,
    You often get of balance while doing a stroke, and your stroke are often larger than necessary. Try to learn and use more compact strokes (using wrist, finger power, forearm rotation etc..). So you have a lower tendency to make mistakes, you do not get off balance from the strokes, your strokes need less preparation and so u are able to keep pace with even faster rally.

@Gerald
    I have the same problem, i cant think in doubles its too fast for me and I am often surprised from strokes my partner do etc..

I can think when my partner is far worse or better than me, then i try to place my shots so that the opponents returns get to me or respectively to my partner with a higher possibility.
    The same is when one of my opponents is worse than the other...

In singles I can think all the time and build up my rally, well at last as long I am able to dictate the pace.

But in even double games i have no idea to build up a strategy so i just react and attack when possible. Can you explain how you think in doubles?

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

no one has mentioned split drop yet - it should help your movement a lot if you improve on this area.

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

serve doesn't start until the forward swing has started so any foot movement before this is moot.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

5. gerald1994

gerald1994 Regular Member

Student
    Hmm generally speaking in doubles if you're young and energetic then most of the you should be attacking so nothing wrong there.But it's not just about attacking every shot that comes to you. What you need is coordination training with your partner, so that when you attack, for example a straight smash, your partner in front is ready for the drive shots while you get ready to follow up with another smash or drive.For me, what's really important is how I cover for my partner when he attacks so that we appear very deadly and fast because our opponents can't recover the shots easily.Lots of Chinese theories I've learnt from my coach but hmm.. Doesn't sound right in English LOL! For a start you could try a combination of hard smashes and point smashes along with occasional drop shots.And at the front, make sure to have your rackets raise up and try to intercept straight flat shots your opponent might give by standing slightly towards left or right, towards where the shuttles is at.

6. gerald1994

gerald1994 Regular Member

Student
    Hmm generally speaking in doubles if you're young and energetic then most of the you should be attacking so nothing wrong there.But it's not just about attacking every shot that comes to you. What you need is coordination training with your partner, so that when you attack, for example a straight smash, your partner in front is ready for the drive shots while you get ready to follow up with another smash or drive.For me, what's really important is how I cover for my partner when he attacks so that we appear very deadly and fast because our opponents can't recover the shots easily.Lots of Chinese theories I've learnt from my coach but hmm.. Doesn't sound right in English LOL! For a start you could try a combination of hard smashes and point smashes along with occasional drop shots.And at the front, make sure to have your rackets raise up and try to intercept straight flat shots your opponent might give by standing slightly towards left or right, towards where the shuttles is at.As you get better and comfortable with covering the court, that's when you would be able to easily explore other strategies with that speed foundation.So good luck practicing! :)Author of http://www.art-of-badminton.com/how-to-play-badminton.html

7. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

There are good players in Germany, especially in doubles... And why would he need to move to Malaysia to find better players when Denmark is just above? But obviously going to training camp in Malaysia would be beneficial for almost anyone...