BAM news

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by limsy, Mar 17, 2010.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

BAM President is also CEO/Chairman of Proton lah. He suffered a stroke late last year.

You mean BAM President or Ganga Rao ? Rumor has it(in malay press) that there were moves to try & replace the President, now he's sick.;)

But politics, politics, as usual :rolleyes:

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hehe
    let see how much victory can the chaos bring to malaysia camp:mad:
    stupid:mad:

3. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    I meant the secretary general P. Ganga Rao. If not mistaken, Datuk Nadjmi is a sweeper and Ganga is the trouble maker. Have you noticed the replacement for proton by Ing since the AE10. Rumour has it it was done without the approval of the president and proton is making noise now.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

4. TBHock

TBHock Regular Member

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Well.. thats BUM... opps BAM...

Now i which company will put their BIG logos on the shirt.. ING or PROTON..

7. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Well, guess it should be ING?

8. eaglehelang

Proton, please read Utusan Msia & Sin Chew a few days before this ;)

9. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Hehe, my family discourages Utusan Malaysia and I don't like to read mandarin. ;) Thanks for the info, though.

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hehe
    i dont want to touch politic
    but
    yeah
    it is dumb
    ops
    i mean bam

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Of course politics get in the way at BAM. But there is nothing wrong with politics if they are not politics from the government but only involve the management of BAM.
    Any sports association have to be involved in "politics" provided they are not of a governmental nature. Otherwise, you will be too dependent on the government for funds to run your association. When governments give out too much money they want to have a say, which means political interference.
    That is why sports associations will have to get a larger percent of their funds on their own with just a little from the government.
    Sponsorships is thus a major source. The man at the top should be given the sole responsibilty to secure such funding. Others in BAM are there to assist him or her. If the president of BAM were to delegate this important responsibilty to his subordinate then why elect him as a president?
    BTW, a secretary or a treasurer should have no business in soliciting funding, as it could lead to conflict of interest especially if the treasurer is involved.

12. eaglehelang

BAM resolves logo issue

2010/04/17

By K.M. Boopathy
    YESTERDAY'S announcement of Proton as the title sponsor of the Thomas and Uber Cup Finals at Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil on May 9-16 has effectively ended the wrangle between Proton Holdings Berhad and ING Insurance Berhad.

The BA of Malaysia (BAM) had replaced the logo of Proton on the front of the T-shirts worn by the national shuttlers with ING in February after the association struck a deal with the new sponsor.

Proton, which has been the Rakan Sukan (Partner in Sports) of BAM since 1995, then demanded that its logo be reinstated in the original position and yesterday's announcement in Shah Alam put a stop to the issue.

Proton Holdings group managing director Datuk Syed Zainal Abidin Syed Mohamed Tahir said the national car manufacturer is looking forward to a successful Thomas and Uber Cup campaign and also pledged support to BAM in the coming years.

"The matter (regarding the logo) has been resolved and that's why we are having our launch as the title sponsor of the Thomas and Uber Cup Finals.

"It is also a special occasion as we are also celebrating our 25th anniversary this year," said Syed Zainal.

"The opportunity to be the title sponsor of one of sport's most prestigious tournaments is a perfect branding exercise and we are honoured to be associated with world class players.

"Our support to badminton is an avenue for us to give back to the people and nation.

"We have so much confidence in the sport and believe that BAM has done a great job in elevating it to the international level."

The tournament website -- www.thomasuberkl2010.com -- was also launched while BAM received the official vehicles from Proton.

Organising committee chairman and BAM executive council member Datuk Al Amin Majid, who represented the association in the absence of president Datuk Nadzmi Salleh, did not elaborate on the ING issue and spoke more on the Thomas Cup preparations.

Al Amin said BAM is confident of staging another successful Thomas and Uber Cup Finals.

"As for the sponsorship issue, the matter has been resolved.

"As for the preparations, we are on target to host another successful event again," said Al Amin.

That, however, doesn't explain what will happen to the ING sponsorship, said to be worth almost RM2 million.

It is learnt the deal hasn't been signed and with Nadzmi having sacked secretary P. Ganga Rao on Monday, chances are it won't.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/articles/lk123e/Article/art_print

If future potential sponsor read the last 2 lines, maybe end up wouldnt sponsor, not with the embarassment ING encountered, not with Proton there at least.
    ING sponsorship supposed to be RM2 mil, Proton RM2.5 mil. I wonder if there's a rule that other sponsors cannot sponsor more than Proton for Proton for be main.

#32 eaglehelang, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Datuk NaZmi have to explain to his superiors in regards to the Sponsorship issue on why ING in the picture. Not that he opposes ING. Just that when Ganga secured the deal, in a way it did shows that somehow someone is not doing their duty. Being sponsored by Proton or ING is good. But at the end of the day BAM need money to support it's operation and player etc.. And being a sponsor or even person in Charge.. Payment like prize money and other operation costs must not delay. Someone have to bring the dollars in. I wouldn't say what Ganga did is wrong.. But not informing the president in a way is not appropiate. People inside BAM have their own agendas. They are not even working well as a team. The President also have many roles.. Being the Proton Chairman is also not an easy job. He also have to look after Protons interest in BAM as well.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I am surprised that BAM and ING has landed themselves in such a mess. Any sponsorship contract is always in writing that is legally binding, and lawyers of both sides must have combed through every word and their legal implications.
    Normally, only the chairman or the president has the executive power to sign major contracts. A secretary or a treasurer is never on the executive board with executive power. They are merely administrators to handle paper work and procedural matters for all the executive members, in particular the president or the chairman. That is why these two positions can be contracted out to accounting firms. On the other hand executive members are elected and are not hired from accounting firms.
    All these are usually found in the BAM constitutuon.
    ING should have found out who in particular in the BAM has the authority to sign or for that matter to begin negotiating any potential sponsorship deal. If a person in BAM, who is not so authorised to do so by its constitution, signs the deal then the deal is null and void. However, ING may have a case against the unauthorised person in BAM who signed the deal.
    I believe in the constitution of the BAM the president has the sole power to appoint or to fire its secretary. If so then there is no case.
    But then serious questions arise as to BAM's management. How did it allow such things to get out of hand? Why did ING not deal directly with the sole man who has the power to agree to any new sponsorship instead of working behind the scene?

15. eaglehelang

During the announcement of ING's sponsorship, there was a video of BAM President giving speech, saying got new sponsor is good,etc,etc. He knew about it, how much of the details I not sure, since he was unwell. They had BAM Committee meeting in the President's house.

In these sort of situations, it's not uncommon that the President appoint someone else to handle the discussions.
    In between the discussions, somehow rather it seems that it was not fully resolved(in writing) about the logo at front of player's shirt issue.

Then the President being also Proton CEO/Chairman, have to take care of Proton's interest in BAM. That's why I'm not surprised no foreign company is badminton main/one of main sponsor, there should have been interested parties since badminton is one of the more successful Msia sports

BAM has been cash strapped, they really needed additional sponsors but it does seem that they were too kan cheong abt new sponsor, went ahead too fast with the logo thing.

16. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Thursday April 22, 2010

Close encounter Shabery happy with shuttlers’ preparations for Finals

By LIM TEIK HUAT

KUALA LUMPUR: Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Ahmad Shabery Cheek and his entourage came prepared with their racquets and attire when they made a surprise visit to the national badminton training centre at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara here yesterday.

After greeting the players and coaches, Sha*bery went on to play a few games with his staff and his deputy, Datuk Razali Ibrahim, before leaving to attend the Parliamentary meeting.

But it was not all fun for Shabery as he wanted to see up close the ongoing preparations of the Thomas and Uber Cup trainees.

After a lapse of 10 years, Malaysia are again hosting the Finals at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil from May 9-16.

Shabery later expressed his satisfaction with the state of the preparation of the teams.

“I did not announce my visit to them but from what I have seen, I’m confident we have a team with the ability to regain the Thomas Cup,” he said. “We are playing on home ground and it should be used as a motivating factor for them. I just hope Malaysians will show support for the team.”

Certain quarters have brought up the matter of a lack of promotional activities, especially when the Finals are less than a month away.

On whether the Badminton Association of Ma**laysia (BAM) are doing enough to promote the biennial world team championships for both men and women, Shabery said that the ministry were ready to help in any way possible.

“I’m sure the public will be aware of the Finals as the dates get nearer,” he said.
    “We are asking the players to fight for the country and it’s not an easy life they go through. They have to be disciplined and wake up early for training. Therefore, the least we can do is to show our appreciation by buying tickets to watch them.”

The public can get a peek of the shuttlers selected for the Finals when they play simulation matches after their return from the motivational and team-building camp in Port Dickson next week.
    Doubles chief coach Rexy Mainaky said that the shuttlers and coaches would be in Port Dickson for three days from tomorrow.

“We are still looking at a suitable venue for the simulation matches where the public can watch the games,” he said.

“We hope to create the environment to get them in the mood before we switch training to the actual venue early next month.”

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
  18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    Nadzmi: I was forced to act

I was away in Germany and the unfolding events forced me to do it (sack Ganga Rao). We didn't want to interrupt preparations for the Thomas Cup and Uber Cup Finals.

"I had to sack people and I didn't have a choice but to terminate Ganga's position as secretary," said Nadzmi upon his arrival at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) yesterday.

"I am responsible for what has happened and I had to act fast. Appointments of the secretary, assistant secretary and treasurer is the prerogative of the president.

"When I first appointed him, Ganga was a junior executive with BAM and I didn't give any reason for selecting him, so similarly, I think I will reserve my right not to reveal any reason behind his termination."

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/articles/me2jp3rjpo3/Article/index_html

Nadzmi puts interests of Thomas-Uber Cup players first

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2010/4/23/sports/6113562&sec=sports

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

From what little information that is available it looks like the sponsorship deal with ING was approved by the BAM council, in which Proton's and ING's place in the sun was properly spelled out. But then a spanner was thrown in that took the BAM by surprise-the involvement of a 3rd party. Since this 3rd party was never part of the deal and blind-sided the council, the deal was as good as dead.
    It is my opinion that BAM may not need a full-time secretary, as an honorary one will do. The reason is that unlike other sports associations, BAM has a full-time manager, called the General Manager. General managers are full-time professionals that run the business, not secretaries.

20. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Nonetheless, Nadzmi shouldn't belittle Ganga Rao. Ganga may not have not followed or have at least overlooked certain processes in the ING appointment, but for Nadzmi to call Ganga a junior exec before his appointment smacks of some kind of tiff between them. Ganga was working with BAM and BWF long before Nadzmi came on board.