Humidfying Shuttlecocks, 2013 Edition

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by firetab, Dec 12, 2012.

1. doxdox13

doxdox13 Regular Member

Graduate Student
    I live in the Midwest US and this is what I do:

Put a kettle on and get the steam going. Put your hand over the steam and find where it is warm, NOT HOT (start high and lower your hand down).

Put the feathers only (avoid the cork) of the shuttle in the steam and take your fingers and slide them down the feathers (just like you would between rallies to fix strays). If you do it right, you should hear the feathers squeak.

Do this twice for each shuttle. Put the shuttles in the tube and hold the end of the tube over the steam for 2 seconds and put the caps back on.

Do this two days before you play and the day of play, and your shuttles will often slow down too much before they even break.

2. liyongbo

liyongbo Regular Member

You can use the method suggested by Chen Weihua (Lin Dan coach) in his first lecture of Badminton Training. Chen suggested that:

(1) Open the both the end covers of the shuttle tube
    (2) Put a cup of hot water on the entrance of the tube
    (3) Cover the exit of tube with your palm
    (4) Once your palm feel that the steam from the hot water have traveled to the exit end of tube, cover both end of the tube.

3. Limited328

Limited328 Regular Member

How much time is needed prior to game play? Do this overnight or 4 hours before game time?

4. liyongbo

liyongbo Regular Member

I just reviewed the video. He did not mentioned the specific time needed prior to game play. I usually do this the night before the game.