Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

Racket choice is very imp to me as I found out that certain racket either cause soreness in my arms or limit my play level. Some racket are just impossible to do proper clears for me due to it's lightweight. I won't say racket increase my level of play but they can decrease yr level of play or just make the play less enjoyable.

2. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

Yea I totally understand... Sometimes I play with my old Black Knight BK939 and i end up hurting myself because I have to put a LOT more effort in making clears and backhands...

Which is why I love my VT80 sooo much... Effortless clears :p

3. subzero1856

subzero1856 Regular Member

One concern I have is the vt80 easy to break due to the thinner frame???

4. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

I'm not competitive enough to risk my racquet :p.... If I see the slightly movement from my partner... I back off LOL... I rather lose the point than lose the racquet...

5. subzero1856

I'm still wondering this this weaker, as strong or stronger when others

6. subzero1856

I just found out the the reason why my vt80 is cheaper at £120 is its made in Japan. So not from official uk distubituor. Is this a problem?

7. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    It is a problem :D

Best is buy from reliable source than to regret later :)

An imitation racket no matter what grade,

at best is just a normal racket. :D

#1647 pBmMalaysia, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  8. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    Got mine yesterday, wont play with it until Monday

It is noticeably head heavy so I hope smashes are powerful.

9. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I clashed my MX80 with a VT80 on Tuesday.

VT80 lost.

:D

10. -SYC-

-SYC- Regular Member

School
    I tried my voltric today, i had to sort of get used to it because i had never used a head heavy racket before, i was using the Arc10 before, but i am slowly getting use to vt80, i dont see much differrnce in power....

11. subzero1856

It 100 percent genuine

12. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

You're not going to see any difference if you don't work on your technique.

13. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    After swinging it about at home it didn't feel like anything special. Just much more head heavy than my current AT800.

Last night I finally got to play with it and it didnt feel head heavy at all. Smashes make a lovely sound and are satisfying.

Smashes seemed pretty powerful (well sound powerful anyway) and I'm pretty sure they will hit harder once the 25lb tension drops a tad.

I have to mention the sound smashes make again. If you're an offensive player playing against club or mid league players the smash sound is gonna be demoralising.

14. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

Hi bazzaman, you didn't feel the head heaviness? Are you using 3U or 4U?

15. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I've been regularly playing with my 3U VT80 for about 2 months now and I've definitely become accustomed to the "head heaviness" - it feels absolutely normal to me now. Almost any other racket feels head light to me now!

16. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    It's quite noticeably head heavy when you swing it around. But when you play with it, its completely different.

A few players (veterans) tried it out and all loved it but would prefer a lower tension.

17. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    3UG5 @ 25lb BG80

18. Weezzerr

Weezzerr Regular Member

Graduate
    Here's a story about me and the Voltric 80. I'm a low intermediate-level player and have pretty much never bought or use a high-end racquet before and have always played with cheap but genuine ones (2 so far). By the way, both my previous racquet was 4U Headlight Carltons stringed at 21lbs with THICK grips. Was looking to upgrade just to get the latest racquet (my old ones are still fine) since i havent bought one for 4 years (stop playing for 3 years actually and just stated playing again 1/2 year ago).

So here i was scouring the internet and forums for my 1st and next new high-end racquet with no idea about all the features like Balance point..repulsion..3U..4U..grip size..tensions or whatever those features and new technology supposable effect on my game (I learned most of those from this forum and Paul's website : ) ) and finally bought the Voltric 80 based on its raved reviews.

My V80 was stringed with BG66u at 25lbs (i know!..4 lbs too high) and is a 3U with thin grip. My first impression? A total mess..i hate it! But i kept using it thinking that i need to adapt and using a heavy racquet and high tension will strenghthen me further. However, after 4 sessions (roughly 3hrs session 4 days a week), i revert back to my Carlton (played better with it) and almost sold the V80.

The power (smash and clear) is there and are effortless went excecuted perfectly compared to my old racquets, but they are very inconsistent as i kept hitting the frame and miss the sweetspot alot!. Not to mention how fast and easily tired i was when using it although i never felt the soreness in the arms which i expected due to 4lbs higher tension and headheavy racquet. Not to forget, my smash defence was horrid. The net play was great from the start though.

I decided to give it 1 last try on the 5th session and boy was i glad. My clears were all the way to the backcourt even when pressured..my smash was smashing :) ..my net and dropshot was as great as the 1st time i used it....the control i get from using the thin grip..and my smash defence is back to normal (sometimes better)..and best of all..i was able to do this consistently for 5 straight games..this racquet's GREAT!!!..far better than my Carlton..i loved it..11 sessions in..and i still love it..

Just feel like sharing this so those who find it hard to adapt.. Don't give up just yet..give it a chance. On another note, i find this racquet requires you to improve your technique in order to benifit from it..i definately felt i somehow improve using my Carlton after using the V80 for awhile..but maybe thats just me :)

#1658 Weezzerr, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  19. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I agree with Weezzer. It took me about 3 sessions of 1hr singles play to feel comfortable with the VT80. And due to singles play...I have more stamina and tire far less than I did previously.

Played singles again last night with my friend with his Arc 10. His play has been consistent compared to his VT70. We played 3 games using new feathers Victor Tournament. Maybe we got some old stock but we used 1 feather per game (pretty crappy). Maybe it's the feathers or I'm getting stronger but for some reason, I kept hitting the shuttle out (long) when doing clears. I lost several points because of that. I still prefer the Yonex AS50 (as does my friend).

My friend was so happy at the end of the night cuz he finally won 2 games during a session.

I'm wanting to buy another VT80 (maybe 3UG5 this time) or the VT80 LTD just for singles play (to avoid chips). And use my current VT80 for doubles (cuz it now has 3 HUGE chips due to 2 clashes with newbies in doubles play). :(

Is it wrong for me to want my VT80 to break to justify buying a new one?? ;)

20. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    Canuck, how bad were the clashes?