UK: leagues too much mixed and not enough singles.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bbirdman, Sep 9, 2013.

1. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Ive never ever put female player down ever. I feel they look down on me because i cannot blast out winners from the back. so much pressure when playing mixed I have to smash out winners thats all its about I end up hitting the net getting frustrated. and 80% of league games are mixed.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    More Mixed Doubles matches will encourage more female players to play

Just to compare with our Doubles League in Melbourne, Australia; A team consists of 2 men and 2 women. Matches are 1MD, 1WD, 4XD (because each teammate gets to partner each of the other 3 teammates).

BTW, in Melbourne, our ratio of men:women players is around 9:1 (this is just my observation).

I am rather confused by the OP in saying - I'm all for encouraging females to play badminton. IMHO, one of the ways to encourage more females to play badminton is to have more Mixed Doubles in league matches.

#22 chris-ccc, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  3. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Why should I suffer just to subsidize lack of female interest. cricket football basketball doesnt have this problem.

A female can play for one year even less and bang shes straight into a side. I on the other hand have massivefully improve my ability to get into a side. Play for years.

In my area some sides are folding because theres not enough female interest.

And still how many females have commented yet. none!!!!!!!

How many females are active members on here interested in the technical aspects of badminton!!! not many I bet.

Yet competitive badminton in my area is about strange game of mixed. where the female serves then no way do you want her going sides. they are just not experienced enough to deal with it.

When i first went to a club years ago I was not good enough I was directed o a lower badminton group I understood and went.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Probably, you haven't been involved in mixed teams matches in cricket, football and basketball before. They often have the same problem - not enough female players.

On the other hand, take a look at mixed teams matches in netball; They often don't have enough male players.

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

This is just how it is in the uk at a certain level. You have a few choices, basically forget about it and start organizing your own stuff.

For doubles you could start your own club and just get a few guys and only enter MD league or forget about league and just arrange good games.

For singles same for games but you could try starting a singles league. They ran one here. It was done on a monthly basis and it was groups of 4 or whatever. during the course of the month you arranged to play these people once, then it was updated online. At the end of the month if you topped the group you moved to the next group and bottom move group down. We had i think 6 groups of 4, worked well for competitive badminton and you always found a level which was good for you.

6. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Regardless of where you think the problem lies, the solution is coaching and/or structured practice. This is most true in mixed. If all a lady does in matches is serve and play net shots, then that is all they will ever do by playing matches. It's a classic catch-22. They can't smash defend, so they don't defend the x-court. They don't defend the x-court, so they can't smash defend.

Rather than question the commitment of the ladies who do play, the 'no practice' club culture is at the core of what is eroding the amateur UK scene. Practice improves the consistency of the stronger players & enables the weaker players to improve. The stronger members of a club need to realize that it is in their interests to help the weaker players to improve.

That way, we may get the standard of game that we all aspire to.

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    My point exactly. Im glad you agree!

8. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Women usually play exclusively at clubs and are usually proportionally the most coached players when compared to men in badminton in the UK.

The problem is Im am a man
    Ive been playing badminton for 3 years about 4 times a week Ive watched lots of videos, I'm front court player. I win games against 1st division players but Im not very good at mixed.

Clubs anwser go away mate you need a massive smash. A good serve and everything else means nothing.

Thens theres
    I'm a female I am 135 years old been playing for 3 days and can just about do a save serve against weaker league player.

Please please join our club.

Sorry for the rant.

League badminton in the uk is a bit like crown green bowling its for older people. Thats a good thing in many ways, you dont need to be fit to play doubles. Think Ill join when I am older.

Good advice. I am going to set up a singles badminton group.

GOOD coaching is reserved only for centre of excellence type youngsters. Being a level 2 coach means not much for the more keen players.

If you've get half a brain the best form of coaching is the internet unless you have access to one of these centre of excellence type coaches

9. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Wow - in my area good coaching is achieved by finding a good coach and paying their hourly rate for a private lesson.

No disrespect, but if you have not been coached to some degree, you are unlikely to have the necessary racket skills to play high level league badminton. Whilst having a massive smash is very useful for some players, the best players in most top leagues I have played in (by quite some way), are NOT the ones with the massive smashes. They are the ones that have the best quality defence, drives, accuracy overhead, lifts to the back lines etc. Its the QUALITY of their shots, obtained through hours of coaching and practice, that makes them so dangerous. Its nothing to do with their smash. They can smash ok, because they place the shuttle properly, and its possible for anyone to have an effective smash, but they are not gifted with supernatural power. And this is very top league, full of county players, reasonable standard. The game is not dominated by the big smashers, but the people with the best skills and footwork.

Out of interest, you say "im a front court player", which implies that you do not trust your skills in the back court or mid court. Is this true? Are you actually weak in other areas of the court? Or do you just enjoy being at the net? There is a big difference between the two.

I know what you mean about team selection policy - because of the smaller number of women who play badminton, they get picked for teams more quickly than men. Thats true. But its not the fault of the women themselves! If better women come along, the worse ones won't play. The same as with the men.

I don't understand what you mean by "proportionally the most coached players when compared to men". What on earth are you talking about?

And as a parting note to everybody: anyone who thinks they can learn to play properly just by watching internet videos is sorely mistaken. A good coach will do more for your game in a year, than 10 years studying videos. Trust me. Been there. Done that. You really want to be good? Get a coach, and start practising!

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Please don't expect our female partner to play like a man

LOL. This is so true.

Perhaps I am one of our few BCers who is a full-time professional coach here (in this thread). :):):)

But let me say some points (through my experience in my professional coaching) ;

* Many trainees who can't follow/do what is taught by what a coach teaches, often say that the coach is no good. They don't blame themselves in their inability to acquire the skill taught.

* Many trainees who think that they are doing better by copying what they see via the internet videos; When told (by others) they aren't doing it right, often they say they are just following what the videos teach them. Perhaps, videoing themselves will reveal to them that they aren't doing what the strokes/footwork are showing.

* etc, etc, ......

By the way, I would like to comment on how a good Mixed Doubles is played. It is accurate placement of shots from both partners from each side. It's more like playing Singles; not just hoping to force opponents to lift (so that a smash can be executed, to end a rally).

To me, the best executed shot in a Mixed Doubles is the 'push shot' (which causes confusion to opponents as to whom the opponent should play the return shot). It's nothing to do with power; It's just a clever accurate placement of the shuttlecock to cause confusion to opponents.

Talking about international players - both male and female players (in their partnership) are often able to handle all situations. But at our lower level, females often cannot do hard smashes and/or return hard smashes.

Therefore, please don't expect our female partner to play like a man.
    :):):)

#30 chris-ccc, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Wow, do you not film them as a matter of course? video analysis of their shot technique, with them watching would surely be the first thing to do, that is surprising. Just shows you how badminton is still stuck in the dark ages for coaching.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

You will need to understand how I am charging my professional coaching service fee. :):):)

Trainees are usually reluctant to pay me for the time spent in showing them videos. If they pay me, I have no problem showing them videos of themselves.

I work like how doctors, electricians, plumbers, etc, usually charge their fees. It's a fixed charge, whether it is for a 10 minute job or an 1 hour or more job. Therefore, most trainees usually video themselves and check it at home (to see if they have followed the instructions/demonstrations that I have taught/showed them). They usually don't need me there since I will charge them a fee.

I sometimes also compare myself like a music teacher. Let the trainees tape/record how they have played a piece of music (to listen at home). If they needed my help on how to improve to play better or differently; they will come to consult me again (and I will charge them for it, of course).

#32 chris-ccc, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  13. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Chris-ccc, there is fault in your logic - only the very bright players will notice faults while watching themselves. I highly recommend that you analyse any video taken with your player(s)

I can assure you that player(s) will also feel value in reviewing this during their paid session. If you do not review it and correct as you go along, well, "Practise makes permanent"

- note I am not a coach

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Yes, some trainees do involved me in reviewing their action during their paid sessions. I am not saying that no trainees don't hire me for this job.

Anyway, the correction of technique is still the same (as how I tell them how; without watching the videos). It is true, if they don't believe me in what I have told them, the videos will prove it for them. :):):)

#34 chris-ccc, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  15. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    I am saying you should make it mandatory for all players. Tell them that unless you review it with them and correct mistakes there is little point in practising as they are practising incorrect movements....

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

This is one of the frustrations that coaches will face.

Some trainees are just not capable to do what is taught. Coaches will need to help to teach them in what other movements they can do.