Yonex Mavis 300 or 350?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by eddiemon, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiemon

eddiemon Regular Member

What's the difference between the two? Which one is better?

2. eddiemon

eddiemon Regular Member

nevermind. since no one wanted to answer. i bought 300 already. didnt try it yet.

3. alan06

alan06 Regular Member

Based on my experience, Mavis 350 is much better than Mavis 300. It will last you longer and the flight is very similar to feather. You won't be disappointed.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i have opposite experience. 300 last twice as long as 350

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    They may last longer than feathers but they are also terrible for badminton. It may be good for beach badminton, definitely not for the courts. Cooler, how can you play with plastic? I am shocked.:confused:

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    All Mavis shuttles fly like crap (compared to real shuttles!!)..

If you want decent shuttles you should buy goos feather shuttles with correct speed, for your climate.

Asking if Mavis 300 or 350 is better is to most badminton-addicted players like asking us to recommend which rubberboots are best for 800m track & field :)

/TWobeer

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Both are for one-shot-one-kill rally.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i'm even more shocked that u didn't understood the question or the subject of this thread

9. kingmarioxv

kingmarioxv Regular Member

graduate student
    I have never seen the Mavis 300 as we only have the 350 (yellow or white) in Jamaica. Plastic shuttles are used a lot because feathers are harder to get and cost a whole lot more. If you're looking at the 350, I'd say that the yellow ones seem to be better.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If you can get plastic shuttles there you should be able to get feathers as well-the same supply chain should handle both. You can get reasonably good duck feather shuttles (these are a grade below goose feathers) and they are many worlds better than the best plastic. Have you played with good feathers?

11. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    gosh when i play with A50 Yonex i feel like a pro ... the sound of your racket hiting the shuttle at the sweet spot .. boom ..... well just a the feeling is great .... i know i will never be pro :p but that moment .. really nice...

12. kingmarioxv

graduate student

There is only one really accessible store badminton players can get goods at and I wish they would expand their selection :crying: (only MP, CAB and AT300 available - no NS or ARC or any other AT's + only BG65 and 80). There are a couple other stores but they are in private clubs.

Last time I checked, they had some Carlton feather shuttles but I wasn't looking to buy any at the time. The last tourney I entered was the first time I played a match with feather shuttles - really different feel but the shuttles were degrading quickly. And since the match wasn't in the top division, we were only allowed 1 shuttle per set = poor flight in the last half of each set.

I'll see if I can get some feathers though. But it's still so tempting to buy 350's since they're so much cheaper

13. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    You should check out Dink's thread http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57298
    He's selling some CP Shuttles for a really good price. You could also order bulk online which is much cheaper then buying locally.

14. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I play with plastics all the time. So are you guys saying plastics travel much faster than feathers? People still say my smashes aren't very fast. Maybe they have only other plastics to compare to.

15. meteoflare

meteoflare Regular Member

String breaker
    Duck feather shuttles are absolute garbage. I hate plastic but I would rather get a tube of plastics than a tube of duck feather shuttles. You can't really play any games with them since you'll use about 2 shuttles per set for singles and many more for doubles.

Plastic has a completely different flight pattern than feather. Plastic doesn't really slow down as fast as feather so consequently it will be faster. The impact is completely different too. Plastic shuttles feel like ping pong balls after hitting with feather for a while.

I would just stay clear of the yonex plastics in general... they just feel way too light. The best plastic shuttle I've seen so far was a Wilson brand one (dunno the exact model) The flight path was mediocre but the hitting impact was much closer to feather than any of the yonex ones.

Then again... beggers can't be choosers. :)

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

There are at least 4 grades of duck feathers, with the lowest grade mainly used for teaching'drilling beginner kids. The two top grade duck feathers are reasonably good, much better than the best plastics. They are in fact as good as the two lower grade goose feathers. A good grade duck feather is comparable to a low grade feather like RSL No. 1 Tourney.
    I believe one cannot really play badminton as the game should be played with plastics. Stick to feathers if you really want to improve your game.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If you are into badminton seriously switch to feathers. You will not go far with plastics.

18. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    So performance of feathers are slower than plastics. Even because of that, I can defend peoples smashes pretty nicely. So I should change my game to be more smash oriented? I can't choose which one to play, my school district plays with plastics. I'm really not in a position to tell them to play with feather. Plus its much more expensive because it breaks so fast. I have played with a feather and I don't even see the difference. I can clear drop drive smash the same with both, but feathers I guess slow down faster.

#18 KazeCloud, Jun 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  19. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I'm stuck with plastic....but playing with feathers is like whacking the bird and feeling heaving on your fingertips......haha
    Honestly feels lighter, more crisp, and in general better. Plastics in comparison, after using feathers, feel clumsy, heavy, and hollow for me.

That being said, you need to use feathers consistently to recognize how much better they are than plastics.

20. kingmarioxv

graduate student
    tourney: feather vs plastic

Well I've just finished a weekend tournament where I entered 2 divisions, one that uses plastic (D) and one that uses feather (B) - Aeroplane red bands. Didn't go far in B division as those guys were much better but I could really feel the difference in the ability to control the shuttle as well as the dramatic reduction in speed unless you're strong. In my division (D), the plastics were faster and with my new AT 300 I had to be careful not to hit the bird out while serving while I had to work to send the feather to the back.

Reflecting on the differences, I'd love to play with feathers more but until I can get them cheaper I'll only play with them where provided.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.