Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. *chance*

*chance* Regular Member

Nope he lost in the Semi-Final to Bao Chunlai. :)

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    No he cannot. Only LYB can pull it off with his willing silent compliance. Poor LD, what could he do? It was on his shoulders to create a false and completely unfair #4 ranking for his compatriot who was by himself unworthy of the #4 ranking because he could not get there by himself. It's not his fault. It's PG's fault, because PG had no business being there at #4 in the first place. How dare PG!!

Am also disappointed with Justin's recent statements after reading so many of his highly moral discourses in other posts and threads; and now he justifies nationalist maneuvers that discredit other players, with a simplistic "end-justifies-the-means" angle and that tired cliche "it's all the fault of the 'unfair' rules laid down by OG committee and BWF..." And Justin, before you conveniently quote other people, please rememebr that both PG and Gopi, both people with a high sense of personal integrity, made their statements in the context of praising the CBA work ethic and focus, but a few million people would love to selective use these guys to justify cheating by CBA. You should have known better than fall for that device.

If CJ cannot make it on his own, he doesn't deserve to be in the top 4 - period! That is called fair competition. Anything else is cheating! When will you people ever get it????? Sorry, my question should be: "Do you people ever want to get it???"

3. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Are you saying you think PG is actually stronger player than CJ and thus is more deserving of being ranked higher?? I have a bit of a hard time understanding your reasoning here. I really admide and root for PG, but frankly ranking-point wise it is an advantage to be european, due to less competetition in europe and thus more easily obtained rating points.

BTW i think the stats between CJH and PG is 8-3 to CJ favor...

I am no big fan of CJs style of play.. I find him a bit to "non-creative", PG is more entertaining. but there is no denial he is the stronger badmintonplayer of the two imop.

#3103 twobeer, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  4. laonong

laonong Regular Member

if include Thomas cup, sudiman cup, maybe around 15.
    don't think everyone in China know that.
    I guess more than 50% people in China does not know who is LD, LCW, TH, PG etc.

5. flite

flite Regular Member

Clearly it was you who didn't see the bigger picture as to what extent or benefit LD had and toward his subsequent matches. It was all there.

Same thing apply to the physical and mental issue. What do you think that if indeed LD had an easy match and on the other hand his supposed opponent had a tough one? What advantage or benefit do you think the physical and mental issue had?

Or shall I say you refused to see it? Since you highlighted them and need further elaboration like a lawyer wannabe, here you go:

Assumed that LD vs CJ match was fixed

1.) Mentally more relaxed - Prior knowing that he would have an easy match in the SF, LD does not need to worry about the SF match eg. what strategy to apply, game-plan etc.. Mentally he is free of pressure for the day. One can only operate, play and think properly if he is not under constant pressure.

2.) Mentally better prepared - LD already knew that he already booked a ticket to the Final so his mind and vision can totally focus on the coming matches and plan ahead. He can strategize his game and do some analytical preparation whereas all his opponent could do is to focus on the game on hand. Mentality wise, LD is one step ahead.

3.) Physically well prepared - He can take the match against CJ as an extra training day. A training just to get his body rate worked out to the desired level so he would be at optimum condition. This is essential as to make sure that he wasn't overworked nor over rested prior to the Final. On the other hand, LCW and LHY were fighting gongs and drums maybe even to the point of exhaustion.

4.) Physically well preserved - Most of the top athletes carry some sort of strain/injury with them at certain point of time. These strains or injuries could resurfaced if one were pushed to the limit. LD was spared in regard to this since he wasn't pushed by CJ. The same couldn't be applied to LCW who had a gruelling three setter. Therefore LD came to the Final in a better physical condition compared to LCW who might still not yet fully recovered. In that case, LD can play the way, the speed, the game he wanted to play.

Given the points above do you think that he LD indeed has certain advantages or benefits coming to the final matches? Or you can still argue and stick to it that LD being the "best player" does not need that.... which is beside the point.

#3105 flite, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    OK, we can choose to be obtuse, TB, which I admit you do very well when you choose to! :D

CJ wouldn't have got a few thousand of the points he had garnered, if not for the magnanimity of his cohorts. You're pretty good at looking up stats when it suits you, why don't you do the same this time around for the OG qualifying period, for some of the SS tourneys played? How about starting with the SS tourney that just played out, only circa 2011? Remember it was just about a thousand points that got him to #4 just in the nick of time. And thereby hangs the tale...

Point-wise ranking for an European player has nothing to do with it. No one assisted PG in any event he played. H2H stats don't have anything to do with the fact of ranking. "Easy" points in Europe (debatable) is no justification for a CBA manipulation.

CJ may in your opinion, be the stronger player of the two, but what exactly does that have to do with his ranking? Is his bad back to be blamed on PG? Is his run of bad results with other players to be blamed on PG? What exactly is your point? Is his misfortune, his lack of physical conditioning, his insufficient points something to be covered up with statements like "China deserves to have at least 4-5 players in the OG!"

Give me a break, the OG wasn't made to parade the best of the best. That's what world championships are for. The OG is a chance for all countries, yes even the "underprivileged" and "third world" (how I hate those words coined by the powerful to further underline the chasm between the haves and have-nots) to mix it with the "developed" and "powerful" on equal terms. If you don't like it, you have a choice: get lost, don't participate!

7. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Speaking about the OG2008 Final between LD and LCW, in a nutshell, you cannot sound a clap with only one palm waving into thin air.

If you have read or seen the interviews LCW had about that fateful match, these are some of the significant factors that led LCW to believe that the match was not really his to take:

1. LCW was not mentally prepared. He mentioned that he had close to or less than 5 hours of sleep the night prior. He was just too anxious to "get things over with".

2. At the time LCW was facing a lot of mental pressure from BAM and indirect expectations from his MAS fans. LD was also facing the same thing from the other side. Truth is, if LD had been mentally weak during the time, LCW would have had some chance of taking the match as no matter how well rested LD was the match prior, mental pressure can still crack him up. Psychology is not as simple as a lot of you have been pointing out here.

3. LCW had admitted that during that match LD was playing a better game and had a better game plan than he did. This itself has a lot of factors such that I would not point directly at any one factor and elaborate on it, so 'nuff said.

8. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    OK, I can give you that,. I even spelled worse than usual in that post..

How can you know (or prove) that all players he has beaten did not intend to assist him?? Especially some of the Japanese players have given him suspiciously easy wins.. Maybe it's the sponsor behind it?? I am just playing devils advocate here.. but the discussion based on pure assumptions on the "effort" of players is fruitless. Besides there is a fact that players like Taufik openly suggesting that he and LCW would assist PG to stop CJs ranking advancement. Remember http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...pact-with-Chong-Wei-to-stop-China-says-Taufik ...

Can't we at least agree that the general idea behind the world ranking is to rank the player based on their badminton playing strength, even if the system has its flaws..

8-3 between two player is also a pretty strong indication which one is the strongest.. I think the last time CJ lost to PG was in 2008.

Don't you think the ranking has anything to do with the players strength? Come on now.. Don't be obtuse yourself .-)

No, and No.. I fail to see how you could think that i somehow "blame" PG for CJ being ranked to low.

My point is that I think it is only fair that CJ is ranked before PG, and it is definitely not fair that one of the top 5 players in the world would be denied entry in OG based on only the fact that the country already has two players ranked higher. So I fail to be very upset that his team mates don't made their upmost to stop him from qualifying to OG, as you seem to think they should.

You are just coming up with stamens that no one is saying.. I personally think it makes sense that a country with 3 top-10 players should have the possibility if they play well to get gold, silver and bronze medals..And this would of course be the same if JAP, MAS, DK or any other country had 3 possible medal candidates. I have a hard time figuring out why you would deny China this opportunity, if you are not in some way biased against them.

Yes, I also think OG should be not only for the best! But allowing lesser countries to compete, isn't the same as denying the strong countries their chances of medal sweeps imop. I fail to see how allowing China to enter 3 top contender would deny Henri Hurskainen of Sweden his chance of glory..

Do you think it would be more fair with a max 2 players per country? or maybe just limit it to one player per country, then making it impossible for any single country to get both gold silver and bronze in our sport?

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    they say world championship lar
    not this kind of team team thingy

10. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

but i think TC,UC and SC are team world championship, aren't they?

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

CJ doesn't deserve to be no.4 and therefore shouldn't be in the Olympics? If he were a non-CHN player, what then, but it's his misfortune to be from CHN?

By saying CJ deserves to be in, I discredit other players, how did that conclusion come about??? End justifies the means? Nope,not always, the means must be acceptable and not harmful,please don't assume that it's my stand.

The IOC/BWF rule unfair to CHN - it is unfair, but CHN isn't complaining but trying their level best to get one more player in as allowed by the rules without doing anything illegal. If what CHN did is cheating,then BWF,the world governing body to which CBA and all the BAs are subordinate, is the more guilty party for conniving,condoning and allowing it, therefore guilty of complicity at least. Don't you think we ought to go after BWF first or instead? Why just stop at whining and whimpering or ranting and raving at them in this forum?

All those who believe BWF and CBA and one or two other BAs who did the same are guilty of cheating should bring them to justice. Let's clean up the act, restore the great game of badminton to its former glory and pristine purity - I am all for it. Accusing somebody/organization of cheating is a serious charge, for cheating is a punishable offence, a crime but if you people have proof that CBA and other BAs have violated BWF's rules, take legal action against them, including BWF for sanctioning it.

If you feel powerless,may I suggest you start a petition,collect funds and engage a legal representative to take up the case? In this forum, I believe there are quite a few "crouching tigers and hidden dragons", very capable people who can take the lead if they are willing.

You know I've the highest regard for PG as I've expressed in your tribute to PG thread. And I admire P Gopichand's forthrightness and courage. Both of them are men of high integrity and whether I've misquoted them, if I did I sincerely apologise, let their own words speak for themselves (they can be found somewhere in this forum) in the context of manipulating ranking points.

Btw, I've said this several times,the Olympics is all about participation,universality,the world as one big family, it's not all about winning, even though many aspirants dream of participating and winning a medal for their country and will give life or limb for it. CHN and the other countries fully understand this and supported it. In table-tennis where CHN is even more dominant, the limit is strictly two participants,no exception made. If that's also the case for badminton, then all "this" becomes a moot point,totally irrelevant,meaningless. But since BWF/IOC made that concession - three,i.e. one more if certain conditions are met - then CHN or any other country for that matter, will surely want to try their best to fulfil the quota without violating the rules, simple as that.

Lastly,if I'm not wrong, this time round,this OG qualifying period,for quite a long while,LD or CL could do little to "help" CJ who floundered too many times. Ironically,in the end, he more or less did it by himself, remember the two tournaments he won,the Swiss Open'12 and Aussie Open'12. Then, in the India Open'12, when he realised he had qualified when PG unexpectedly lost in the QF to Shon WH, he immediately conceded a walkover to P Kashyap who thereby also qualified - you can say, PG indirectly helped him although he together with Lee CW and Taufik made a pact to stop CJ.

It goes to show if CJ isn't good enough he won't make it, the hardest working player with 22 tournaments and risking injury, though in the first place he should already be qualified without having to do so much and be severely criticized for it - all because CHN hope for just one more ,only one more, participant in the OG. Oh well,CJ,that's your fate, I get it now.

12. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

with respect to your theories, i would still saying that the 'help' from CJ (if it was really happened) didn't give LD any huge advantages. and again, i even more objected if any people try to bash LD achievements with those 'assistance' things. my example would be (please CMIIW if there is mistakes with the statistics :)):
    1. Asian Games 2010. i've tried to search full MS individual tournament's history, but only managed to find the history from QFs. since QF, LD never met his CHN teammates, but still he can managed to win the gold against his best rival in the final. where is the assistance then?
    2. WC 2011. LD again never met with his CHN teammates during the tournament. and again, he still managed to win the gold too against a very good form LCW. so, who assisted him back then?

about better preparation that LD have as you said in OG 2008, in the WC 2011 SF, LCW won over CJ in 2 games, 21-13 21-9 in 43 minutes match on the morning session (starting 11 AM, 3rd match) while LD must struggle agains PG in 3 games 22-24 21-7 21-15 for 1 hour 15 minutes match on the afternoon session (starting 05.30 PM, 4th match). and then, the final matches held tomorrow. let's bring the situation to your 4 points above:
    1. mentally relaxed: pretty the same i think, LCW knew CJ pretty much won't give him big hard time, as for LD i think with PG(which unfortunately didn't happen :D)?
    2. mentally better prepared: again, pretty the same i think.
    3. physically better prepared: i think LCW should have edge here. shorter duration match which played earlier compared to LD. and there is no 1-day-off like the OG.
    4. physically well preserved: as your theory, LCW have the edge here of course, for just playing 2 games compared to LD with 3 games.
    so, what's the final results? LCW has a bit advantage too in WC 2011 based on your theory, but still he failed to maximize it. LD could have advantage too in OG 2008, but he won't grab the gold if he too failed to catch the opportunity. so, the players' succeed should still depend on the players themselves, how to catch the opportunity in front of them, and not rely only to the assistance like you said.

peace. :)

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    really?then why dont they name it world team championship?
    but thomas?uber?sudirman?
    i still believe that lin dan won wc from 1997 -2012.

14. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

tribute to the persons who provide the Cups maybe? :D

15. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    you really need to learn more about those cup

16. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

really? from where? or maybe you won't mind to give me some lesson about those cups? :)

sorry, try to look in BWF site and found this:

http://bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=16703

http://bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14917

in those two links, it's mentioned like this:

The Thomas Cup or Men’s World Team Championships was first staged in 1948-49, and the Uber Cup or
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Women’s World Team Championships...
    [/FONT]
    Also: The Sudirman Cup is the World Team Badminton Championships

because it's from BWF, i think it's trustable/valid, isn't it?

#3116 bad's fan, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  17. flite

flite Regular Member

What you stated were actually the events that befallen on LCW's side which is not exactly the point of discussion. Furthermore, all the points you presented actually supported the facts which I stated that indeed LD was better prepared, period.

18. flite

flite Regular Member

The fact is, if you choose to accept that, LD indeed had the advantages prior to the final game. Whether to what extent we don't know as that wasn't my original point of discussion. The rest of your post is a little off topic because from my point of view, there is a huge difference to the nature of the game when it comes to LD vs CJ against LCW vs CJ.:)

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Let s go hypothetical. If LHI had been drawn to play LD and CJ to play LCW in the OG08 semis, what do you think would have happened? Most likely, both CJ and LD would not be mentally as fresh and the outcome for the medal matches would more likely be closer. That s what is meant by LD having the plus with assists.

20. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Hypotetically LD would have probably trashed LHI in a similar fashion like he did in Asian Games 2008 (and has been doing consistently after the "korean incident" showing the "ugly side" of LDs behaviour towards Li Mao in KO 2008). My guess would be 21-15,21-10 or something like that in 40 minutes or so. (Aisan Games 2008 was 21-15,21-8 to LD I beleive.)

Hypotetically LCW could possibly even have lost to CJ in the semi if they had met. But most likely he would have won (he usually owns CJ) but having to work even harder than when beating LHI and be lacking even more in confidence against LD in the final.

I am also sure nobody would have cried foul if LCW had beaten CJ 21-12, 21-18, and accused CJ of "helping" LCW by loosing in straight games :)

This is of course all hypotetical.

#3120 twobeer, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012