2013 Controversies at Korean Open - forced withdrawals

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Thuan Keat, Jan 8, 2013.

1. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

I think you are the one who is missing the point.
    I am talking about sportsmanship and you are talking about money and justifying why bad sportsmanship is OK in this case.

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

So pay $30,000 instead? That makes [/I]total sense... In case you haven't noticed, the world is in a financial meltdown (still) and it makes total sense to do this instead of pay an unnecessary fine.

If its bad sportsmanship, then surely LCW is a bad sportsman too? Withdrawing last month, where is the difference? Saina as well...

What's the point in making players travel to tournaments when injured? I remember (it was either Yao Jie, Pi Hongyan or Tine Baun) reading an interview which it stated they had traveled to tournaments injured, just to sit and watch. That isn't fair at all.

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    wrong is wrong
    doesnt matter who or which country.
    on this thread,its about cba retired case.

4. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Why are you bringing up LCW & Saina? Are you implying I am bias towards China? When Saina did this, I screwed her for doing it. Maybe your memory is a bit weak. Go to Saina's thread and see.

There is proper channel to argue about rules. China's Badminton Association should have said we are not going to send players to PSS because we don't agree with the rules. Surely everyone would have rallied behind them.

Anyway no point to argue about this with people who don't appreciate sportsmanship.
    If your participate in a tournament, you should give your best else don't bother coming.

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
  6. betazone

betazone Regular Member

It's ludicrous, BWF must be the only sports governing body that is scared of its members.
    It started long ago, the worst was at Olympics and now badminto will be the laughing stock again....come on ban them.....everyone knows who they are !!!! Show them your true color BWF

7. kenjai7373

kenjai7373 Regular Member

lyb is doing his best to protect his best players from injuries. chinese player has too many obligations than other countries. look how wang xin and wang lin ended up. the scheduling of mandatory events came at the wrong time, and also after an olympic year where theres hardly any rest for olympic players. if they dont show up, they will get fined and possibly be suspended so the best way was to show and withdraw. it sucks for the fans but probably the people complaining dont really care but just want to rant about china just like how chinese winning is killing the sport, but now withdrawing is making the sport a joke. i think posters know who they are so lets not go into a flame war:D

8. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    First of all I dont think BWF has b*lls to do that. And if you remember, China boycotted badminton until 1980's until Taiwan was recognized as Chinese Taipei by UN. But when they arrived they dominated the sport right away. So it wouldn't matter them if they are banned for a mere one year. But still, they should be banned coz it would be a disgrace to their nation and they wouldn't let that happen as this situation is not the same as 1980's.

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Haha, this is as blatant as it gets.

LYB is openly laughing in BWF's face and daring them to do something about it. Most of us know what the answer is already. :rolleyes:

10. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

The duty of the head of a national program should be looking after the best interest of its players. It's not their problem nor duty to cater to a flawed attendance requirement from the sanctioning body.

11. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Of course it is their problem and duty to follow the rules of the sanctioning body, if they want to participate in the tour organised by this sanctioning body!

But it is allowed to be injured, that is an acceptable reason for not
    participating.

If they really want to look after their players best why don't they let them stay home when they are not fit to play?

#51 vixter, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I think all associations have the unofficial duty of doing what's best for the interest of the sport. Badminton is at a critical juncture at the moment in terms of commercial exposure. BWF is trying to promote the sport into more mainstream avenues but if associations aren't cooperative, sponsorship (current and potential) may dry up and we will lose the opportunity to bring it to a bigger stage. They need to see the bigger picture and understand if there is no commercial value in the sport, everyone loses.

13. charedblack

charedblack Regular Member

Student
    Actually if you look at cricket it has the same issue!
    The pricks in India think they run the game and if they dont like something they sook about it!
    At least they do it in the board room and not on the field or on the court!

Thats what I dont understand, is how China think doing things this way gets them a win! No one wins and the loser in this is Badminton and China dont seem to care......
    China dont understand how to behave in an appropriate corporate environment.

#53 charedblack, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  14. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Yeah right. Withdrawing from Korea PSS and putting them in intensive training camp.
    They have a higher chance of injury during the training.

15. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    I can only say, what CHN did will sooner or later destroy the reputations of the sport....
    national pride is important but overall it will kill the status of the sport as a game recognised worldwide....
    the first blunder is during Olympic...of course some Walkover or injury here and there..

badminton will become a joker's sport

16. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    We should have two threads, so that the comments are more direct :

1) Withdrawals and retirements of CHN players - Reasons : Injuries, to avoid fines, to throw matches (similar to OLY 12) and to help a fellow countryman, hehe.

2) Withdrawals and retiremants of Non CHN players - Reasons : Injuries and to avoid fines.

18. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    Seeing the words in bold, could this one below be the real solution?

"Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do...
    "

[by John Lennon]

New World Order boleh!!! :cool:

19. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Which is what LYB did. He followed the rules. He sent the players to show up in order to avoid the fines, and then he sent them home citing injury to either have them rest or attend the training camp. Sending them home isn't breaking the rule is it?

They could've let them stayed home, but then the bill for them staying home would've probably cost more than the bill of sending them there and then sending them home after a day or two.

I don't understand the big deal over this. It's not like the red-yellow jerseys are the only people who does it. Yah I was looking fwd to a LCW - CL SSF MS F that never materialized, but big whooping deal. So they WD, but they'll be back at other tournaments.

20. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

According to bwf's facebook, it was said that chen long and li xue rui suffered knee injury yesterday:rolleyes:

And yeah, they can just only say out but no proof still, or at least with their own team's doctor proof?