Badminton In Seoul

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by Oldhand, Aug 19, 2007.

1. pnvinh90

pnvinh90 Regular Member

student
    i'm going to be in 103-4401, YangChun-gu. Any suggestion?

2. queenmillennia

queenmillennia Regular Member

103-4401? Which Dong?

3. pnvinh90

pnvinh90 Regular Member

student
    i think is Mok1-dong?

4. queenmillennia

5. pnvinh90

pnvinh90 Regular Member

student
    i'm definitely will be lost walking over there. My friend going to have exams while i'm there so i will be alone most of the time walking around. Anybody care to show me around when i'm there in the summer?

6. event

event Regular Member

If you're looking for a badminton gym, the nearest may, in fact, be where tanzent plays, mentioned in post 56&57. To see the Gyenam gym on a map see here. It is between Nammyeong and Jangsu Elementary Schools. That's just under 3km from the Mok-1-dong office. Apparently the #700 bus to Bucheon takes you the whole way.

#66 event, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  7. pnvinh90

pnvinh90 Regular Member

student
    thanks for you guy help, i can't wait till summer..

8. event

event Regular Member

To find the Gyenam Gym, perhaps you could click on the Google maps link above, print it out, and show it to a taxi driver or PM tanzent, who posted above, since he plays there. Good luck.

9. event

event Regular Member

As queenmillenia pointed out in the other thread, there are several ways to get a map off your computer and into your hands so that you can show it to people and ask them to point you there. I personally haven't found Seoulites on the street to be particularly good with either maps or with directions and especially when it comes to a gym, you can't expect the average pedestrian to know it. On the other hand, it is extremely difficult for any of us to attempt to give you 3km of walking directions in a city with never-used and rarely-marked street names. I personally haven't been to that part of the city in years and can't give you reliable landmarks.

Also, as queenmillenia pointed out, there are two Hyundae Hyperions and we're not sure which one you're at. Fortunately, my suggestion to you is to take a bus which goes by both of them. I'll therefore repeat my suggestion to take the #700 bus headed for Bucheon. It does a straight shot from both Hyperions to the Gyenam Gym and it comes every 8-12 minutes. To get to the bus stop, go to the Hyperion II, and go across the street from building 205. There should be a GM Daewoo branch of some kind there, along with a Tous les jours bakery, and something called JJ Dragon and a building 103 of a different apartment complex should be behind there. At that bus stop, get on the #700 bus and take it about 3km.

You get off 7 stops later, at a stop called Jeongnang Gogae (Jeongnang Hill). There aren't a lot of landmarks there. In fact, there may be no buildings at all on the side of the street the bus stops at (because of the park the gym is part of) but it is across from building 404 of an apartment complex. You can walk back in the direction the bus came from, past the Sentry Technotown, turn left before building 201 of another apartment complex, and that little alley should take you up to the gym.

Before you go, print out the name of the gym: 계남다목적체육관 and the name of the bus stop: 정랑고개

Let us know how it goes.

#69 event, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  10. pnvinh90

pnvinh90 Regular Member

student
    Thanks 4 the help. I found it.

11. event

event Regular Member

You didn't happen to go to Gyenam to play today, did you? If you had, you might have run into a Yonex event featuring the great Kim Dong Moon.

12. queenmillennia

He's not in Korea.
    Anyway, how's it with Koreans? Do they try to communicate with you in English or body language?
    Does the attitude toward a foreigner differ at which Dong you are playing?
    I thought Mokdong people are highly educated and have high fever of higher education
    and thus happily try to assosciate with foreigners if they have chances.

13. event

event Regular Member

Sorry, was that directed at me or pvinh? As for me, I have only ever communicated in Korean with badminton players and I have never played in Seoul.

14. queenmillennia

Of course, pvinh. You are a white, aren't you?

15. negon

negon Regular Member

engineer
    Hi guys,

Can any body help me. As i have read in the previous threads you have to be a member of a club to be able to play..
    Is it there any place possible for drop ins? Me and my friends want to play after office hours, preferably near yeoksam station(yeoksam-dong)..
    i have click the links that have been provided above but they are in korean..

If anyone can suggest which court is near yeoksam-dong which allows drop-ins or cheap registration, it would be highly appriciated.

Thanks,

16. event

event Regular Member

Hi. Are you talking long-term or short term? Many members here have just been in the area a short time and thus have managed to prevail on the hospitality of a local club for a few visits. I've found that works for up to 3 visits but if you are looking for somewhere more permanent, you'll likely need to join a club unless you can find a public facility, i.e. somewhere where the club doesn't pay rent for the courts, as is the case with school gyms. The only places I know of in Seoul are quite far from Yeoksam-dong, but then I don't know Seoul very well. Tanzent might be able to help you better. This place, where the Gangnam Club plays, might be public. It's not that close to Yeoksam either, though. Google Maps might help you.

Another might be here, where the Crowbar?/Clover? club plays. As for English, you are out of luck there. Find someone to help with the info given or work through the Korean yourself or another option might be, since you're looking for public facilities, to visit the Gangnam-gu 'Office' (강남구ì²*). They will have a list of public gyms in the Gangnam area and you should be able to find someone there who speaks English.

I'm interested in knowing what you can find in that area as I have a colleague who will be staying in Yeoksam-dong next week and playing badminton is on the to-do list. Several BC members have mentioned similar wishes, however, and I always end up coaxing them out to the 'burbs, where I know where one can find a game (and a heated gym).

17. negon

negon Regular Member

engineer
    Thanks for the info "event", we would definitely be playing long term. I guess joining the clubs would be the way to go.
    But just incase anyone know or can suggest a place where theres a per visit fee type of thing(no registration or anything, just pay every time we play), like the one below where Tanzent is playing.

Hope anyone knows something like that near seoul or yeoksam(5-10 stations from yeoksam would still be fine).

18. event

event Regular Member

I can certainly suggest something near Bojeong-dong, which shows in your location, but that's not what you asked for. You never know. Someone might know something for Yeoksam area.

19. negon

negon Regular Member

engineer
    Please do.. It would be favorable to me because i live there, it would be just a matter of convincing my colleagues..=)
    Hope they'll go with it..

20. negon

negon Regular Member

engineer
    anywhere the yellow line would be fine.. atleast for me.. hehehe..