Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gauravjain512

gauravjain512 New Member

Software Engineer
    I really enjoy watching Saina Nehwal. I am sure she will reach greater heights compared to her namesake. I hope sponsorship deals dont make her do ridiculous ads and she can concentrate on her game. Take care Saina and all the best for all the tournaments you appear in.

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ya...sure she will...welcome here...my friend...introduce urself here

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

3. anshulshirke

anshulshirke Regular Member

New Delhi: Badminton player Saina Nehwal is on a roll and is now ranked 12th in the world. This is the highest any Indian woman has ever reached in the world rankings.
    Saina returned home on Monday night after an impressive game at the Asian Grand Prix series.
    There were high expectations after her quarter final appearance at the Beijing Olympics and Saina lived up to it by winning the Chinese Taipei Grand Prix a few weeks ago.
    She crashed out in the first round of the Japanese Open but reached semi-finals of China Open last week.
    CNN-IBN spoke to a Saina in Hyderabad and she said that she is very happy after returning.
    [​IMG]
    “I am very happy about it. I never thought that I would reach 12 by September end. I was aiming at top 20 by the end of the year but now as I have reached 12, I am aiming at top 10 by the end of the year. It has been great five, six months for me. I have been playing well and I am beating good top players and I my game is improving. I play my best and I keep on improving my ranking,” says the victorious player.
    Saina also talked about her future plans mentioning the name of the tournaments she is preparing for.
    “Positive is that day by day I am improving my ranking which will really help me to get good draw in the future tournament and second thing is that I am getting to play good matches. Next year I'll be having good tournament like All England, Junior World Championship, so that will really help me to learn by playing with top players. These are the positive things that I have taken from them and one thing is that beating Julian in China was excellent match result, beating her with her hometown was unbelievable because the way the spectators were supporting her but still I was cool and I thought that I can do it. I was so focused that I had only one thought in my mind that I can win against it and I should beat world champion and I am really happy about it,” she adds.
    The badminton player said that she is working hard and won’t repeat the mistakes she did in her recent game.
    “Now, I will just working for two weeks and I have Commonwealth and Junior World Championship. For junior world championship I think I am pretty prepared for that but for future coming super series which is in November I have a good 20 days break after Junior Commonwealth Championship so I will see how to improve and how to play with those players, I will recollect at that time and hopefully I shouldn't repeat the same mistake which I did here.”

4. anshulshirke

anshulshirke Regular Member

New Delhi: Badminton player Saina Nehwal is on a roll and is now ranked 12th in the world. This is the highest any Indian woman has ever reached in the world rankings.
    Saina returned home on Monday night after an impressive game at the Asian Grand Prix series.
    There were high expectations after her quarter final appearance at the Beijing Olympics and Saina lived up to it by winning the Chinese Taipei Grand Prix a few weeks ago.
    She crashed out in the first round of the Japanese Open but reached semi-finals of China Open last week.
    CNN-IBN spoke to a Saina in Hyderabad and she said that she is very happy after returning.

“I am very happy about it. I never thought that I would reach 12 by September end. I was aiming at top 20 by the end of the year but now as I have reached 12, I am aiming at top 10 by the end of the year. It has been great five, six months for me. I have been playing well and I am beating good top players and I my game is improving. I play my best and I keep on improving my ranking,” says the victorious player.
    Saina also talked about her future plans mentioning the name of the tournaments she is preparing for.
    “Positive is that day by day I am improving my ranking which will really help me to get good draw in the future tournament and second thing is that I am getting to play good matches. Next year I'll be having good tournament like All England, Junior World Championship, so that will really help me to learn by playing with top players. These are the positive things that I have taken from them and one thing is that beating Julian in China was excellent match result, beating her with her hometown was unbelievable because the way the spectators were supporting her but still I was cool and I thought that I can do it. I was so focused that I had only one thought in my mind that I can win against it and I should beat world champion and I am really happy about it,” she adds.
    The badminton player said that she is working hard and won’t repeat the mistakes she did in her recent game.
    “Now, I will just working for two weeks and I have Commonwealth and Junior World Championship. For junior world championship I think I am pretty prepared for that but for future coming super series which is in November I have a good 20 days break after Junior Commonwealth Championship so I will see how to improve and how to play with those players, I will recollect at that time and hopefully I shouldn't repeat the same mistake which I did here.”

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Saina would move into the Top 10 World Ranking sooner than she thinks

Congratulations to Saina !!! :):):)

I think Saina would move into the Top 10 World Ranking sooner than she thinks.

6. rwg05

rwg05 Regular Member

She's at 11 now...

7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    SURPRISELY...no one congrates her in this thread...applause for saina...and sato sayaka also rising player...

8. fzustudents

fzustudents Regular Member

worker
    The China badminton commentator said ,Saina's parents were India badminton national champions.
    That means Saina was born in a badminton family , this reminds me of Wang Lin, they have somethings in common

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

because everyone already expected saina to beg this WJC title..
    no surprise at all..
    she had already made several upsets in some ss tournaments..

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i know...still...winning junior champion is something important...no like any ss title...even games title u can chase in another 2 years or 4 years...u will never able to win a world junior title again...;)

11. g1r1sh

g1r1sh New Member

i think you're not entirely correct.

I saw saina in a tv interview. her parents played badminton alright, but according to that interview, they played till state level, not national level.but yes, i agree, she's got the genes.and i hope she never gets a big head.

12. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Saina will be world number one in 3 years: Prakash Padukone
    BANGALORE: Saina Nehwal is a 'champion material' and in another three years, India can look forward to seeing a world number one in the Hyderabadi youngster, said legendary shuttler Prakash Padukone.

Seventeen-year-old Saina has most of the qualities a champion needs - physical, technical, mental and self-belief - the former All England Champion said.

"If she continues to work hard and remain focused, there is no reason why she can't reach the very top", Padukone, himself a former world number one and a World Cup winner, told here in an interview.

"It (Saina becoming world number one) is definitely possible. She is already at 11 (in world rankings) now. It's just a matter of time before she breaks into the top 10", he said.

"I think within a year, she is definitely capable of being in top five, and go on to even become number one may be in two-three years," he said.

This year has been an extraordinary one for Saina, who reached the quarterfinals in the Beijing Olympics and won the recent World Junior Badminton title.

"If she continues like this, she has got everything going right", Padukone said, terming her performance in the two events as impressive, creditable and commendable.

"One can look forward to some great performances from her in the future," he said.

Saina needs to plan her tournament schedule properly, Padukone said, advising her to be selective about tournaments and space them out in such a way that she gets enough time and rest and can work on her weaknesses in between.

Training for short stints abroad - may be in Malaysia or Indonesia - would be a good idea for her as such outings would help her familiarise more with the type of game that foreigners play.

"They (foreign players) play a different kind of game, compared to the Indians. So, that does not come as a surprise to you when you play them (If you have short training stints abroad)", Padukone said.

On her quarter-final defeat in Beijing Games, he said that was more due to lack of her experience. Saina was mentally very strong and had self-belief, which were the key factors.

"She believes now that she can beat the best in the world," Padukone said, but cautioned that she should also be prepared to face some defeats along the way as the other players would not give her titles on a platter.

"You have to be prepared mentally to face some reversals...may be one or two odd defeats will be there. That should not upset you", he said.

Source: http://sports.timesofindia.indiatim...number_one_in_3_years/articleshow/3719751.cms

#212 Sealman, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  13. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Saina Nehwal Inspires World Chess Champion

From The Telegraph of 22 November 2008:

Saina, Bindra fired me up, says Anand

New Delhi: World champion Viswanathan Anand on Friday said the series of successes by various Indian sportspersons had motivated him in defending his title against Vladimir Kramnik of Russia.

“I am really happy to see so much sporting success for India this year. Apart from cricket, I followed Abhinav Bindra and Saina Nehwal’s triumphs. In fact, that gave me a little bit of extra motivation to win again,” Anand said on his return to Chennai.

Anand arrived in Chennai to a tumultuous welcome in the wee hours of Friday and was greeted by a horde of fans and quote-hungry reporters.

This is his first visit home after retaining his title, his return to the country being delayed by illness. He will be taking a couple of months off and will play his next tournament in February.

Anand, who looked tired, was received by his mother Sushila at the airport.
    The large crowd that turned up overwhelmed him. “The reception and the enthusiasm of the fans is fantastic. I hope none of you gets killed in the melee,” he said.

The 38-year-old said he was proud of the thumping he gave former world champion Kramnik in the 12-game match — a format that is supposed to be the Russian’s forte.

“A three-point lead is unheard of, especially against a player like Kramnik,” he said, and admitted that his “opening preparations played a big part”.

“Games 3 and 5 were not only important wins but were also beautiful wins,” said Anand, referring to his three-point lead in Bonn last month.

Anand said he was also proud of his consistency and that he managed to peak at the right time because of which he reached the pinnacle of the game.

“I am pretty proud of my consistency. I have been in the top-three (in the world) from 1996... I also managed to peak in the right years which is very important,” he said.

Anand said he had not reached a cul de sac as far as the game was concerned. “I am still learning a lot about chess. I am enthusiastic about it and (still) motivated to play,” he told a news channel.

Asked about his legacy, Anand said, “I am happy and proud that I have contributed in making India a potential powerhouse in chess”.

Anand is the lone Grandmaster to win world titles in three formats — he won the 128-player knockout format in Teheran in 2000, the tournament format in Mexico in 2007 and the traditional match-play format last month.

14. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Aside:
    Does anyone know if Viswanathan Anand plays badminton? :)

15. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    huh???who is this guy???viswanthan anand???...forgive my naive...and tell me more about him...thanks...^^...

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

from india..
    the world chess champion;)

17. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Google has the answers, limsy.

And don't google for 'viswanthan anand'.
    Try this spelling: 'Viswanathan Anand' ;)

By the way, Anand is the only Chess Grandmaster to have won the World titles in all three formats — the 128-player knockout format, the regular tournament format and the traditional match-play format.

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    thanks...uncle old hand...hehesorry for off topic

19. alwaysloss

alwaysloss New Member

saina is now world no 10 officially, hope so she break into no 5 by this time next year.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Let's hope for Saina Nehwal to do better in 2009

:D:D:D Post#205 predicted it ... Let's hope for Saina Nehwal to do even better in 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.