Re: New badminton club in Scarborough

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Tornoni, Feb 19, 2010.

1. kris9

kris9 New Member

Is there any group playing in Woodbridge.

2. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

@ Hakular

I don't believe you mentioned that you brought your concerns/feedback to the owner directly.

You haven't made any suggestions as to resolve the issues.

Why do you have to keep playing there until Aug 2011???? If it is so bad then as a consumer you have a right to take your business elsewhere

It's not a certainty in life but most often you get what you pay for (facilities, crowded). Is there another dedicated badminton facility with drop in for/close to $7?

There ARE costs in life (especially for renting a large commercial space). I agree that maybe the owner did not accurately plan/forecast said costs but they exist regardless. The owner need to make a price adjustment so that HE is not paying for people to play badminton. With time almost everything becomes more expensive.

Drop in is for people who would like to play but do not have enough players/unable to plan ahead enough to rent a court and that's why it is crowded. It is VERY difficult to advise people ahead as to the number of people attending as drop in. Try getting people you know together to rent a court. Try calling just before you leave the house to see what the volume of people is like there.

I also don't think the karaoke idea is great but at least the owner is trying to improve. This is where your direct feedback would help him plan.

I'm not saying I totally disagree with your post but maybe try to be proactive first.

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Adidascanada:
    Why do you think it is necessary to teach the owner how he should run his business?
    Do you think it is necessary to remind him to issue a receipt for payments where he charges HST?
    Do you think it is necessary to point out to the owner that he must not over-commit on drop-in bookings to the almost exclusion of paid-up customers?
    Do you think it is necessary to ask the owner to turn up the heat on a cold winter day?
    Do you think it is necessary to remind the owner to actively manage the use of the courts if players are taking too long to begin the game, on a busy day?
    Why do you advise the customer to be proactive, when the same is to be expected of the owner? As far as I can tell, all the owner does is count the cash, and the customers to keep donating to this private charity. From everything that people have said so far on this thread, do you really think the owner gives a damn? Do you really think some of the customers would not have pointed out the shortcomings to the owner?
    BTW, a drop-in for a set period of 2-3 hours for $7 is ok, IF the facilities were on par with anywhere else: community centres, colleges, private clubs etc. But the facilities are NOT.

4. adidascanada

I didn't say what was being stated was untrue and illegitimate but suggesting that being part of the solution can help everyone.
    and Yes I do think it is necessary to remind and point things out to him. That is ALSO your right as a customer.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    And if things have been pointed out to him by some customer or other in the course of the time he has been in business, (as is very probable) what do you think he should be doing?

And if there is no reasonable response or correction in attitude or service, what do you think the customers should be doing? Saying thank you??? Or letting others know where they should NOT be going? Maybe informing CRA? Or some other agency for questionable business practises? Or the City commercial inspectors? That is also one's right as a (quite duped) customer.

My point is essentially this: Customers are not supposed to teach or educate a business owner about HIS responsibilities to the paying public. That is the typical kind of bull***t that "customer service" people are taught to hand out: spread the responsibility and blame. It doesn't work that way.

More realistically, I don't believe things have not been brought to the owner's notice. Or that he is so stupid that he doesn't know he is walking a very fine line of illegal action/inaction. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Being unconcerned about the quality of basic service and amenities is unforgivable, especially when he knows what elements go into creating a decent badminton facility, and he chooses to cut corners. He is not a child. He knows exactly what he is doing, and should be prepared for the consequences.

6. adidascanada

I'm not endorsing or justifying his business practices. I'm merely providing suggestions for resolution/improvement. Whether or not he is paying the CRA is pure speculation.
    A private business owner has NO responsibilty to the paying public and vice versa. He is not obligated to do it "our" way and we are not obligated to give him business.

7. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    @Hakular
    I think you're being too critical.
    Yes, they could install a premium heating system, they could make the lighting better, and they could be nicer people... but that requires money... They're essentially converting their savings into cheaper rates for clients (relative to mandarin/flying dragon).
    Priced at about half of what Mandarin charges for drop-in, it's an ideal venue for those who aren't too picky and want to save a few dollars.

You're acting like one of those people who buys a Hyundai, and starts complaining because it doesn't drive like a Mercedes.

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    But he is supposed to issue a receipt if he collects HST and especially so if the customer pointedly requests it. I don't believe he isn't "aware" of that...

Your point is taken in terms of finding amicable solutions, but there are instances where it may just be a waste of time. The evidence certainly suggests that. Unfortunately.

9. Hakular

Hakular Regular Member

In my opinion, we as the consumers, should not be advising the owner on how to run his own business. That is just stupid. Sure we have made "suggestions" to enhance our gaming experience, by turning on the heat, getting better heat, etc. But he has not listened to any of our demands because he is just like that. Cheap. Not our fault. Sure he can increase the price a little, but if he does so, he should be returning something to us (HEAT). I have to play until August 2011 because I bought an annual membership there, if you can re-read my post. Also, three courts should ALWAYS be left for drop-in players. You can't just assume there will be only a few drop-ins, and rent every court except one. That's so greedy. We should at least have three courts.

@urameatball, you can call the majority of the people who play there, critical as well. How many times have you been there?

#89 Hakular, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  10. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    Hakular's experience is definitely being shared by many others, including us who frequent there regular. You have a good point. As a customer that pay for their drop-in or court rental feels, we have the right to express our concerns to the establishment. So they can be looked at. With Agincourt, the owner is surely aware of the many shortcomings. Will they improve things around, only time will tell.

By the way, we just heard they are increasing the new rates again today. :)

11. urameatball

Photographer
    Been there 3 times.
    In all three cases, what you described is fairly accurate. court bookings are a mess, temperature was inadequate, customer service was sketchy at best, and the heater affected bird flight.

I also went in knowing I save myself $7+ by going to agincourt rather than mandarin, that playing without heat is okay as long as you don't rest for too long, and that a Hyundai is not a Mercedes.

And I will definitely go back to agincourt whenever I feel like playing some inexpensive badminton. Though I will occasionally head to FD or Mandarin if I'm feeling rich.

12. Hakular

Hakular Regular Member

I don't know why you keep refering back to mandarin badminton? Even school gyms are better than agincourt. Although they don't have badminton mats, the gym floor is still good to play on. AND, only 5 dollars or less, per drop-in session.

Hyundai may not be a Mercedes, but a bad business is still a bad business.

Btw, in that post, you said you would rather play in a bad badminton environment (you just listed every negative thing), and you said you would still play there.

13. urameatball

Photographer
    Yes, I will only play in bad environments. There is nothing positive to say about agincourt. Their courts suck, other places have more courts than they do, their ceilings are low, their ridiculously expensive, nobody likes the place so it's never busy, and they're never open when I want them to be.

I should never have argued with a high-school kid over the internet, cuz they're always right. Sorry.

14. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

Its always you get what you pay for, which in this case one has to expect less given the price. However, the way the owner decided to raise price while cutting corners whenever possible is over the top.

I played there twice but wont go back again. The lighting is poor, no heat really, and not enuf clearance height wise and btwn courts.

Compared to community centres/high school gym pricing isnt fair either, those are subsidized by tax money.

15. frankbaozhu

frankbaozhu Regular Member

I think anyone who loves badminton will not go there. The owner is kind of guy who does not care your feelings. All he wants is money. I went there a few days ago for a drop-in. He said it is holiday season so the price is 7 dollars, which is ok. What is outrageous he put more than 16 people for a court!!!! You have to wait 45 mins to play a 15 mins game and there is no heating. And what is worse, he kept getting drop-ins.

Typical Chinese business owner. Maximize short term profit and care nothing about customers. I am quite ashamed of him even though I am a Chinese myself.

Just don't go there.

16. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

Can't say I agree with that.

For me, the owner has been a nice guy overall. For example; 1) he would come to us and tell us we can play for free after the renting expires- if there are free courts. 2) he gathers feedback and ideas by his own desire, seemingly willing to "make agincourt better". 3) he always tell helpful truths if you asks, eg. "are there alot of ppl in drop-in tonight"?, "are there good players?".

I can see why people don't like the coldness, lighting, and organization of agincourt, but the owner is actually a pretty nice person, if you get to talk to him.

FYI, if you plan to drop-in, it's a good idea to pick up the phone and give him a call.

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    And you don't see any contradiction here?? :)

18. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

no love for agincourt open?!
    i like the place
    mainly cuz it's close by and it's cheap (compared to mandarin and lee's)
    the only things i have against the place is the heater (behind the court closest to the counter)
    it keeps blowing on the shuttle!
    and the poor lighting
    if you don't mind the poor lighting, and bring an extra sweater with you during winter to play, i'd highly recommend it

19. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

Not at all.

Coldness > put on a jacket while waiting
    Lighting > i think it's acceptable, better than some HS gym
    Organization > becareful about drop-in, catastrophy can be avoided by simplying calling to ask beforehand

Overall, I always had fun either competitively or leisureily. So, I'm kinda surprised by all the haters here... :D

20. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

Good to know you're not joining in the bitching-party, brian! wahahah~