Racquet Recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by catherinem, Apr 18, 2012.

1. catherinem

catherinem Regular Member

Thanks Aymara, wonderful advice.

I've been hunting around and haven't been able to find many shops here. I've only seen some of the high end Yonex racquets. It's quite unfortunate really, how unpopular badminton is here. I'd definitely prefer to buy a racquet from a shop and test it out. Maybe i'll just put it off until I go overseas, which really.. won't be happening anytime soon.

I did read Paul's racquet choice article! Good and informative but not too helpful in the terms that i'd have to try one out personally.

2. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

It isn't that big a deal really!!! Sometimes, we BC'rs love to make a mountain out of a mole hill! As a beginner with no specific preference, you can actually play with just about any racket and given time, you will obviously get used to it. What you should know is that there are certain rackets which will frustrate you more as a beginner and there are some which you'll get used to sooner.

My advice, stay away from rackets advertised as ""Stiff", Extra Stiff" etc. Get a racket less than 85 gm (In yonex series that will mean 4U). Even the addition of Overgrip on a Babolat racket will increase the weight by around 2gm or so. On the Babolat X-feel Essential, that will still come under 90gms, which is good. Also generally it is better for a beginner to start with an Even balanced racket because that way, over time, one tends to understand his/her strengths and weaknesses. After sometime if you feel that you like defending more, playing more deft touches and drops and net shots etc. then your next racket should be a head light one. On the other hand, if you find yourself enjoying the feeling of ripping the shuttle by smashing at any given opportunity, then your obvious choice for the next racket will be a head heavy one with a stiffer shaft!
    Sometimes too many opinions also cloud your mind and confuse you more than before. Just go with your gut feeling... If you like how a racket looks like ;), the specs are in the average category then just go for it! Badminton is a beautiful game and you'll enjoy it no matter what!:)
    Happy playing!!!

3. catherinem

catherinem Regular Member

I'll see how it goes! Thanks a lot everyone, learnt heaps and I now have a good idea on what type of racquet to look out for. :)

4. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

Sorry, but I have a different opinion ... I find 3U (85-89g) more suitable for a beginner. I think, both a very heavy and a too light racket bare the risk of arm injuries for beginners.

But your hint about an even balance is good.

I still have the opinion, that the Babolat Satelite (!) Essential would be a great choice, if the grip size fits.

The Babolat grips are similar to Yonex G4 and yes, they are shorter, because of the Pilot System. I myself love this Pilot System, others hate it.

But if Catherine find's out, that Babolat grips are too thin for her hand, attaching a thicker grip tape will result in a head light racket, because it's originally balanced. We put a thicker grip tape on my sweetheart's old Wilson V4 ... originally really head heavy, it's now balanced.

BTW, my girlfriend bought a Victor Inside Wave 3500 ... good racket for beginners ... easy to maneuver though head heavy. And the grip size is noticable thicker than on Babolats.

That's why I highly recommend checking grip sizes in a shop !!!