Vibration Dampener

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Yipom, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

I wanna ask what really do these do?
    does it improve ur performence?
    Where can i get one in Vancouver?

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You might find a little bit information from here: http://www.racketsupply.com/vibration_dampener.htm

However, after my friend tried it (don't know which brand/model), he claims that his racket feels like totally dead, and he could not get the "feeling" to gain accurate shot.

3. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I agree, I think they are more for the tennis market. If you want to dampen vibrations try adding another grip or lowereing your tension

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    badminton requires a lot of delicate touches and control, the vibration is actually a good thing if it is not excessive.

i once tried putting some foam thingy in between the middle two main strings, yeah, sure, there was no vibration, but there was also no feel at all.

if you are really interested in how it will worsen your game, you don't need to spend the money, just find a old piece of foam or styrofoam or even a light piece of plastic, stick it between the middle two main string right above the T-joint, it works just as well as the $5-10 stuff you buy from the store.

5. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    You also can try to use a rubber band to tight the two centre main strings. Same effect, but only cost less then ten cents.

I have tried it on my frisher Pro one, really work.

6. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

try this

if you wanna get less sound ( your opponent won't ear your smash commin), tie an elastics in the two main.

lol no sound at all, that so funny

but if you wanna get a big Bad raWWWW from your racquet just put a scotch tape about 1 inch in the two main, in both side so they hold each other. Now your racquer make twice the sound it maked

7. I like to smash

I like to smash Regular Member

A+ Student
    I am sorry, I don't really get the how to get the rawww sound, can you show me a picture:p? I want to try it, hehe. I don't get the part where you have to put a scotch tape about 1 inch in the two main in both side...:confused:

8. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

a guy from our group plans to use a squash racquet dampener.
    we stuck it in, and it fitted perfectly. getting it back out was a little bit more trouble.

if i can get around to trying it, i will let you know. :)

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Still don't understand why you need vibration dampners for badminton, surely a 4g shuttle can't cause that much vibration (compared with a squash or tennis ball)?

Watch out for those types of dampner flying off the racket strings mid rally, it's happened in our club where a worldly wise player decided to use the tennis ones but lo and behold they forgot to take into account the difference in the thickness of the strings :rolleyes: and it came flying over the net with the shuttle after a smash :eek:

10. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

me neither.
    i like the vibrations, actually.
    but trying it for fun sure wont' hurt!

i'm sure it won't fly off, since its a peice of circular rubber with indentations shaped like an H in the middle. the top and bottom gaps are where the strings to, and we were afraid of snapping the strings trying to get it back out the first time.

11. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

a pict should make it clear

[​IMG]

but here are easy step to make it

1- pull out 1 inch of tape
    2- scotch it on the string bed (see picture)
    3-turn the racquet
    4- repeat step 1 to 2

12. I like to smash

I like to smash Regular Member

A+ Student
    Thank you, this really helps, now I can make a raww sound:D

13. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Strange. The one of the selling points of the new Yonex NS 8000 is that it could damp the vibration faster.

So, is there an objective standard to evaluate to what extent the vibration is necessary(or excessive) to the touch and control?

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that is a good point. like most things in badminton, too much or too little of something is usually not good. a racket that is too light isn't good; a racket that is too heavy isn't good either. i think that's the same for vibration, too much is bad, and so is too little.

and like most things in badminton, what is the "best" level is a personal preference, i personally prefer to feel a bit more vibration to gain the feel. Yonex certainly thinks that most people prefer to have lesser vibration and turn that into their marketing chip.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    in doubles, when u pounding the shuttles, touch and good feel isn't really paramount :p

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    but when you are at the net, it helps to have a bit more feel.

it is a compromise, like many things in life. :)

17. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    i've comprimised too much in my life, time to let loose with the RAWWWW sound benasp is talking about. lol.

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Try to get a used bicycle or truck inner tube, which is usually butyl rubber. This is the best elastomer for dampening. Cut 4 tiny pieces and place in between the empty spaces on the outside of the frame, one each between grommets 1 and 2 (right side and left side) and between grommets 3 and 4 (right side and left side), at the throat end.
    This will work wonders and it doesn't add even 0.2g of weight. The only problem is you can only do this when you re-string your racquet. However, if your tension is low, you can try to use an awl to raise the string between the grommets and then insert the butyl pieces cut from the inner tube. :D

19. therayzin

therayzin Regular Member

high schooler
    RAwwr sound

it soudns quite metallic with soft touches and when i smash it hard it has a nice sound. People thought i was trying to dampen the vibrations though hahahaha. ..

20. Super~ME!

Super~ME! Regular Member

student
    ...haha...it sounds like an alternative to playing with high tension since you're performance shouldn't change, but the high tones and loud noises will make you and maybe others think that you are playing at a high tension when you're only playing at something around 21 pounds:p

...and also...don't know if this has been discussed before, but i was wondering...would a dampener help prevent injuries since less shock would be absorbed by the arm, elbow, and shoulder? i find that this is sometimes a problem when i participate in tournaments that are divided between two or three days. like...the first day i'm fine...then the next morning i'm kinda sore and i tend to restrict my movement and power in shots and get lazy...as a result...i look pretty clueless on the courts:eek: