2007 USAB Team USA Trials at GGBC!!!

Discussion in 'Golden Gate Badminton Club ( GGBC ) (CLOSED)' started by GGsally, Jan 4, 2007.

1. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

GGBC is very very proud to announce that we have been granted hosting privilege for The 2007 USAB Team USA Trials on February 2nd , 3rd and 4th , 2007! We are extremely excited and looking forward to this incredible event. We extend a sincere invitation to all of our members and anyone who truly has a passion for Badminton to come and witness the most amazing roster of phenomenal players across the USA playing right before your eyes! We hope you will not miss this most exclusive event. We will post the draws online as soon as we get them from our Director, Chris Lawrence. See you here for the experience of a lifetime! If you want to check out more information please go to http://www.usabadminton.org/ and click on 'Events"! :D :D :D :D :D

2. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    is there an admission price to watch?

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this is really cool. congratulations to GGBC for obtaining the hosting rights!

are there any words on when the draw will be published?

4. GGManagement

GGManagement Regular Member

National Trials Draws and Fees for WATCHING!

Hi there EVERYONE!!

We are very excited to announce that there will be NO FEES charged to watch this exciting event so please don't miss this chance! We'd love to have a great, whooping, cheering audience to come and support USA's best players so tell all your buddies to come on down to GGBC on Feb 2nd to 4th. With your support, we're sure they will get all revved up to play their best and most aggressive games! We do hear Howard Bach is on the list of applicants but we don't want to confirm until we do get his application on the registry so watch out for the draws which will be posted on our site and here too.We do know that we will look forward to the finest atheletes on those days and we will welcome them with open arms! :D :D :D! GGBC is so happy and grateful to get the bid for the National trials and once again obtained support from Yonex. Mike also asked Chris Lawrence to come with his great directing skills and has agreed to spend a small fortune bringing in the umpires from GG / UCB Open last year! With the performance of past partnership between Mike and Chris, we can expect this event will be conducted with the best people in the most professional fashion. So all you have to do is come and enjoy the games!

BTW, our food court upstairs will be open for munchies and yummy drinks so you won't even have to bring your lunch or eat it elsewhere first!

Regards, GG Management!

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this is awesome!

any words of Tony and Halim entering?

any BC MEMBERS planning to enter?

i already asked for a day off on Friday so i won't miss any action. (i am serious)

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^^We'll be waiting for your pics...^^^

:)hehehe:D;)
    ..as usual, we'll be waiting for those pics with much anticipation..;) :cool:

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    tsk tsk tsk. home come you assume i am there to take photos instead of playing in the trials?!

yeah right. :)

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Because...

...who else will take those pics and share them here, if it's not you??..hehe:p :D ;) :cool:

9. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Tony G

Sorry haven't heard any word yet but we will keep all fingers crossed. I do believe Tony should be pretty busy though. When we met for lunch with Eti last time in HKG he said he had a very full schedule this year so I'm not sure. He is playiing alot of partnership with Chandra. They will play in all the opens this year. At that time we hadn't secured the team trials so I couldn't FORCE him to give me his word he would come! Ha ha...:D
    Sally

10. GGManagement

Howard B officially CONFIRMED!!

Hi Everyone,

"THE BACH" has officially confirmed to Mike that he is very much looking forward to the Trials in SFO and in GGBC in February. We have confirmed most of the OCBC players so it will be very exciting for sure! Please come out to show your support for our USA team and for Badminton. Let's do our best to make Badminton as popular as any other racquet sport in the US of A! :D

Yours Truly, GG Management!

11. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Ggbc Business And Court Schedule For Trials

Our National Trials are approaching very soon and Howard Bach, winner of 2005 Men’s Doubles World Championship for USA, is confirmed to play!! Tony Gunawan is also coming to support his students and both will be giving a Clinic on the last day of finals, Sunday, Feb 4th, (please see details in another thread here on our forum) We are very very happy to hear this news and hope everyone will have understanding and patience for the availability of the courts on the dates of the tournament which is Feb 2nd to 4th, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. This is a very important event for GGBC and we really encourage members and guests to come on out in droves to support the players of all the Top National Players of USA. They will ALL be vying for the top seed ranking they need for the prestigious 2007 Sudirman Cup! Please come out to support them because this is the FIRST time these trials have been granted outside of Los Angeles so GGBC is very honored to achieve this recognition by the USBA (USA Badminton Association) and want to show our great support to their final destination!

Please note the court availability from Feb 2nd to Feb 4th, 2007:

Friday, Feb 02, 2007 :
    10am to 6pm: ALL courts will be OPEN for OPEN PLAY by Members / Guests / lessons.
    6pm to 11pm:
    5 courts will be used for Trial Tournament. 3 courts will be OPEN for lessons / members / guest / or competing players warm up and practice.

Saturday, Feb 03, 2007 :
    ALL DAY: 5 courts will be used for Trial Tournament. 3 courts will be OPEN for lessons / members / guest / or competing players warm up and practice.

Sunday, Feb 04, 2007 :
    Open to 12pm: 5 courts will be used for Trial Tournament. 3 courts will be OPEN for lessons/members / guest/ or competing players warm up and practice.
    12pm to 6pm: ALL courts OPEN for play.

GGBC will close at 6:00pm on Sunday Feb 4th, 2007

**Please note that all courts for OPEN play will be subject to queuing and availability because of lessons and also National competitors using those courts for their warm up and practise.

** Door opening and game commencement time on Saturday and Sunday are to be confirmed depending on the draws which will be revealed closer to trial date.

If you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to call us at the club 650 838 9318. Thank you for your kind understanding and patience.

Best Regards, GG Management

12. kineda

kineda Regular Member

Founder Kineda.com
    What time will the trials begin on Saturday and Sunday?

Is there a schedule of when event (ie. MD, MS, XD, etc.) is happening?

13. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

TRIAL Schedule / draws and Tony Howard Clinic

Hello,

At this point, our Director Chris is still receiving entries. We are told we have a fantastic turnout for this tourny so we are very excited!:eek: :D Once the entries are all received and deadline is past, I'm sure Chris will send us his roster and we will post here so please keep an eye on our page and stay tuned.

As for Howard and Tony's clinic, we are still finalising prices. We want to find out how much they would like to charge but Tony is in Korea playing in the Finals I believe and it is hard for him to get on internet and phone to communicate with Mike so we are finalising their schedules and prices as well. Please keep in touch and we will keep you on the minute updated as possible! Thank you for your patience.

Regards, Sally

14. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Just curious, the title "Team USA Trials" sounds like for a tournament for any new players who want to join Team USA. But aren't Tony Gunawan and Howard Bach already the backbone of Team USA? :confused:

15. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Usa Team Trials

Any player on the USA team must have US Citizenship. Tony was given a grant to represent US last time. I don't know if this can continue and don't know if he has received his US ID. Alot of good players are not qualified cos they don't have the US citizenship. Our own Coach GG Chandra cannot play cos he is not US Citizen :( .Tony is now busy teaming up with ole buddy Chandra Wijaya playing many International Opens all over the world and they marathon tourny next year cos this is the first year BWF has managed to obtain huge sponsorship worth millions of dollars. I think it's called the World Series. Correct me if I'm wrong. My memory stinks :cool: . I think Tony is still at odds on who he will play for, but surely Chandra is his good buddy and they said they really enjoy great chemistry together. They have been friends since young training in INdonesia. They are quite the team and pretty much can beat the best of them. I think their biggest competitors are the 2 China Men's Doubles guys, Fu and the other great player (forgot name):rolleyes: . Tony is coming to GGBC to oversee his own students in OCBC. He won't be playing and he is coming to GGBC after just returning from Korea (he's there now actually and told Mike very tired but doing very well) and then he is off to All England to compete on March 6th. With all the jetlag this can be exhausting! :( Howard will be playing. Everyone else will be vying to represent US in the Sudirman Cup 2007. Sorry, that's all I know, don't know if it answers your question!

Sally

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

You are probably correct..

Sally, thanks for sharing a bit of info to the rest of BC members. As i think not all of us know much abt abt the qualification requirements needed to represent the U.S. in BWF's sanctioned events..
    ..Re Tony's status, yes, he was given a special grant to represent the U.S. to play in 2005 WC as well as the U.S. Sudirman Cup team event. He also participated in last yr's U.S. Thomas Cup team..I believe those 3 events + the Olympics require a person to have a citizenship(or somekind of a special grant just like what Tony had)..;)
    ..Re the current BWF's tourney is called the Super Series..and there will be a yr ending Final Grand Prix(location is still undecided)..;)
    Off topic: About Tony's decision to play for INA again this yr & next yr, yes, it was mentioned in this forum also(more like a player-for-hire deal). And abt his partnership w/Candra's this yr, well, as you may know, they failed to win either the MO or KO. I think their "biggest competitors" are not only CHN's MD, but all the young, up & coming pairs from KOR, MAS even INA. Cos as we were watching them play in those 2 tourneys, we can tell that their bodies are not as young as before, esp. playing against a much younger opponents, if you know what i mean.. hehe:p :( :crying::D ;)
    Nonetheless, I know it won't be easy and like you mentioned, it will be quite exhausting with all the travels. But hopefully in the upcoming All-England tourney, he and Candra will be refreshed & can taste that sweet victory once again..:p :D :cool:[​IMG]
    (Btw, sorry, i just read in another thread that you are currently in S'pore and won't be attending next week's tourney @ GGBC..hmm, what a bummer:p)

#16 ctjcad, Jan 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  17. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Can you believe it? Seems everytime something fantastically exciting happens in GGBC, I'm missing it!!! :cool: :cool: . This is MOST devastating!! Of course I am looking forward to Singapore cos I really miss all the fans there but GEEZZZZ, I cannot stand to miss such an event at GGBC! I'm TOTALLY jealous of all that can go see this. I really want to be a part of it!! :crying: Mike is so exhausted arranging all of this stuff. First the G2 Cup and then the planning of the trial. It's really alot of work. But we have a great team. We always work together as a team and we love it. Mike is high on promoting team effort.

Anyways, OH I didn't know Tony and Chan lost. Oh geez :( . He must be so tired and he has promised Mike to do our Clinic. Ooops. Yes this job is a limited one isn't it? The back tide pushes the front and age is your worst enemy. They are such legends but who can escape the inescapable? Those young & fresh jumping beans. You just cannot out jump them. Your experience and technique works for you to a point, and then the physical pounding take you to the finish line. This is same for music too but of course we get the odd Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett whose talents defy their age and they just keep getting better and better! But I cheer for Tony and Chandra cos they are that good and they are just two great and nice guys!:D

Sally

18. GGManagement

Usa Team Trial Draws Coming Soon!

GG will be posting the draws and schedules for the USA Trials within the next two days here at BC. Thank you for your patience. Apparently the turn out is FANTASTIC and a wave of last minute entries have prompted us to recruit more umpires! Alas... the cream of the crop of USA players! It will be a great tournament as we have our unfallible Director Chris Lawrence once again and of course, our Captain, Mike Yang. Please do stay tuned. GG is also itching to find out WHO will play WHO and WHO is coming! Let's give them our support and cheer them on :D ! With your whooping and cheering, I'm sure we will get their adrenalines pumping!

Regards, GG Management :D !

#18 GGManagement, Jan 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  19. GGManagement

Usa Team Trial Draws Coming Soon!

GG will be posting the draws and schedules for the USA Trials within the next two days here at BC. Thank you for your patience. Apparently the turn out is FANTASTIC and a wave of last minute entries have prompted us to recruit more umpires! But only the cream of the crop from USA. It will be a great tournament as we have our unfallible Director Chris Lawrence once again and of course, our Captain, Mike Yang. Please do stay tuned. GG is also itching to find out WHO will play WHO and WHO is coming! Let's give them our support and cheer them on :D ! With your whooping and cheering, I'm sure we will get their adrenalines pumping!

Regards, GG Management :D !

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Thanks for sharing a bit more update..^^

...sounds exciting!!:cool:...GGBCManagement, just wondering, how many slots are the USAB looking to fill for its National team??..Will it be the same number of slots as in previous yrs?? Or are they expanding??..:confused: ;)