Yonex stiffness

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by otterfun, Nov 20, 2007.

1. otterfun

otterfun Regular Member

financial analyst
    Hi I am enjoying my Carbonex 30 ms tremendously. Very nice sweet feel.

But I am also wondering if I need to downgrade on the shaft stiffness from stiff to medium.

For Cab 30ms, the smashes and passes are strong and fast when I hit the sweet spot 80% of the time. But as in all oval, off-center hits are just lethargic.

I am mainly a pass and smash person. I am learning to do the backcourt passes. A good pass (back) and smash (mid & front court) from me reaches the area right before or between the 2 back court lines the backcourt right before the inner back line (my side).

I read from BC product review and got the impression that even though Yonex says the Cab 30ms staff is stiff, it feels more like a medium-stiff shaft. Is it true ?

May I have some comparison based on playing experience on the staff stiffness (least stiff to stiffest) on the following rackets which complements my style ?

1. Yonex Carbonex 30 ms (Stiff per Yonex)
    2. Yonex Armortec 900 T (Stiff per Yonex)
    3. Yonex Armortec 500 (Stiff per Yonex)
    4. Yonex Nano 7000 (Stiff per Yonex)
    4. Yonex Nano 9000 S (Stiff per Yonex)
    5. Yonex Nano 7700 (Medium per Yonex)

2. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    I would probably rank them as so: (from stiffest to least stiff)
    ~NS9000S
    ~AT900T
    ~AT500
    ~NS7000/ CAB 30MS
    ~NS 7700

As for this comparision, I think CAB 30MS and NS 7000 feels almost the same, only the fact that CAB 30MS feels head heavier balance than NS7000. As for AT500, I'm ranking this one there based on my experience with it about 2 years ago, so I may be wrong on that one, but it felt stiffer than the NS rackets with the exception of NS9000S.

Since you're using the CAB 30, and I assume you do like the racket, NS7000 is pretty easy to transition to. I personally haven't tried out the NS7700, so I can't talk about that.

I personally play with the CAB 30 as my main racket, so I feel it's stiff, but not to the point where it's medium stiff. I don't think it's necessary to find another racket or downgrade your stiffness of your racket. Just curious, do you have strong smashes with the CAB 30? If you do, then you probably don't need lower stiffness, because you have enough power to wield the racket. Generally I'd say the stronger your wrist/arm strength is, the stiffer the racket you pick should be. And there's also the factor of head-heavyness of the racket, but it seems you like the slightly head heavy type so far from the rackets you have chosen to compare.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) do not give up on Cab30ms yet.
    2) what string do you use and what tension?
    3) do you use overgrip?

FYI, Cab30ms has a very stiff shaft. I can tell you the Cab30ms shaft has same stiffness as MP99 Also, I can tell you that Cab30ms shaft stiffness is between AT900t and AT900p The difference is because the shaft is longer for Cab30ms than AT900.

4. otterfun

otterfun Regular Member

financial analyst
    No, not giving up, but figuring out what's comparable out there or if I should get another Cab 30ms if this one breaks. I love my Cab 30ms for sure.

I use BG80 at 25# which I like a lot and I no longer see the trampoline effect on my strings as well as the shaft flexing forward at impact as compared to my mp21.

I have a feeling the flex of my Cab 30ms and the strings are a pretty good combo so far but just want to run it by the experts here.

I use Gamma Pro Wrap over-grip on my grip.
    Nice velvety feel but gets frayed and harder after 5 hours of play.

5. otterfun

otterfun Regular Member

financial analyst
    Thanks for your info, hybridragon, much appreciated.:)