Stringing single pass grommets

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ryeung, Feb 4, 2008.

1. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

This may be obvious to some of you but how do you handle pushing a cross string in a grommet that is hidden by a main string? Obviously pre-weaving is a solution but I have tried it a number of times and just don't like doing it that way.
    Any suggestion to open the grommet hole without damaging the main string?

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

do a search on dental floss.

3. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Which grommets are you referring to?

4. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I have used the floss technique on shared grommets. Haven't tried it with the single pass grommets yet. I think I may still need to move the string out of the way cause it seems to completely cover the hole. It is a bit of a pain to have to use floss though.

5. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I am talking about those single pass grommets that have a strung main string crossing it thus covering the hole. I can use an awl to move it out of the way a bit but one slip and you can gouge the frame.

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Someone (I think gollum) used an longer old string, insert it between the string and frame before you tension the main. So when you get to the single pass grommet, just pull both ends of the old string up so the string can get through.

7. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

may I ask why you're putting two strings through a single pass grommet? Extra cross at head?

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    He did not ask to put extra strings for a single gormment. What he meant, is a "cross only" single gromment (i.e. top part of AT800) is blocked by a main string. ;)

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Get a round point awl, which is much safer than a shart point awl. Also, a bit nail can help too. ;)

10. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I did use an awl and it worded ok. I still don't like having to dig at the string to move it out of the way. Just wondering if there was a better way to do this.

11. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

Sounds like a good idea. I tried using a grommet to use as a spacer and that worked. Really crushed the grommet and I had to pull quite hard to get it out. I will have to remember to try the string trick the next time I string a single pass grommet racket.

12. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    I use a awl and works fine. Only problem Ive ever had was ended up busting the string. Wait....Ive also busted a grommet from pushing an awl to agressively through a grommet :D

13. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    For NS and AT single-pass grommets, cut the tip of the cross at a very steep angle. Use finger to push down the main string that is obstructing the cross-grommet hole. Insert the sharp-tip cross string. It takes a while to get used to this method.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Don't use an awl. How about using the string mover? If you know how to use it you will not have to use an awl or dental floss. It is also very safe with no nicks on strings or frame.

15. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

If the single pass grommets on top frame are the same for Arc7 as to NS and AT, then I would use a needle-nose plier to carefully guide the string through the grommet.

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

When you try to pass another string through a grommet that already has a string in it, the crux of the problem is the size of the space or hole. If it is visible and big enough to pass another string through, then the grommet hole is big enough. Using an awl forces some space to be made available but when the metal awl and the other inhouse string are forced into each other, you have heat, which will either weaken the string or snap it and may even in the process nick or damage the grommet. Cutting the leading edge of the string diagonally makes the entry string a little smaller which will have a better chance than a thicker edge. Using dental floss forces the entry without excessive friction but is time consuming. Using the string mover properly, and correctly oriented without shifting the stress forces of the mounted frame, is better and it does it without any friction, simply because the string mover will give you that space or hole for frictionless entry.

17. STRING

STRING Regular Member

Slide thru an independant string under the main string at either side of the hidden grommet. Hold both end of the string and gently pull the main string either up or down. It will open up the covered cross grommet. Just insert the cross string into the grommet and go on with your stringing job!! Hope this help.

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

This will be like rubbing one string with another which could sheer off some coating or even make some very fine cuts on the main string.

19. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Is it so much worse than tensioning the crosses. All those strings rubbing against each other - it's a wonder the string survives at all :rolleyes:

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, it is much worse because sometimes you need to pull the main string way out of alignment with the independent string, which itself needs to be bent back so that the two ends of the independent string are pulled together. This may give a sawing effect on the main. It would be better to have something bigger, rounder and smoother, preferably with a hook, like a string mover, to enusure that any contact with the main is as frictionless as possible. The string mover fits this to a T.