China want BWF to adjust international calendar

Discussion in '2009 Tournaments' started by hcyong, Apr 24, 2009.

1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Source: The Star April 25, 2009 (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2009/4/25/sports/3769399&sec=sports)

China want BWF to adjust international calendar

BEIJING: China hope badminton’s international schedule can be adjusted to prevent clashes with the new Chinese professional league, which is set to be re-launched later this year.

China, the dominant power in the sport, have said the domestic league would inevitably see some of their top players skipping international tournaments.

“Certainly what I hope is that the BWF (Badminton World Federation) in the end can organise their event schedule more reasonably in accordance with our league,” China head coach Li Yongbo told reporters on Thursday.

The BWF, who are concerned that there will be more withdrawals after China pulled all of their players out of last season’s first Super Series Finals, said last month they wanted to talk to Chinese officials on the issue.

But Yongbo, whose team will defend their Sudirman Cup title in Guangzhou next month, said they had so far had no communication with the world governing body. — Reuters

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    1. I thought the Chinese league should schedule its own league around the international calendar, not the other way around.

2. Typical BWF inaction. Said they will talk, but have not initiated anything.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    seems a bit arrogant on the Chinese side to have BWF re-arrange their calendar for their own internal league.

most European players participate in very well established leagues in Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, etc. i wonder how they managed to cope.

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Yes & No. Yes maybe arrogant to adjust tournament schedule, but the story doesn't say how it wants to adjust the schedule, they may be minor changes.

In Cricket the IPL has somewhat forced the ICB to change the international cricketing calendars. Money talks......

Can anyone spread any light (in a new thread) about what this League involoves? It is offering mind boggling sums of money to the players? Will non-chn players play? Who are the sponsors? Who is the organiser??

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    This CPL is to promote the development of Badminton in China

Personally, I congratulate China for launching this Chinese Professional League (CPL). If this CPL can be televised worldwide, surely our less known Badminton would benefit from it.

It is expected that this CPL to be a seasonal one (not year-round). If true, then it could cause some CHN top players skipping BWF tournaments when it is being held.

Li Yongbo stated that this domestic league is not only for CHN players. He said that he would be inviting the best international non-Chinese players to participate in it. So, if there are top non-Chinese interested in this CPL, we would inevitably see more top players skipping international tournaments organised by the BWF.

One of the reasons to hold the CPL is to promote the development of Badminton in China.

BWF, on the other hand, is intended to promote Badminton worldwide. With their different aims/objectives, it won't be easy for BWF to decide if they should adjust their international tournament schedule.

IMHO, BWF will be waiting to see how many top international non-Chinese players would be participating in this CPL. If many, BWF would adjust their schedule. If few, it is expected that no change would take place.

On the other hand, top international non-Chinese players are waiting to see if BWF would adjust their schedule. If yes, they would participate in this CPL. If no, they might do otherwise.

We shall be eagerly awaiting to see how BWF would respond.

chris-ccc

#5 chris-ccc, Apr 25, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    So the organiser is the CBA? Is there any sponsor?

In this case I think the description of it being a professional league is a bit far fetched - to me professional means being supported entirely by sponsors not National associations. (Like the IPL in cricket) being that it is also looking like a one off event at a particular time of year I don't think this should affect the calendar too much.

Any more details?

7. LingLing

LingLing Regular Member

Definitely fully sponsored,and we can see many live show on CCTV-5 during the last seasons:)

And I hope it can attract more huge sponsors in this new and promoted :Dseason

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Thanks...so are there any foreign players? and who is/are the sponsors?

Also anyone any news on the response to the request to BWF?