Anyone own/try the Hawk 16?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by TNBRE, Aug 14, 2009.

1. TNBRE

TNBRE Regular Member

Student
    (Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere, feel free to give the link to
    me)

Lately, stringing fees have been getting to be too much. So much, in fact, that my dad is thinking of buying a machine. The hawk 16 (by Eagnas) caught his eye because it was really cheap. We're pretty nooby players, and we string our rackets up to 25 lbs. The hawk 16 has 2 support points and is a drop-weight machine. Would the machine do what we need it to do (ie string up to 25 lbs) without maiming our rackets?:confused: If you could give me some advice or show me to a post with this information, I'd gladly appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance!​

2. Tim1456

Tim1456 Regular Member

Clerk
    No problem it would work. Only thing is it only do badminton. I have a gamma x-2. I do my rackets at 25 - 27.5 without problem.

But It takes 1 hour and 20 minutes for me to do a good quality job at that machine. You save about 12 dollar labor for a string job. So not a big money saving there.

3. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    dont forget to get flying clamps
    i use to use the klippermate and i used 2 hiqua and 2 yonex flying clamps :D
    for me drop weight takes about an hour

4. Tim1456

Tim1456 Regular Member

Clerk
    hawk 16 is a badminton only machine. It comes with two badminton flying clamp.

5. aloy66

aloy66 Regular Member

Any reviews from Hawk 16 owners? Any issue with their grippers?

6. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

mid-life crisis no? =P

7. aloy66

aloy66 Regular Member

Nope. Just bored.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I believe the Eagnas flying clamps may not be reliable when you get up to tension such as 25. Yonex and/or HQ are proven to be better.

Personally, I still believe Klipper M140 is overall a better machine (while still very affordable). The difference is very just a few rackets job away. In a long run, I think it's a wise "upgrade" for a 2 point machine. ;)

9. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Klipper M140 is a great machine. I'm finally practiced enough with it that there is zero warping on the frame. It only took me about 6 string jobs. I'm still running about an hour 40 min, with the two clamps that came with the machine. I need to buy Yonex flying clamps, but they're just SO darn expensive.

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Good for you on doing good job on M140. If you are looking for a good deal on the YY clamp, look around and you might find a good source. Practice on the cross weave, that is where time is saved...

11. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    I've strung two more rackets today, the machine is already half way to "paying for itself."

I've also had people ask me to string their rackets, and since I'm relatively new, I offer the first string job free, with the choice of payment of $10 labor. Consecutive string jobs require payment upon collection.

Its such a solid machine, that I even managed to pull of a 20/28 job, and a 18/28 job, with no warping at all. Though, that may have something to do with the fact that the Trixon 8 is such a solid racket.

Anyways, I especially have you to thank, Sir Silentheart, for your highly informative guide on stringing with the M140. My only gripe is that the string gripper is quite a distance away from the racket.

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    What do you mean what you say 20/28 job? Do you mean the reference tension is 20 lbs for the main strings and 28 lbs for the cross strings?

13. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Yes indeed sir Pete LSD. I tensioned 20 lbs for the mains, and 28 lbs for the crosses, with a 2 pounds prestretch on both. The second time was 18 lbs for the mains and 28 pounds for the crosses.

14. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

Hi, there is a couple of things I have to ask (probably the same as what Pete have in mind)

1. are you sure the tension is accurate?
    2. which weight are you using for the klippermate?
    3. did you notice deformity on the racket head?

15. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    1. I did check the calibration with the old "massive water jug" technique.

2. I did the first one with the tennis weight, and the second one with the seperately bought badminton weight.

3. There was almost no deformity in the racket head actually. When i compared it to an identical head shape, they were pretty much identical to what I could see from all angles.

16. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

^ interesting. i want to see what master SH and Pete think of it. but certainly it should lead to a longer racket head. =T

17. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    thats exactly what i was expecting too. In fact, I even reasoned that due to the isometric shaped head, it would place FAR too much stress on the corners of the box shape frame, and cause a break. But interesting enough, it didn't. But what I could see happening, is a sort of "equilibrium."

Granted its a two-piece, so there's no evening out of the tension, but reason tells me that the pulling of the cross strings certainly lengthened the racket, but that in turn caused the mains to stretch and increased the tension in the mains as well, which helped to balance out the racket somewhat. Because my 20/28 job certainly didn't feel like 24 pounds, and my 18/28 job didn't feel like 23 pounds. The former felt more like 25.5, and the 18/28 felt more liek 24.5. I have a racket strung at 25 pounds by Sir Dink, and the former felt slightly tighter, though it had a bouncier response, and the latter felt a little looser, but still bouncier than the one from Sir Dink. It definitely threw off my net game and drops but made smash defense a breeze.

18. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

also where did you come up with your conclusion/method to develop the numbers for the main and cross?

19. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    There was another thread on here somewhere, that had someone who did a similar thing, only his racket was strung with 26/36 I believe. So I adjusted it for my preferred tension of 24-25 pounds, because I was experimenting with a high excess of ZM62 since I like ZM67 better at this point.

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Maybe we should continue M140 and "special" string tensions in another thread. The original poster is asking for Hawk16, and we are way out of the original topics now. ;)