Places to play in Kitchener-Waterloo Area

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by InToNiK-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Most ppl call me Howard...others Howie. I think the only ppl that i know currently at the badminton club there are the directors/execs: Julie, Wilson (both of them), Jane and LJ (Loh John...he loves to play singles).

I'm sure you know/watched/heard of/played with some of the varsity players:
    Rhoma, Chris and Lisa Erven, Ricky, Chris Zacka, Loreen, Charles, Rolf.

i think a lot of them play at KW..

2. jimthegreatone

jimthegreatone Regular Member

nice to meet u...

cool... i think the only person i haven't met on ur list is Jane and one of the Wilsons... (the one that's not Julie's bf... ) :)

Luckily, I was on the varsity team too... :D but i missed the only 1 or 2 training session that was held at KW because I had projects due the next day...

Do you happen to know where KW is? how far is it away from campus? and if there's any bus that can go there?
    Cause I'm still a first-year... and i don't have a car... which sux... so then it's hard for me to get to places... :p

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Hey Jim,

I'm in waterloo this spring too, so we should definitely get together to do some training.

Victor

4. jimthegreatone

:eek: :D YO Victor~~~ swwwweeettt... I was soooo worried that there's no one to train with... but I guess that problem's solved... hahahahaha... nice nice... I kept my training up in NY... and I think I've improved... at least fitness wise... :rolleyes: ... hehe... hope to see u in the spring!!!

5. BooCloud

BooCloud Regular Member

Hello

I'm a 4th year Kin Ergo option student.

I will be at UW during the summer, So let me know when you guys are going to KW. Hopefully we can meet up to do some training... I'll probably do foot work and some strokes

we can try to get a group together and go.... we can Just Pm each other our Msn Contacts.

I'll probably play in SOTF this summer... i'll probably be an exec at the club this summer.... I got asked to be a director but i'm not sure how it goes yet...

I know all those people you're talking about = ).... I don't think LJ is an exec.. i'm pretty certain he got kicked out...

anyhow looking forward to your Pm's and training with you guys this summer

6. jimthegreatone

school starts in 3 days~~~
    YAY~ more badminton... hahaha...

7. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    FYI, the K-W Badminton Club's website is now kw.ontariobadminton.on.ca.

The club will be open during the summer but the exact days are to be determined this week. The website will be updated reflecting this information.

Jim, if you're looking for some solid badminton this is the best place to be considering your location.

8. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    Just to update this thread, the K-W badminton club does play with nylon more than before. There's probably a 60/40 split of feather/nylon players and many people don't care what they play with. Wednesdays are a good day to drop in if you want to try out the club since they use a play board similar to what other clubs use.

9. liint

liint Regular Member

Bumping this up. I'll be in the KW area Sunday to Wed next week and wouldn't mind finding a nice drop in place monday or tuesday night. Is the information in this thread still up to date?

10. MissChanChan

MissChanChan Regular Member

Yes, it is still up to date. In June 7th, Pointfore is hosting a tournament at kw as well. It is going to be another fun tournament. Registration starts on May 1st. You can find more information on www.pointfore.ca

11. emba33

emba33 Regular Member

If you a looking for good recreational badminton, the following places are available this summer:

Breithaupt Community Center - Costs $4.25 (includes shuttle costs). July and August 2008 - Tuesday nights 7:15pm to 9:30pm and Sundays (1:00pm to 4:00pm).

Conestoga College - Cost $3 (bring your own shuttles). July and August 2008 - Thursday nights 6:30pm to 9:30pm at the Recreation complex.

There are also alternatives like the KW Badminton Club and the YMCA. All locations are in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.

If you would like more information, send me a private email and I can attempt to answer your questions.

-- Emba33

12. inkydb

inkydb New Member

KW Badminton Returnee

Just started playing again after a 20+ year absence. Went to a recent doubles ladder at KW Badminton and have to agree with some of the comments here. Fairly hyper-competitive, people seemed sort of clique-y (sp?) or snobby, rather than just having fun people were telling me how to play, groaning when I hit a bad shot, etc.. Not a real fun time but admittedly I sort of stunk and they stuck me in the middle of the ladder where I don't belong at this stage.

I'm going to definitely keep it up for the year and see if my fun increases as my quality of play does. May also try some of the other less competitive groups in the city.

Oh, and using feather birdies was new for me as well - quite a difference from the old nylon. Got a lot to learn I think. :crying:

13. emba33

emba33 Regular Member

Come on out ...

I would strongly suggest you come out to play at Breithaupt Community Centre tonight (Thursday) 7:15pm to 10:15pm. Also, we play at Breithaupt on Sunday from 1:00pm to 4:00pm. There is a good mix of players. I plan to be there. My name is Scott. We play nylon. Anyone who can sustain a rally is welcome to join us. Cost is $4.25 including tax -- or you can buy coupons for less.

Emba33

14. inkydb

inkydb New Member

Scott, really nice of you to offer. I'm actually going to try at KW tonight again (same doubles ladder idea), but may take you up on your offer on Sunday. Are there big crowds at Breithaupt during these open times? How do you pair up to play? Like I said, I have a lot to learn..... Thanks again.

15. emba33

emba33 Regular Member

Doubles

Breithaupt only has 3 courts ... so they will only take a maximum of 30 people. Lately, there have been about 20 people. On Sundays, it is less busy ... and we might be a dozen --- which means, you will play a lot of badminton.

Someone makes the matches based on your skill level. The person making the matches will attempt to make every game good once they see your skills. Sunday is a very informal day, so it is quite good. I have played "ladder night" before --- but I noticed it is $12 for guests. If I pay for a few feather birds ... I am looking at a $20 night ... which seems a little unreasonable to me. It just adds to the "elitism" vibe of the place.

- Emba33

16. emba33

emba33 Regular Member

Hi Folks:

Quick update --- for players in the Waterloo area, I have been playing at the YMCA in Kitchener, Ontario ... on Courtland Ave. It's about $8 for non-members. You make your own games. They have badminton on Thursday and Sunday evening for 2 hours. Check the schedule for actual times.

The floor is good, the lighting is average, the ceiling height is good ... no "air flow" issues to redirect the shuttle.

Most of the people are pretty nice. As with many places, people have their favourite groups to play with, so that can be an issue. Also, I find that two hours is just not enough time to get enough games in. I wish they offered more evenings ... because it is a very popular destination.

17. emba33

emba33 Regular Member

Summer Badminton - Thursday Nights - Connestoga College

I have just confirmed summer badminton on Thursday in 2009, starting July 2nd and ending September 3rd. Guests are welcome to drop in (the fee is only $3). You need to bring your own birds ... and make your own matches (there are usually between 20 to 30 people out to choose from). Some people have been bringing kids, who play with the other kids on 2 of the 8 available courts. There are all levels of players there.

Last year, we saw players from the Cambridge, Guelph, Stratford, Kitchener, Elmira and Waterloo areas.

Parking is free. Park in the lot beside the large building (the Recreation Complex) with the rounded roof. The college is located just off Highway 401 in Kitchener (off Homer Watson Blvd).

- Emba 33

18. emba33

emba33 Regular Member

Summer Badminton - Recreational Badminton July/August 2009
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Just because it is summer, it does not mean you have to go without playing your favourite sport. The following venues are available:

Breithaupt Community Centre (Kitchener) - Cost $4.75 (birds supplied)
    Sundays: 1:30pm to 4:00pm weekly. Starts July 12th.
    Tuesday: 7:15pm to 10:15pm weekly. Starts 7th.

YMCA (Kitchener) - Cost (guests - $9) (birds supplied) (members - free)
    Thursday, Sunday evenings - see YMCA schedule
    Link: http://www.kwymca.org/Contribute/health/documents/SummerSchedule2009_000.doc

Connestoga College (Kitchener) - $3 (bring your own birds)
    Thursday nights, 6:30pm to 9:30pm
    Starts July 2nd (Recreation Complex)

19. mrzhouw

mrzhouw Regular Member

Hi emba33:

any idea about the current schedule of badminton in Connestoga College? I don't find this information from their website. thanks.

Wei

20. emba33

emba33 Regular Member

Conestogo

Hi Wei (BTW, is you last name Zhang?):

The summer badminton has completed. Call the Recreation Complex, or send an email to "Marlene Ford". I think she is still the coordinator there.

Emba33