Super Series Finals 2008.. the Grand Finale

Discussion in 'Super Series Master Finals 2008' started by Chaojidan, Oct 6, 2008.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

How not to when it's the best of the best? That's maximum quality with minimum loss of time.
    In fact I happened to visit KK last month. Worth another visit.
    Count me and I believe, Jen , in.
    What's the official hotel?
    How about taking care of the accm since you're so good at negotiating? The hotel prices are twice that of JKT for the similar class though.

2. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Well, if that's how China thinks... [a tournament with no ranking = not important]... then, thank you China... :D Give the rest of the world a chance to earn US$ 500,000! It is good for badminton worldwide!!! ;)

3. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    They should announce this way ahead..this put disadvantages for some players like Wacha...he has a chacne to be in super series final...if he is not participating in HKG and China Open then he wont qualify..Simon also did not kow and he is still sick so Taufik has a clear advantage over Simon.......Flandy/Vita has a chance but since they did not know if SS Final will be exist ,Vita told me that she and flandy still could register to play China/HKG Open to qualify (8 tournaments) even now they rank 6...

I hope BWF announces early January 2009 so all players are aware.
    When I was in French Open...Some players are in doubt if SS Final will be...they did asl BWF official to make sure it is not BS like last year....

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Apparently the Association of the country knows. Maybe they didnt inform the coaches and the players?

5. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    No even PBSI did not know at all.......not even DEN or China also...they did hear the rumour a week before BWF announced it...they did think it was supposed in China...
    Even Candra heard of it but not sure it would happen....even TH did not know..he is busy with exhibition in Phillipine,Toronto in December and hoping to get invited for Copenhagen Masters even Sony/MK/HS....

I can say that this is being managed poorly........by BWF....now suddenly Andrew Smith or Ng Wei has a chance to be in top 8...:confused::eek:

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Well at least they have chance to win the big bucks. So next year.. those who missed the SS F this year.. will participate in more SS events.

7. Yong_Hui

Yong_Hui Regular Member

Accountant
    i'm interesting with the case in double; how if they have separate?
    and also in MD Chandra/Tony according to current rank is qualified for the SS final. Which country they representing? INA has 2 doubles in top 8 SS rank; KinDra and luluk/alvent..

8. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Why should sponsors hide their identity? Wouldn't they want to be known so they can earn goodwill or increased sales from it?

9. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i remember that years ago when china first started to play in international tournaments, one year in all england 1/4 final 7 out of the 8 WS are chinese plus a danish. we dont really want to see that again, do we?

as for min 8 SS to qualify, let say for the olympics year one can play in 7 SS and won them all plus the olympics gold metal and still not qualify for the 'FINAL'! what a joke.

#49 AlanY, Nov 4, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

The main sponsors..

..based on the news/reports for this yr's Super Series Finale, the main/key sponsors are:
    Yonex Sunrise (S'pore)
    BAM
    ISC (International television broadcast rights holder)

(actually the upcoming edition is technically delayed from last yr. Remember last yr's year end SS Finale was postponed to January this yr. Then they scratched the plan. So, i guess the one coming up is actually from last yr's):p

#50 ctjcad, Nov 4, 2008
  11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I'm proposing..

..(this is just an exception) BWF to amend the current rule and allow the top 8 SS qualifiers from last year and this year to participate. In other words, just merge last yr's SS tourneys with this yr's.
    BWF planned the whole SS Grand Finale at beginning of last yr only to see them botched up the SS Grand Finale plan from last year, thus we never had one. So, the one coming up is, technically, from last year.
    I think if they held a SS Grand Finale last yr, then this yr's SS Grand Finale would justify only those who participated in this yr's SS tourneys.:cool:

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Actually, no one's stopping LD from missing SS tournaments.But LYB usually discourage LD from playing unless he has a good chance of winning.He knows it's not good for LD's image or confidence if LD were to lose in ,say,JO08,CM08,DO08 or FO08 after his sensational OG08 gold.Look at BCL, CJ and LCW.They have not been in impressive form after OG08.LYB had pulled LD out of IO07? after he lost to BP in SPO07? because LYB knew LD's confidence would drop and so in no condition to win IO07?
    But LD made the right decision to focus on OG.His OG gold is probably worth 20 years of winning SSF, judging from what taneepak said about LD's endorsement deals.Smart LD.

13. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Not only LD, KOR MIX also wont qualify....the problem..most of gold medalists are happy and prefer not to particpate more tournaments after olympics.....Kido/Hendra participated right after Olympics...so why cant LD and KOR XD do same thing?

14. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Because of late announcement from BWF and with minimum of 8 SS, many players wont qualify:

LD
    XXF
    He Han bin/Yuyang (only 7 with upcoming HKG and China)
    FHF/CY
    XZB/Zhang Ya wen
    Flandy/Vita
    LYD/LHJ
    LHJ/her partner
    LYD/JJS
    Lee Jiman/his partner
    Reiko/Ogura
    Alvent/Luluk
    Park Sung Hwan
    One of Japanese MD

Trust me!! If BWF let this announcement earlier, I am sure China wont split FHF and Cai Yun and will send HHB/YY to denmark ....
    I just think it is not fair..................

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    BWF cannot be blamed

BWF cannot be blamed. And the all National Associations know it.

For those who do not know, BWF is trying to follow the IOC (International Olympic Committee).

BWF wanted to remain as an international non-governmental non-profit organisation, but an organiser of Badminton tournament schedules.

BWF informed all National Associations that they wish to have a city to host the SS Finals. The city is to provide a venue for the tournament, accommodation (like an Olympic Village) for players and officials, advertisements/ticket sales for the event, etc...

BWF said they will supply the prize monies of US$500,000.00. But all other incomes/expenses are to be earned/incurred by the host city. It's just like what the IOC do for the Olympics.

Of course, BWF will look at how well the organising skills and the venue condition of previous sporting events held in that city.

We, here in Melbourne, Australia, were given the OK to host the SS Finals. We have the skills and venue to hold it. Unfortunately, because Badminton is not as popular here, we couldn't get enough financial support from sponsors and the government. We estimated that we need to supply US$250,000.00 to hold the event. And we weren't sure that we could recuperate this amount through ticket sales. Eventually, we gave up our wish to host it, only just last week.

Luckily, for us Badminton fans, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia, said they would hold the event if Melbourne, Australia, couldn't.

All our problems in holding Badminton tournaments go back to MONEY, not the management or the organising skills.

Cheers... chris@ccc
    :):):)

#55 chris-ccc, Nov 4, 2008
  16. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Trust me!! most of federations did not know that SS final will happen.....why?? last August I asked BWF and they are not sure if they will have it....so how you are so sure that all federations knows about it....we knew it last year guess what it did not happen...
    For example.Tony/Candra declined Copenhagen Master to join SS Final..guess what? no SS final and no Copenhagen for them either...who was to blame? BWF....
    Even last year..BWF said that they had sponsor but no host...I said that Jakarta could be the host..guess what? actually they had NO Sponsorship...thats all lies from BWF...even some players gave up about SS Final!!..again,..we will blame BWF...

17. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

So, the late announcement was due to no host country until last minute and BWF didnt want to suffer embarrassment of last year when it had to be cancelled. If they announced earlier but host country pulled out last minute, problem. If they dont announce earlier, the coaches & players cant plan accordingly,hmmm, catch 22.
    ;)

#57 eaglehelang, Nov 4, 2008
  18. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Bottom line is it all comes down to money. If we were tennis, we'd have money all lined up years in advance, and therefore the schedule can be pretty much fixed from much early on.

19. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Hish, KK is too close for u, maybe u should do the honours of arranging our accommodation ..... I am too tired to do that with all my projects still on-going.

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I don't think CHN care that much about SSF because of the max 2 per country rule.They indicated that before.KOR 's not bothered about ranking points even.
    But it matters to INA.
    The minimum 8 out of 12 SS participation is an excellent rule.Because of that,eg,TH decided to play in Shanghai as well and that certainly jazzes up the tournament.It's one way to ensure there are enough star players in almost all SS.Otherwise why call it Super Series?
    In the light of uncertainty of SSF,the sensible choice is to make sure to play in 8 tournaments for insurance.How difficult a decision is that? There should be no dilemma at all.
    I don't think Andrew Smith is a bad player when his head is in top form. He troubled Sony endlessly in TC08.