How important is a tournament coach?

Discussion in 'Super Series Master Finals 2008' started by pjswift, Dec 31, 2008.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

SSF saw some players competing without any coach or their regular coach.MK/HS were coachless.MAS players had coach assistants to guide them while the Danes had compatriots to look out for them.The outcome:
    1) MK/HS did not play badly but they had a harder time defeating their opponents, with most matches stretched to rubber.Eventually they lost their last two matches, also in rubber.There was no doubt they were in rubber shape after the last point but they could still smile with their eyes when I saw them.Having a coach definitely makes the difference between winning a title or none.At least MK/HS now knows that.
    2)MAS couple, LCW and WMC both had coach Tay while coach Pang was super busy with the MD,WD and XD.The performances were excellent even when they lost.For the first time, even MAS media wrote about MAS WD's fighting spirit instead of 'weak mentality'.It was interesting that the MAS players who won titles said they did not train 100% but had more 'rest' as they were looking at SSF more like a 'working holiday'. But I must say both Tay and Pang did a splendid job.In fact, they may be more effective than Rexy and Misbun because they are more like brothers to the MAS players,hence more rapport and calmimg effect.Whereas Rexy and Misbun are more fatherlike figures, thus more stressful and less positive effect on their charges.So maybe better for Misbun and Rexy to stay home as training coaches while Tay and Pang guide as tournament coaches.
    3)I asked Laybourn how effective are teammates as coaches.He said good enough because as professionals they can also be coaches.Maybe fulltime coaches have better insights but he does not think the difference would be significant.But a coach is definitely a plus, even when playing well; if only to give a pat on the back and say,'Keep cruising'.
    According to fastdrop, Dicky Palyama reckons a coach can contribute 20% difference to a player's performance.From one, even 30%.In fact, fastdrop noted Sony had 3 different coaches for 3 recent SS with 3 different outcomes.

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Errrr, One minor point, for the gals, the media have mentioned abt WPT/CEH fighting spirit bf, when they lost in 2008 France SS. Expectations are lower on the gals and less criticism cos they have been doing better than they ever did in previous years.

The 2 MD pairs have won & lost matches with Rexy & Pang there. But from my observation, KKK/TBH tend to win more with Pang there than the other assistants. Perhaps Pang is more familiar with their styles than Rosman Razak (newly promoted from back up squad). And yup, they do seem to be less stressed without Rexy around.

As for WD, Pang was training them before OG.After OG, they trained under Rexy, which seems better for them.Personally, I think for WPT/CEH, having Rexy at courtside is better for them.

Tey is also 'new' to guiding the elit/senior players in tournamens. Tey trains Julia Wong & Lydia Cheah . He did mention they keep close contact with Misbun through out the SS Finals.Misbun's look so cool all the time, he's supposed to be the calming effect for LCW :D:p.
    In any case, we shall see more of Tey in MO & Korea 2009, as Misbun is ill.

#2 eaglehelang, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I think a coach is important because they can help keep the player's confident, as well as help a player become confidence if they had an awful set or something. As well, they can help spot some weaknesses that the players themselves will not catch.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Consulting one's coach at Badminton tournament matches

How important is a tournament coach?

I would say it is important.

IMHO, the important reason for a player to bring along his/her coach to a tournament is that a coach can help in the mental and tactical aspects during match performances.

For a lower level player, a coach can help him/her to forget nervousness and to concentrate on the task in hand. Here, confidence plays an important role.

For a higher level player, a coach can help him/her to read more into the tactical aspect of the match. Here, the coach and the player will discuss whether to continue with their preplanned tactical approach against an opponent, or to abandon it to try something different.

This is one good thing about Badminton. Players are allowed to consult coaches during intervals.

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I agree. Even as an advanced player, I sometimes get nervous and it's nice to talk to a coach. The tactics thing is important too; I can think of a couple of matches I might have lost if I didn't have my coach with me.

6. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    But most of the time, these pro players were facing the other direction doing something else like drinking water, toweling, looking around not paying attention. At least they should be standing facing and looking at their coaches' faces. Just make me think that they didn't care what their coaches' were talking.